• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sleeping Bags and Sleeping Bag Liner

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I have a question for those who do camping. I need to get my son a sleeping bag for camp and the camp has a minimum temperature rating. When I was at REI, they bag liners were explained as to lower the temperature rating by the temperature rating of the bag liner. I'm debating on getting just the bag at the temperature rating or getting a bag with a higher temperature rating and a bag liner to get to the camp's temperature rating. That way my son would have a bit of flexibility with the temperature rating depending on the ambient temperature. Does anybody use or have they used a bag liner that could give me their opinions?

Thanks

Usually a bag liner is “less” trouble to launder than the whole sleeping bag at once.
OM

I always use a liner. Not just for the ease of laundering, but it also makes the inside last longer.
I've tried a few, and really don't care for the silk or synthetic types - while they do improve warmth, they just "felt" weird to me, and didn't allow perspiration to evaporate as well as flannel or cotton, even when fully opening everything in the morning.

Be aware that sometimes a liner can get tangled up if you move around a lot in your sleep, or just shifting to a more comfortable position. Sometimes they can be tied to loops inside the bag's perimeter.

Instead of REI's high prices, get a flannel sheet, fold it in half lengthwise, and sew three sides closed.

Don't forget that a quality ground pad contributes to comfort and warmth too!

Like the others, I use a liner partly to keep my bag clean and reduce wear and tear. But I also find the liner indispensable on long trips where I experience a variety of conditions. Yes, it can add warmth. But there are times when the conditions are so warm and muggy that I use just the liner, leaving the sleeping bag stowed.

Pete

No matter what type of camping, my choice is more towards avoiding bulk and not having to manage any excessive gear, preferring a decent backpacking bag that compresses to a small size and isn't a mummy-bag - a wider box at the toes helps me sleep.

I've done quite a bit of camping on foot, motorbikes and coastal sea kayaking, and haven't used a liner more than a handful of times. Adjusting the zipper usually suffices for temperature changes. Some bags have zippers at the feet, which also helps cooling options.

I believe modern materials are far superior than home made efforts. And as for warmth, don't skimp on a sleeping pad - that's the key to comfort and warmth... for me anyway. I prefer a full length pad.

My 2¢: A decent synthetic or semi-synthetic backpacking bag with a wide toe box, that compresses small - and add about 10 degrees from the temperature rating (5° is generally 15°). A decent air mattress that also rolls small - I have a Big Agnes that has larger baffles on the sides so I don't roll off.

Buy the best you can afford. YMMV.

I've camped in the Canadian Rockies a lot where the night time temperatures, even in the warm summer months, can make sleeping in comfort a challenge. Sleeping bag ratings are optimistic at best so getting the lowest temperature rating within the limits of packing size is the best bet. Packed size vs rating is a compromise, but I'd rather have more bulk and some hope of being able to sleep without freezing. I'd get the bag with the lower temp rating and add the liner for insurance and ease of care and cleaning.

The third factor in the equation is of course cost. You can reduce bulk and have a good rating with a more expensive down fill bag. Also, a good insulated pad helps to keep the cold from penetrating from the ground since the bottom of the bag is compressed and much less effective at insulating.

Like the others, I use a liner partly to keep my bag clean and reduce wear and tear. But I also find the liner indispensable on long trips where I experience a variety of conditions. Yes, it can add warmth. But there are times when the conditions are so warm and muggy that I use just the liner, leaving the sleeping bag stowed.

Pete

I'll agree with Pete - it's nice to have options. I have a coolmax liner that stuffs down to the size of a pop can when stowed. It kept me much warmer when needed inside of a sleeping bag when the temps in Alaska were down in the 30's, but was also a welcome light blanket when the temps finally become much warmer and humid.

Thanks for everyone's opinions and suggestions. FYI, the camp my son is going to requests synthetic fill and no down. So, it's a synthetic filled bag for him. It does look like we will be getting a bag and a liner. In fact, you've convinced me to get a liner for me as well. Keep the thoughts and opinion coming though.

I have a silk liner that I always pack but never use. I highly prefer down bags as I find they breathe better. I too recommend a bag rated to the temp you need and just adding a liner. My silk liner packs smaller than a soda can.

I have a silk liner that I always pack but never use. I highly prefer down bags as I find they breathe better. I too recommend a bag rated to the temp you need and just adding a liner. My silk liner packs smaller than a soda can.

:thumb Same here.

Besides my silk liner which I always carry, I made a liner out of a sheet for my air mattress. On unbearably humid nights, I sleep on the sheet liner over the air mattress.

For just hot nights, I sleep on my open down filled sleeping bag (rated down to freezing). If I wake a bit cool, I pull the cover over me.

I always find that liners get twisted during the night and I wake up in the dark in a full body straitjacket :eek -- so no liners for me!

Ken

I always find that liners get twisted during the night and I wake up in the dark in a full body straitjacket :eek -- so no liners for me!

Ken

I agree. But on our last trip to Alaska I did bring an extra Army surplus wool blanket as a throw-over when it got really cold. And yes - it took up space but I had it in my across-the-seat camping gear bag.

Usually a bag liner is “less” trouble to launder than the whole sleeping bag at once.
OM

I’ve been using my down filled sleeping bag since 2009. It gets washed after every trip which is simple enough to do. However only it and six or eight tennis balls go into the dryer which restores it to it’s original shape.

I’ve been using my down filled sleeping bag since 2009. It gets washed after every trip which is simple enough to do. However only it and six or eight tennis balls go into the dryer which restores it to it’s original shape.

Following proper maintenance for an expensive sleeping bag really makes a difference. :thumb

OM

Back