• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Luggage Liners - R1200 GSA LC

globalrider

Alps Adventurer
I have a set of the BMW Aluminum Bags that most have and I'd like to get a set of luggage liners so that I can leave the bags on the bike and not drag them up to my motel room. Therefore I need a set of luggage liners. And having some Daerr aluminum bags on my KLR 650, any bag you put into them turns black due to the aluminum.

Not interested in spraying pick-up truck bed liner into my bags, but has anyone used these thin nylon bag liners that would stay in the bag and I can then slide some BMW or other brand bag liner in them.

1708485136446.png

An alternative to bed liner to coat the inside of aluminum bags is just simply an ample couple of coats of hair spray which is essentially lacquer.

Would like something more permanent and that adheres to the aluminum. On aluminum we'd acid wash it and then apply an epoxy primer on aircraft. Or maybe XPEL Paint Protection Film, but that is work to apply.

I have glued marine trailer bunk carpet inside my cases with great succes. The luggage bags slip right in or out easily and don’t get blackened by the aluminum. The bunk carpet is strong and will last the lifetime of the bags as after all it can handle boats sliding on and off the trailer.

I have glued marine trailer bunk carpet inside my cases with great succes. The luggage bags slip right in or out easily and don’t get blackened by the aluminum. The bunk carpet is strong and will last the lifetime of the bags as after all it can handle boats sliding on and off the trailer.

I never heard of it but then I never had a boat. I Googled the above and came across it. Some rolls were plain and other rolls with an adhesive backing.

I got the plain one and applied 3M spray adhesive to glue it all up. The adhesive backed one may be a bit less messy and easier to apply…

Thin closed cell foam and some 3M adhesive spray? Craft stores should carry it if not then Amazon. 1/16" thick should do it.

Most any material will work to negate the aluminum from rubbing off on the contents. Cleaning the aluminum and an application of the appropriate 3-M spray adhesive will stick towel material, canvas, heavy mil plastic, or any of the suggested coverings.
After application of a liner, a plastic bag like the grocery stores use will allow easy removal of what was packed, especially if a “carpet“ style project is used to line the case interior.
OM

I'd think that the Paint Protection Film we see on the front of cars would suit this purpose nicely.

Or shelf paper, if you want a jazzy pattern inside your aluminum boxes. I went with the black ADV bags, which are black on the inside as well and won't leave black marks on the bag liners.

I'd think that the Paint Protection Film we see on the front of cars would suit this purpose nicely.

Or shelf paper, if you want a jazzy pattern inside your aluminum boxes. I went with the black ADV bags, which are black on the inside as well and won't leave black marks on the bag liners.

Thought about it but the glue on shelf paper likely won't handle the heat. And I have applied PPF on surfaces like gas tanks and fork legs where I had plenty of room to work with it.

I have the BMW aluminum bags already that I bought in 2016...never used them as my GiVi top case carried everything for multi-day tours.

In the past on my Oilhead GSA, I always used the regular side-opening BMW plastic cases simply because I didn't want that Hummer-look. When I bought my R1200 GSA LC, one of the option pachages had the aluminum case mounts pre-installed at the factory.

I'll first check out that marine carpet with the adhesive backing.

I got the plain one and applied 3M spray adhesive to glue it all up. The adhesive backed one may be a bit less messy and easier to apply…

By the way, for everybody's info in case they are unaware, the 3M spray adhesive is available in different grades based on where it is used. On cars, one of their 3M spray adhesives can handle headliners and sound deadeners used under engine hoods. They usually list a temperature.

By the way, for everybody's info in case they are unaware, the 3M spray adhesive is available in different grades based on where it is used. On cars, one of their 3M spray adhesives can handle headliners and sound deadeners used under engine hoods. They usually list a temperature.
Most any material will work to negate the aluminum from rubbing off on the contents. Cleaning the aluminum and an application of the appropriate 3-M spray adhesive will stick towel material, canvas, heavy mil plastic, or any of the suggested coverings.
After application of a liner, a plastic bag like the grocery stores use will allow easy removal of what was packed, especially if a “carpet“ style project is used to line the case interior.
OM
Specifically why I mentioned “appropriate 3-M spray adhesive“.
There is an interesting difference. :thumb
OM

Specifically why I mentioned “appropriate 3-M spray adhesive“.
There is an interesting difference. :thumb
OM

Exactly. When I needed to install a new engine sound pad in the 993, its a lot easier with the engine out while I was doing other maintenance items. Using the wrong glue after the engine is back in is a bit late to find out I should have used another adhesive.

I was thinking about this a little. Are the BMW bags not treated internally? I've not read of people having to insert liners for their liners inside of ADV bags.

The bags on the KLR may not have any finish coat on the inside, but given that my black ADV bags are also black on the inside, it seems reasonable that the exterior finish on the silver ADV bags may extend to the interior and that black stuff you get from the KLR may not be an issue.

Might be worth looking at before you expend any time or energy on solving a problem that might not exist?

I was reading your initial post and wondering if extrapolating what would happen with BMW bags from what happens with KLR bags may not be applicable.

Plus, I'm cheap. :ha

My bags say Touratech inside of them, so you may be able to glean some details from their website about finishes.

I was thinking about this a little. Are the BMW bags not treated internally? I've not read of people having to insert liners for their liners inside of ADV bags.

Maybe other people are not particular. If the ADV bags aren't plain aluminum, they might be a clear anodized or alclad.

I don't do anything half-way and if I am buying upper end bag liners like BMW or Kathy's, I don't want them blackened by aluminum, otherwise I can get cheap bag liners for $50 a pair.

Nahhh, I'll glue that marine carpet in place and it prevents hard items from rattling around.

My aluminum panniers were very dirty as they anodized. I used Rust-Oleum for aluminum. Sanded inside and spray painted. I did the the top outside too for the tent sack, etc. Worked great and lasted well too.

Back