• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2018 GSA, Good buy?

MedicMikey

Hey guys and gals,

I already have a 2016 K1600GTL and I love it. But, I am thinking about getting dirty.
I am looking at a 2018.5 R1200 GSA, it has all 3 BMW hard aluminum bags, Clearwater lights, digital dash, premium, and Nav VI.
The dealer is asking $16,999 out the door. It has 19,600 miles.

Is this a good deal, fair deal? It looks in decent shape from the pics. I am looking for a bike to get into adventure riding. I did motocross a long time ago, and my 30 years has been primarily road over 3 different continents. I have seen 2015 GSA's for $14,999 without the Clearwater lights, or gps, so I figure an extra 2 grand for newer model and digital dash.
Thanks guys!

Sounds like a pretty good price from a dealer.

Thanks! My first BMW was a 2004 K1200LT. I carved through twisty's like it was a moto GP bike. Loved it, until the wife sold it while I was in the hospital. ...yeah that went over well. 😎

I've had a similar itch. Recently saw this 2018 GSA at my local dealer. Few more miles, few more dollars. Data point, but not familiar with reasonable price on these models.
https://bmwmotorcyclesofgreatercincinnati.com/Showroom/Pre-Owned-Inventory

BewareBoy,
The bike I am looking at has been at the dealer for over a hundred days. MotoHunt (dot Com) is good at listing the length of days a bike has been at a dealer. It may help you get a deal on the bike you listed. It looks great, but I think the price listed is a bit high. My local motorrad dealer is the same, great service but very high used bike prices. FYI, when I bought my 2016 K1600GTL it only had 8800 miles, and I bought am extended warranty and service contact through my local dealer. I got a much better price then the BMW dealer in California was offering.
Stay safe brother,
Medic Mikey

I'm at 30K miles on my 2018 GSA (since I have 5 bikes, they don't all rack up the miles as fast as they should) and my GS has been problem free except the smartphone connection tech which I gave up on the first year of ownership. Just be prepared to rely on having a real GPS or smartphone mount versus using the TFT for navigation and music. It's the last year of the 1200 wethead GS which has 6+ years of production to get the kinks worked out. No shift assist issues like the 2016 and 2017 had and it's a strong clutch and probably had the splines lubed from the factory. 2018s DID have a bulletin for spoked wheels as the new supplier was ****e but that was fixed when they replaced my wheels after 500 miles when my front and rear each had over 20 loose spokes before I even got home from the dealer.

No mechanical issues with my 2018 since then and I ride it very hard (BDR, ATV trails, GS trophy qualifier, long distance touring at 80MPH) it handles it all. Oh and valves are still in spec.

Keep in mind that used motorcycle prices have risen this year, maybe not as much as new and used cars have, but they have risen. Manufacturers have cited the chip shortage and parts supply chain issues that kept their new stock lower than what they would have liked, and another factor was motorcycle demand went up 9% in 2021. There may be less “great deals” than we have been used to seeing in the past, so I wouldn’t quibble over a few dollars when looking to buy. (I know that’s easy for me to say as a non buyer right now, but that’s how I see it)

I bought a 12 yr old used motorcycle at the end of spring and listed it a week ago for around 12% more than I paid, and I had three buyers very interested in it at full asking price. I sold it to the first buyer that could arrive to see it. One of the other two sent me angry texts because I wouldn’t wait another day or two for him to have a chance to see it. What was I supposed to do, wait and let the three see it and bid against each other for it? I didn’t want to be a d*ck and I got grief anyway!

Keep in mind that used motorcycle prices have risen this year, maybe not as much as new and used cars have, but they have risen. Manufacturers have cited the chip shortage and parts supply chain issues that kept their new stock lower than what they would have liked, and another factor was motorcycle demand went up 9% in 2021. There may be less “great deals” than we have been used to seeing in the past, so I wouldn’t quibble over a few dollars when looking to buy. (I know that’s easy for me to say as a non buyer right now, but that’s how I see it)

I bought a 12 yr old used motorcycle at the end of spring and listed it a week ago for around 12% more than I paid, and I had three buyers very interested in it at full asking price. I sold it to the first buyer that could arrive to see it. One of the other two sent me angry texts because I wouldn’t wait another day or two for him to have a chance to see it. What was I supposed to do, wait and let the three see it and bid against each other for it? I didn’t want to be a d*ck and I got grief anyway!

You did the right thing. First come (with funds) is first served. I have waited if the person calls and said they are in route with funds. However, only to the extent I’ve told any other inquiries that sale is pending for next one or two hours. If a potential buyer doesn’t understand this basic buyer/seller protocol, then I’d question their earnest.

Hey guys and gals,

I already have a 2016 K1600GTL and I love it. But, I am thinking about getting dirty.
I am looking at a 2018.5 R1200 GSA, it has all 3 BMW hard aluminum bags, Clearwater lights, digital dash, premium, and Nav VI.
The dealer is asking $16,999 out the door. It has 19,600 miles.

Is this a good deal, fair deal? It looks in decent shape from the pics. I am looking for a bike to get into adventure riding. I did motocross a long time ago, and my 30 years has been primarily road over 3 different continents. I have seen 2015 GSA's for $14,999 without the Clearwater lights, or gps, so I figure an extra 2 grand for newer model and digital dash.
Thanks guys!

I would be asking $19,900 here in Detroit if it was on my floor!

I would be asking $19,900 here in Detroit if it was on my floor!

Really? wow I paid $20,500 for my loaded 2018 GSA in 2018. It's only depreciated $600 in 4 years?

V7cPhbx.png

Adam, Thanks

I'm at 30K miles on my 2018 GSA (since I have 5 bikes, they don't all rack up the miles as fast as they should) and my GS has been problem free except the smartphone connection tech which I gave up on the first year of ownership. Just be prepared to rely on having a real GPS or smartphone mount versus using the TFT for navigation and music. It's the last year of the 1200 wethead GS which has 6+ years of production to get the kinks worked out. No shift assist issues like the 2016 and 2017 had and it's a strong clutch and probably had the splines lubed from the factory. 2018s DID have a bulletin for spoked wheels as the new supplier was ****e but that was fixed when they replaced my wheels after 500 miles when my front and rear each had over 20 loose spokes before I even got home from the dealer.

No mechanical issues with my 2018 since then and I ride it very hard (BDR, ATV trails, GS trophy qualifier, long distance touring at 80MPH) it handles it all. Oh and valves are still in spec.

I am looking forward to putting some dirt miles on it.

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks so much! I know there is a drive shaft recall bulletin out.

I have the dealer a $500 hold as I drive from Phoenix to Vegas to check out the bike. I had a RideNow dealer in the Phoenix area sell 2 different bikes out from me while I was enroute to look at them. So, I've learned my lesson.

With this 2018 GSA and my 2016 K1600GTL Exclusive, I think I am pretty set for now.😎

You did the right thing. First come (with funds) is first served. I have waited if the person calls and said they are in route with funds. However, only to the extent I’ve told any other inquiries that sale is pending for next one or two hours. If a potential buyer doesn’t understand this basic buyer/seller protocol, then I’d question their earnest.

Back