• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Road trips and dealers

tonk

Question: After I bought a new BMW last year, I found, to my surprise, that BMW dealers can be few and far between. It was a surprise because BMW is such a well-known brand. I wrongly assumed they had a good dealer network with readily available parts. Short-sighted on my part, I suppose, but now a done deal. I've ridden over a good part of the country on other bikes, and, though I have rarely needed help, I've occasionally found it necessary. My question is, does BMW's vaunted reliability compensate for the lack of dealers, or did I buy myself a handful of trouble?

This is exactly why the MOA publishes the Anonymous book. Carry it on your bike always.

You are now dependent on yourself and whoever you can contact so don't carry an AT&T I-Phone if you ride in rural areas- think Verizon.
In the east you'll likely be 50-100 miles from a dealership if your bike quits and out west it could be several hundred miles, easily.
BMWs are not more reliable than other bikes but many of their failures are electrical and have work arounds if you know how. Regrettably, a few of the rest will get you stuck for days (some have reported over a week) while parts get delivered so be sure to carry enough plastic to cover your related expenses. And if you buy a newly introduced model apparently the repair parts will all still be in Germany (as has been reported for the K1600) while distribution channels slowly catch up. The chance that you will have a breakdown next to a dealership that has all the needed parts in stock is slim to none- most BMW dealerships are small and don't have a large parts inventory anyway but overnight parts delivery for established models is good and from several sources. Its often easier to get a part for a 40 year old BMW airhead than a 10 year old J brand bike...

Will you have a breakdown on your next tour- probably not....Riding partners come in handy if you have one, however.

I carry the Anon. Book (never needed), a GS-911 and netbook with Skype and the factory shop manual loaded (helped quickly roadside diagnose and bypass a dead fuel pressure controller), a tool set that I also use to do my own regular service (so I know the set works and is sufficient) and do longer trips with a riding partner whenever possible (though I'm the one likely to be doing any needed repairs for both of us.)

Answer to your question is: NO! They are not super reliable. They were at one time due to their simple design and relative ease of repair. They have become one of the more complex motorcycles on the road today. Mainly because BMW continues to develop answers to questions that were never asked...like design a less robust final drive, antenna rings, over exposed fuel pump placement, limited amperage for electrical devises, breakdown prone switching controls, weeping seals....need I go on? But as to the question you didn't ask, did you make a mistake buying this BMW, the answer is also NO! Enjoy the ride, the exclusivity and the majority of high quality tsmanship the machine offers. And carry a cellphone and a credit card...as you no doubt already do...and everything will be just fine.

Last edited:
Question: After I bought a new BMW last year, I found, to my surprise, that BMW dealers can be few and far between. It was a surprise because BMW is such a well-known brand. I wrongly assumed they had a good dealer network with readily available parts. Short-sighted on my part, I suppose, but now a done deal. I've ridden over a good part of the country on other bikes, and, though I have rarely needed help, I've occasionally found it necessary. My question is, does BMW's vaunted reliability compensate for the lack of dealers, or did I buy myself a handful of trouble?

You did not buy yourself a handful of trouble. Have poured many miles on an '07 R1200RT and R1200GSADV, as well as an '05 K1200S. Zero issues. None. Never stranded or needed to go looking for a dealer.

Mostly you just don't understand 21st century automotive economics.

Triumph and Ducati and Moto Guzzi may have fewer dealers, but in terms of sales, BMW trails the rest by a wide margin. It's very much a niche bike. And, yes there are more BMW car dealers than BMW motorcycle dealers, but even then there aren't that many.

But one (off topic) thing that makes BMW cars an even bigger headache is their runflat tires, basically only available at BMW dealers. Where I live, I can be 100-150 miles away from a BMW car dealer and 300 miles away from a bike dealer.

Parts are readily available for BMWs (maybe not for a just newly-introduced model) and they can arrive overnight at a dealer via the VOR (vehicle off road) program. Thinking dealers stock parts is fantasy and there's no economic justification. Thinking it's different for other brands is a mistake as well.

A nicely maintained BMW will probably get you home from most rides but it's maybe a good idea to invest in the BMW Roadside Assistance program. It has an iPhone app, too.

It's good to understand that BMW bikes--exactly like BMW cars--are desiged as "cutting edge" and are NOT refrigerators. "Cutting edge" is clearly less reliable than iron and wood. In addition they are designed for Germany, where the nearest dealer is very close indeed.

You are now dependent on yourself and whoever you can contact so don't carry an AT&T I-Phone if you ride in rural areas- think Verizon.

If you're within a couple of miles of an interstate in the US, you have cell service, no matter the carrier.

Germany, where the nearest dealer is very close indeed.

I wouldn't bet on this. I am going over there about 4-5 times on business and I used to have two dealerships I visited regularly in a radius of approximately 60 miles where I am usually going. They are both gone.
The problem with BMW dealerships is very similar to what Harley Davidson is doing to their dealer network:
Any new franchise needs to be a "one brand" dealership. And if you want to get a franchise you have to put over $1 Million of your own money on the table.
Sort of explains why you don't find eager businessmen all over the place to run a BMW dealership.:scratch

Parts are readily available for BMWs (maybe not for a just newly-introduced model) and they can arrive overnight at a dealer via the VOR (vehicle off road) program. Thinking dealers stock parts is fantasy and there's no economic justification. Thinking it's different for other brands is a mistake as well.

The local Honda (motorcycle's not cars) does't stock much in parts. When you needed to bring your bike in for service, first you had to order and pay for the parts. When all the parts came in, they called you to schedule an appointment. Much of this depends on how the owner decides to run their business. So while some may point out the short comings of thier local BMW dealer, it's not always greener on the other side of the fence.

UHaul:)

This works and I've used it "once" in a lot of miles behind me. I find UHaul seems to be near everywhere and in an emergency, rent one:). Sure beats the alternative, tow truck$$$ to a BMW Dealer. I do carry the most obvious tools and even a few parts most talk about failing. Rarely ever needed any rescue,however except the one time UHaul home with my KLT1200 in 2004. FD failure. I'm near my 1 million miles, so no complaints:). Randy:thumb

Thanks for the response. I have, and intend to carry, the Anonymous book, a cell phone, and a credit card. I can't, unfortunately, carry a manual, because the factory chooses not to print one.

Some time ago, a member posted a picture of his bike, apparently set up for an Iron Butt. An excellent looking bike - loaded down with functional gadgets, rather than unnecessary chrome, stuffed toys, and other useless junk. He was obviously not worried about breakdowns.

Thanks again.

How can you say Verizon is better than AT&T? Both carriers have their hot spots where may not have service... there is no perfect carrier! AT&T has worked where Verizon hasn't and Verizon has worked where AT&T hasn't.

I have a 2011, R1200RT. The company puts out a DVD, but not a hardcopy. Haynes has nothing on my model year. I've bitched to the company several times, but I'm sure it won't make any difference. (I may not be effective, but at least I can be a pain in the ass.)

I have a 2011, R1200RT. The company puts out a DVD, but not a hardcopy. Haynes has nothing on my model year. I've bitched to the company several times, but I'm sure it won't make any difference. (I may not be effective, but at least I can be a pain in the ass.)

Load the DVD onto a netbook and carry that around, if you feel you will need it.

I've got 70k on my R12ST without owning a manual, though I did beef up the tool kit a bit. Really, I expect the other tools you mentioned will get me through.

As Polarbear mentioned, UHaul can be your friend, and I've used them before a couple times.

A nicely maintained BMW will probably get you home from most rides but it's maybe a good idea to invest in the BMW Roadside Assistance program. It has an iPhone app, too.

What is the name of the iPhone App you have seen? A quick search in the App store was unsuccessful.

Back