• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Replacement Front Wheel - 2014 R1200RT

Replace that sucker, your life depends on it. /www.motorworks.co.uk they are half the price of US, and Super Fast shipping.

Yep. Always amazes me that I can buy from Germany or UK for around half of BMW North America. That includes shipping!

I just bought a low comfort seat for half the price that I could get it in the USA.

https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/spare-parts-smc1-catn-ol

It is a German site but will ask you if you want English.

EDIT: I dont have your part number but this site lists 896.00 for SKU 36-31-8-538-086

That pic brought up memories.

My 2010 FJR and I experienced this.

Not only the wheel, but new bearings, and new rotor screws, and of course new tire. It is not a cheap FUBAR but as said it happens.

This fell as I was approaching a corner and I could not steer away.

My insurance covered all but deductible. I installed it all my self as that is when I still spooned tires and used my Mark Parnes to balance.

fjr rim small.jpg

Yep. Always amazes me that I can buy from Germany or UK for around half of BMW North America. That includes shipping!

I just bought a low comfort seat for half the price that I could get it in the USA.

https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/spare-parts-smc1-catn-ol

It is a German site but will ask you if you want English.

EDIT: I dont have your part number but this site lists 896.00 for SKU 36-31-8-538-086

I remember the days when some US BMW dealers sold reasonably discounted parts. Since markup was ~50% they could discount 30-40% and make a profit. At some point that kind of discounting ended in the US but has continued in Europe. I've been buying parts from Schmiedmann for a while now and they usually sell for about ~40% off the US prices.

I remember the days when some US BMW dealers sold reasonably discounted parts. Since markup was ~50% they could discount 30-40% and make a profit. At some point that kind of discounting ended in the US but has continued in Europe. I've been buying parts from Schmiedmann for a while now and they usually sell for about ~40% off the US prices.

Yes I think they are Danish?

Does not matter they have good pricing.

I do not understand BMW NA and dealers.

They have priced their goods and services out of reach for a working man. And to add to that, they are holding owners hostage with no repair manual.

I love that site. You will wait in most instances for the part, but the price is worth the wait unless your broke down.

Actually, I was considering a new RT a while back but that went out the window when I learned BMW decided to discontinue the repair manual to individual owners.

Unfortunately, age has caught up some, and health issues won't like me working on my bikes to any real extent now.

However, having the manual available to even get a hint of what a problem that comes up may be - so I know what may be needed to get my bike right again - is an actual must have for me.

There is no chance I'll buy any new bike that I can't get a repair manual for.

Actually, I was considering a new RT a while back but that went out the window when I learned BMW decided to discontinue the repair manual to individual owners.

Unfortunately, age has caught up some, and health issues won't like me working on my bikes to any real extent now.

However, having the manual available to even get a hint of what a problem that comes up may be - so I know what may be needed to get my bike right again - is an actual must have for me.

There is no chance I'll buy any new bike that I can't get a repair manual for.

I agree.

There is information available for these new bikes. Just not OEM for MOST 1250's. Some got DVD's, so they can provide a DVD Key and demand whatever in the warranty period as they can prove proof of purchase with receipt and DVD key. And no, E-Bay's copy would not qualify. The warranty period is where you are a hostage. IF you do not have BMW specs for your bike, how can you keep it to honor BMW's warranty? I knew on the first mention on no DVD's that was a money grab. If your a high mile guy then it is not an issue you will out drive your 3 year warranty. Low mile guy your stuck for 3 years.

I am happy with my 17 GS1200. It has a DVD, a Haynes, and is well out of warranty.

I also am aging and physical issues make me slower but I still can pull a 12K with little fuss. I do not spoon tires any longer but I do take them off and carry them in. That may change in a few years.

I had a 2015 RT and loved it. I wanted a newer bike for the transmission upgrades, and what we know now maybe Stator upgrades. I then unexpectedly sat on a 17.5 GS Low and fell in love. My plan was to hold out for the 1250 RT:dunno

Oh well, they make truly great bikes, and as long as one does not need EVERY bell and whistle, the 1200's and below are great bikes and very well sorted out.

Yes I think they are Danish?

Does not matter they have good pricing.

I do not understand BMW NA and dealers.

They have priced their goods and services out of reach for a working man. And to add to that, they are holding owners hostage with no repair manual.

I love that site. You will wait in most instances for the part, but the price is worth the wait unless your broke down.

I just went to Schmiedmann's site. How do you get to their parts availability screen? They have a motorcycle pictured, but everything is coded as car models. Plus they say it is 2-3 weeks for delivery of MC parts, is that correct in your experience? Thanks.

Last edited:
I just went to Schmiedmann's site. How do you get to their parts availability screen? They have a motorcycle pictured, but everything is coded as car models. Plus they say it is 2-3 weeks for delivery of MC parts, is that correct in your experience? Thanks.
You scroll down all the cars list in the center top for Select Your Vehicle in the top center for motorcycle. Then you need to know your engine code. My 17.5 GS is a K50. A 1200 RT and 1250 RT is K51. You pick your model either 1200, 0r 1250 from the list. It is a BMW car and motorcycle parts house. I would say it will be 3 weeks to get any motorcycle part.

But you can order anything BMW Motorcycle from them including painted parts and such. As I said not the go to place for repair parts, but it is worth the 40% savings to wait. At least it is for me.

Hope it helps you get in.

EDIT: You can copy and paste your VIN into it.

Last edited:
Thanks Pete!

Crud, I see you already ordered one. I have one with a cosmetic bend in the rim that should be easily repaired. Tire never lost air but since I often travel FAR from home I decided to replace it. If your seller drops the ball reach out to me.

Pete

If there is an issue with my order I will definitely get back in touch with to see if it still available.

thanks!
Kevin

I don't believe they stock motorcycle parts so the lead times are quoted as the expected (non-express) delivery from BMW. I've usually seen 3-4 weeks from order to delivery (in the northeast US).

Here's a link to the parts listing Schmiedmann uses for the R1250RT: K52 Parts

I don't believe they stock motorcycle parts so the lead times are quoted as the expected (non-express) delivery from BMW. I've usually seen 3-4 weeks from order to delivery (in the northeast US).

Here's a link to the parts listing Schmiedmann uses for the R1250RT: K52 Parts

Not sure where you got that link but pretty cool. I prefer their page and order while there.

The best way on any site it to enter your VIN. It is not like Secret Squirrel Information. That makes sure you are into the correct build. On the main site when you put your VIN in you are taken to your Year and Date of Manufacture for your bike. Plus whats on it, the OA51, OA61 are options my bike has.

Like this: BMW K50 Motorcycle R 1200 GS 17 (0A51, 0A61) 2017/05

spare-parts-smc1-catn-ol

VIN is always the way to go as it gets you right to the correct build of your bike. If you have saved any Auto Scans from a GS-911 your VIN is stored on them. I would think Motoscan would also have that information. Otherwise you need to read it from the head stock I guess?

Great example of part of the difference in pricing. Drop-shippers (those that don’t actually stock a product but have access to the product) have a big advantage over a legitimate, stocking supplier.
This method of sales is not exclusive to motorcycle parts. New technology, with a dedicated server, lets anyone with internet able to operate this way.
OM

Back