• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Replacement Front Wheel - 2014 R1200RT

krus175

I hit a large rock on the way home the other day and rim is not only bent but also cracked. I have googled quite a bit and can find a couple of sites advertising new rims for $1000 and up. Does anyone have any suggestions for sourcing a good quality used replacement?

Thanks
Kevin
2014 R1200RT

Welcome to the Forum!

One of the places that is highly regarded in the "wheel world" is Woody's Wheel Works.- https://woodyswheelworks.com

At Woody's Wheel Works, we can repair your bent or broken motorcycle wheel at a fraction of the cost of a new replacement. Aluminum, magnesium or wire; our expert technicians will perfectly straighten and restore your wheel to factory specifications while checking radial/lateral run-out and balance to ensure that you enjoy a smooth ride down the road.

There are some places that specialize in parting out bikes, you can scroll through that section of the forum here- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?47142-Resources-and-Links

Good Luck.

Gary

I hit a large rock on the way home the other day and rim is not only bent but also cracked. I have googled quite a bit and can find a couple of sites advertising new rims for $1000 and up. Does anyone have any suggestions for sourcing a good quality used replacement?

Thanks
Kevin
2014 R1200RT

Welcome aboard

Insurance claim? I replaced the front on my 05RT years back and then used ones were non existent

Bob's Motorcycles (used parts)
Beemer Boneyard
Ad in the Marketplace
eBay??

Thank you Paul, I have been searching some of these already (more like haunting them every 30 minutes), that was a good tip about a marketplace ad, I placed one of those today.

Thanks,
Kevin

Welcome to the Forum!

One of the places that is highly regarded in the "wheel world" is Woody's Wheel Works.- https://woodyswheelworks.com

There are some places that specialize in parting out bikes, you can scroll through that section of the forum here- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?47142-Resources-and-Links

Good Luck.

Gary

Thank you Gary. Woody's has a nice feature where you can text them a picture of your wheel and they can give you an opinion. As I expected, once they saw my wheel they said it was not repairable. Thank you for the forum section with the links; I was able to submit a couple of inventory queries to a few of them.

Thanks again,
Kevin

used
Welcome aboard

Insurance claim? I replaced the front on my 05RT years back and then used ones were non existent

Thanks - yes used front wheels seem to be rare and hard to find. I will probably have to bite the bullet and get a new one. This will take the cost into the territory where it will be worth dealing with insurance I am thinking. That was an expensive commute home.

Thanks,
Kevin

used

Thanks - yes used front wheels seem to be rare and hard to find. I will probably have to bite the bullet and get a new one. This will take the cost into the territory where it will be worth dealing with insurance I am thinking. That was an expensive commute home.

Thanks,
Kevin

That’s what I had to do when I priced one, had to say the rock hit me not me hitting a rock! I luckily had a trailer and someone to come get me as it was instant flat

Welcome to the Forum!

VERY highly regarded. When I lived in Colorado Springs, I bought a Honda CB750/4. Traveled back and forth between C.S. & Denver and carried a passenger back and forth with me. Ate back tires like they were candy. Went to Woody's Wheel Works in Denver and had them lace a car tire on the back. Never bought another rear tire for that bike.

I can't imagine how another bike shop could do better than Woody's.

honda.jpg

If you are anywhere close to Las Vegas / Henderson, NV you might want to look up this place: https://www.shineshoplasvegas.com/wheel-repair.

A few years back I ran over a rock slide in Death Valley and bent both front and back alloy wheels on my '07 GT. After a 250 mile flat bed tow to Las Vegas, and finding the local BMW dealer was absolutely useless, we spent an entire day looking for local places that repair wheels. These guys fixed both wheels for an unbelievably fair price in under an hour - including touchup paint on the wheels. I was able to get home and ride the bike for several years thereafter with no problems at all. Maybe worth a call.

I think bent is one thing while bent and cracked is something else. Even bent is sometimes beyond fixing and a cracked cast wheel is not something I would put back on my bike no matter who said they could fix it.

I did note that Woody's said his was beyond repair. (See post #7)

Last edited:
A bunch of rocks once ran out in front of my 2014 RT and my dealer was able to have it repaired by some place in California. I put another 40K miles on it.

12038467_10156110172590014_4875290069489075454_n.jpg

Thanks to all who replied!

This was my first time ever posting to the MOA forum, and I want to thank everyone who replied with helpful advice and information for my issue. Woody's got right back to me within an hour to tell me my rim was junk at this point (bent AND cracked). A local rim repair place told me the same thing. I knew it in my heart, but, hey you have to ask. I had already been looking for used options at the usual places (and some new to me places suggested here) but wasn't having much luck. Plenty of rear wheels, but as someone noted the front wheel would be the first thing to go in a crash I suppose. So then I decided to buy new. Called a few places; my local dealer (Garcia Moto in Raleigh NC) quoted me $1578. Other options online were in the $1400 range.

I saw an add on beemerparts.com for $999. I called and spoke with them, and Simeon, the person I spoke to there seemed quite knowledgeable and helpful. I placed order through the website, and he texted me back to let me know that he got the order and that the price had actually gone up from BMW, but that he would honor the price shown on the site. Today the listing is at $1299, so I got a good deal. While I have never done business with them before, so far so good, but I guess I will know for sure once it arrives. I will update this post then to let people know of my experience overall with them. He also mentioned he is an Ilium dealer and could offer discounted pricing if anyone is interested in that.

The reason I am looking? Well I was commuting home (to Wake Forest NC), 8 miles from home, crossing over Falls Lake for those familiar with the area. I was in a line of traffic, doing 55+, and the car in front of me straddled a big rock in the road, squared off size of a loaf of bread maybe, probably supposed to be part of a wall or something. Was I following too close, was I distracted by the lake view a bit, was I being a little too relaxed now that I was on the 'easy' part of my commute? All of those? Yes probably, and this was an expensive lesson for me to make sure to remember to keep my head in the game. At the end of the day, I kept the bike upright, made it to the side of the road OK, with no injury, so I will take that as win at least.

And lastly, here is the rim itself - I don't know, maybe some JB Weld and a hammer? ;)
Thanks to all again, Kevin
Wheel .jpg

Many of us have been there, don’t beat yourself up… or, that new rim! Good news was you can tell us about it.

Mine looked similar with a serious crack all the way through rim. I watched the rock bounce like a football across three lanes as I slowed but zigged when the zag was the correct swerve. :banghead

Replace that sucker, your life depends on it. /www.motorworks.co.uk they are half the price of US, and Super Fast shipping.

Crud, I see you already ordered one. I have one with a cosmetic bend in the rim that should be easily repaired. Tire never lost air but since I often travel FAR from home I decided to replace it. If your seller drops the ball reach out to me.

Pete

Back