• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Removing carbon from pistons and heads

mwctexas

I've got my R90/6 top end off, pistons are off and going to replace the rings. Right now, I've soaked the pistons and along with scotch bright,WD-40, serious elbow grease I'll eventually get the tops of the pistons clean, down to shiny metal. The heads are a different situation...It's going to be a bear to clean them. Couple questions, please.
1. Does all the carbon need to be removed from the heads or just the potential hot spots?
2. Is it possible to use walnut shells or a similar media to blast? Is a drill wire brush attachment too severe?
3. Do you know of a way that will work, I can do?..
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated....thank you..Mike

I'm not sure of the benefit of getting things squeaky clean...it's just going to get dirty again and pretty quickly. That said, Oak's recommendation is a product by Gunk called Hydro Seal II. I used it on my top end a number of years ago. It takes time to work, but is not harmful to the metal and eventually will mostly scrape off with a piece of sharp wood.

Bead blast the top crown of the piston, then put it in a pot and boil it till all the media is boiled out. Take it out and air blow it dry. This lets you make sure the crown has the proper shape with no damage. Small pieces of broken rings and even the valve can damage the top of the piston.

If you have time....soak them in straight pine-sol. Might take several days. Hit em with a brush every so often. Softens the deposits and won't discolor them.

I boil my pistons in Spic-n-Span and don't worry about the crown but make sure the ring lands are absolutely clean. Don't bead blast anything except for the skirts.

Back