• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Registering with BMW as the New Owner of a Bike - How do you do it?

triplethreat719

Having recently purchased a 2004 R1150RT, I would like to register with BMW as the new owner by providing the VIN and my Address so that I would be informed of any recalls or receive any other communication from BMW.

Is there an easy online way to do this?

Jeff

If your motorcycle is ten years old, or older, the manufacturer is not liable for paying for any recall work. If you made any repairs or upgrades at your own expense, they may elect to reimburse you.

As far as recalls are concerned this page might help you.

See> This page in particular relates to your motorcycle. Be sure to click on the "Associate Documents" link at the upper right.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info...

That 10 year rule must be why the 2004 R1150RT is not covered in that wheel flange recall... Seemed weird to me that the bike that they discovered the problem on was a 2004, but that the recall didn't reach back to the 2004 model year. It makes sense now, but that doesn't make me feel good about government regulations regarding these kinds of safety issues with defective and dangerous parts.

I've sent an email to BMW Customer Service as well to see what their response is... Regarding registering as the owner, not the wheel flange recall... That may come later, especially if I discover cracks in my wheel flange.

Last edited:
If your motorcycle is ten years old, or older, the manufacturer is not liable for paying for any recall work. If you made any repairs or upgrades at your own expense, they may elect to reimburse you.

Not sure where this info comes from as there are numerous current Recalls for bikes over 10 years old. Here's just one example:

http://motorcycleviews.com/recalls/rec14v472000.htm

Are you saying manufactures will do a recall for known defective workmanship and/or part, but won't pay for it...so as to just be notifying owners of a problem? They'll pay if less than 10 years old, but nothing if defect when in older MY?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info...

That 10 year rule must be why the 2004 R1150RT is not covered in that wheel flange recall... Seemed weird to me that the bike that they discovered the problem on was a 2004, but that the recall didn't reach back to the 2004 model year. It makes sense now, but that doesn't make me feel good about government regulations regarding these kinds of safety issues with defective and dangerous parts.

I've sent an email to BMW Customer Service as well to see what their response is... Regrading registering as the owner, not the wheel flange recall... That may come later, especially if I discover cracks in my wheel flange.

The EVO drives with the big hole is what is being addressed. BMW may have released those as a late 2004...in the US, the 05 R1200 and K1200 Wedges were the first models to use this style. Perhaps it was introduced as a 2004 in other markets?

The previous drives have a metal "wheel flange" integral to the FD , the EVO's had an aluminum spider until the change in parts. Your 2004 1150 RT isn't part of this.

Seemed weird to me that the bike that they discovered the problem on was a 2004, but that the recall didn't reach back to the 2004 model year.
There are no MY 2004 bikes on the flange recall list. Some of the MY 2005 bikes may have been built in 2004, but they're 2005 bikes. The affected 2005 bikes include K 1200 S and R 1200 GS/RT/ST.

I registered myself as the new owner of both my BMWs by calling Customer Service, the number is 800.525.7417.

I was able to register with a simple email to Customer Service with my name, address and VIN. Got a nice welcoming email back from them.

If you read the supporting documents on the recall site, it describes the defect being initially discovered on a 2004 model year bike, hence the confusion.

No worries at this point. I'm registered with BMW and it appears as though my bike is not impacted with this recall.

As we all know, the GS is the first bike out of the boxers, followed most likely the next year by the RT and then the R, etc.

The first 1200s were 2004 R1200GS.

The 2004 R1150RT is not covered as it's a completely different design and there is no problem.

I was supplied a card with new bike package which is to be presented to subsequent owners for recalls, etc. I did save it and everything else and put it in a file along with all maintenance records. We do the same for our cars. Thank goodness I married a SCIENCE professional!

Other than how sad it is that some feel it necessary to immediately discuss recalls, the real sadness is the implication in the original poster's question that he has no intention of visiting a BMW dealer.

It's really the place to ask the question and it's for sure the place you should first go when you first own a BMW.

Other than how sad it is that some feel it necessary to immediately discuss recalls, the real sadness is the implication in the original poster's question that he has no intention of visiting a BMW dealer.

It's really the place to ask the question and it's for sure the place you should first go when you first own a BMW.

You make a lot of assumptions about someone you do not know...But in this case, it only makes an ass out of you...

Not that I give a rats rear end what you think, but just for anyone else who reads this thread's information, I visited my local BMW dealer and asked them to help me register as the new owner. They said they didn't do that and couldn't help me. Only gave me the 1-800 customer service number. They weren't very interested in spending any time talking to me in the service department.

It's a Triumph, Indian, Victory and BMW dealer who also deals in Polaris ATVs. I have a great relationship with the sales manager, as I ran the Rider's Association of Triumph (RAT Pack) out of the dealership, with my brother, for 5 years and grew it from 5 active members to over 100. I've spent countless hours there.

As a former shop teacher, I do all my own service myself. I enjoy it, and quite frankly, I don't trust anyone else to do the work. As a former race bike rider, who did all of his own wrenching, I'm not inclined to trust anyone else with my life. Particularly after I've seen the quality of the work that comes out of most dealerships. No one will be as meticulous with my bike as I will...

I do try to support the local dealership by purchasing parts and accessories from them, as long as they are competitive with prices, but I'm certainly not letting them work on my bike, unless it's required for a recall...

BMW corporate customer service was far more accommodating than my local dealership.

BMW corporate customer service was far more accommodating than my local dealership.

So did you reach BMW customer service at the dealer-provided telephone number or by some other method?

I should verify that BMW has my address. As the third owner of my RT, I have received notification about the fuel strip warranty extension, but no info on the fuel pump flange cracks or the rear wheel flange recall.

So did you reach BMW customer service at the dealer-provided telephone number or by some other method?

No, as stated earlier in the thread, I contacted them via email, which I found online, with all pertinent details and received a very nice reply.

I'm certain that the local dealer has the capability to assist in registering a new owner of a bike through their service department. The guys in service just didn't want to be bothered by it. Not a big deal, I wasn't a paying customer that day. I just found a way to take care of it myself.

However, I resent the fact that someone calls me out for having the audacity to ask a simple question on a BMW forum intended to help BMW owners rather than go to the almighty dealer to get help... which I tried, but resulted in nothing more than a phone number from the service manager... I might add that the sales manager said... "Go see the service manager, he can take care of that easily for you." The same dealership had done that for me in the past with several Triumph motorcycles, and yes I have purchased a new bike from them in the past as well, as well as several used bikes from private individuals.

I'm not upset with the dealership at all, I wasn't there opening my wallet for them that day, I simply stopped by after having breakfast with the local BMW club to say hello to the sales manager. I do have to point out that the idea that the very first place a BMW owner should go is the dealership to get all questions answered is ridiculous...

Back