• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Kymco absorbs BMW motorcycle division

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
Kymco,- The Globally Recognized KYMCO brand of high-quality scooters, motorcycles, ATV’s, and Side by Sides, are exclusively distributed in the United States by KYMCO USA INC.
Founded in 1963, KYMCO-manufactured products are respected worldwide for their dependable quality, exceptional value, and impeccable durability. KYMCO USA has its sales, marketing, and distribution center in Spartanburg, South Carolina. KYMCO USA serves over 500 dealers nationwide, building KYMCO’s reputation and market share through superior value, new products, excellent dealer support, enthusiast events, racing support, and strategic industry partnerships with other quality brands.

Has absorbed the motorcycle manufacturing including the R&D division of BMW.
This move is expected to provide BMW branded motorcycles to BMW riders with more affordable, less complicated motorcycles. While this is expected to diminish the "legacy branding" that BMW owners have grown to cherish, it is expected to provide some benefits to the purchasers of BMW branded motorcycles.
Including- Cheaper (almost free by comparison) parts, a full line of matching riding gear and completely eliminate tube-type tires.
Additionally, Manuals will be available for all models through a registered owners TicTok portal. Once downloaded, these manuals will be able to be translated to the users language of choice and printed as necessary.
This new deal will also exponentially expand service availability somewhere in the expected 7 years or so it will take to train current KYMCO dealers on the intricacies of BMW service such as the "white" o-ring and substitute battery replacement.
It's a new day for BMW enthuesiats!
om

They will also retrofit the TFT displays with Garmin software, allowing them to function as standalone GPS units, updated electronics to allow you greater control of what to display, including CarPlay and Android Auto, add the lowering system of the H-D Pan Am, free maintenance like the cars and Tesla-like price cuts! They have promised me to bring of offering an updated version of the R1200C, the only bike I regret selling. Sign me up.

Those of us who have actually owned, ridden, and maintained both BMW and Kymco products would likely see this as good news.

Edit: This was of course an April Fools post but Kymco has supplied engines and drivelines to both Honda and BMW in the past. They know how to build a quality product and are a major manufacturer, building over 500,000 units a year. Parts costs are very reasonable too but it sometimes takes a while to get them.

Last edited:
Agree 100%

Those of us who have actually owned, ridden, and maintained both BMW and Kymco products would likely see this as good news.

Edit: This was of course an April Fools post but Kymco has supplied engines and drivelines to both Honda and BMW in the past. They know how to build a quality product and are a major manufacturer, building over 500,000 units a year. Parts costs are very reasonable too but it sometimes takes a while to get them.

I've been riding BMW's for over 50 years and Kymco's for over 20 years. In my opinion Kymco continues to
turn out better bikes each year; I can't say the same for BMW. I'm old and partial to the old bikes but have owned a 2006 1250rs which was a good one. Shop maintenance on the new BMW's is just too expensive.

I've been riding a 180cc Kymco Racing King since new in 2016 with zero problems and I ride everyday. I get the motor and gear oil changed here in Taiwan every 1000 miles, $500.NTD about $15.00USD. I've ridden the
Kymco AK550 which is a wonderful bike but overkill for what I need here.

If BMW let Kymco build their bikes and handle maintenance, it would be great! IN my opinion, which mean nothing.

I had a great time for the 3 months I was in Taipei but I was only riding bicycles which was the funnest way to get around.

I had a great time for the 3 months I was in Taipei but I was only riding bicycles which was the funnest way to get around.

I have traveled overseas quite a bit being the dependent brat of a 30 year army man. Later on in life I spent a few weeks in Taipei for business. It still ranks as the place with the most two wheel traffic I have experienced.

I haven't been to India or China yet however.

Back