• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cardan to be checked and vent valve retrofitted on a total of 440,000 motorcycles

O M,

I completely agree with rubber conditioners. I soaked the boot in Aerospace 303 after I took it off. Have used it for years. I think they advertise it as "sunscreen for your stuff"

Thanks for the link.

The 303 is great stuff. I believe it makes a difference. :thumb
OM

So, if you really trust your shop this service update isn't going to hurt and it should help alleviate premature corrosion.
But if you don't trust your shop, they could send metal particles into the system and they could also completely ignore actual problems that might be happening...

Looks like I need to pull everything apart, inspect and lube... And if I'm ever near a Motorrad shop I trust on one of my adventures, hopefully I can plan ahead and have them do the work... But my nearest shop is not one I trust...

So, if you really trust your shop this service update isn't going to hurt and it should help alleviate premature corrosion.
But if you don't trust your shop, they could send metal particles into the system and they could also completely ignore actual problems that might be happening..

My thought is to have it done when I bring the bike in for next service and to also have them lube and check the splines. That way they can drill the hole with things apart and they should be able to clean out any debris from the drilling. In the end, I'll get the peace of mind that the drain is installed, any possible shavings from the drilling removed, the driveshaft and splines checked and lubed.

My thought is to have it done when I bring the bike in for next service and to also have them lube and check the splines. That way they can drill the hole with things apart and they should be able to clean out any debris from the drilling. In the end, I'll get the peace of mind that the drain is installed, any possible shavings from the drilling removed, the driveshaft and splines checked and lubed.

Good plan, and the way it really should be done on all bikes.
I think I'll tackle the job myself as I don't trust any shops within a couple hours.

I found ADVPulse's article about this to be the most well written and thorough investigation - https://www.advpulse.com/adv-news/bmw-issues-service-action-on-440000-bikes-including-r1200-1250gs/

Does anyone attribute the presence of water in the swing arm to be due to condensation as the artical suggests? I had the impression that is was ingress rather than condensation.

I don’t specifically. I have direct-drive PTO’s (power take-offs) that is basically the same deal and they will suffer from condensation rust-cycles.
Every time there is a wetting and drying, it’s a rust cycle. It is why trucks plowing snow have so much rust in the (hot) engine areas.
OM

color me skeptical

We've been through this rusty driveshaft splines issue in the past. The most likely cause of the rust was from inadequate lubrication which caused fretting, and not from moisture. I had this on my K75 a long time ago. I switched to Valvoline SynPower full-synthetic grease with moly and I saw no more rusty splines after that.

Come on, BMW!

Harry

I saw a post elsewhere that suggested that lubricating the splines front and rear is now part of the BMW recommended regular service. Does anyone know what the recommended time/distance service interval is? I have seen JVB's recommendation but am curious about what BMW says.

I saw a post elsewhere that suggested that lubricating the splines front and rear is now part of the BMW recommended regular service. Does anyone know what the recommended time/distance service interval is? I have seen JVB's recommendation but am curious about what BMW says.

I have never seen it called out since owning my first BMW a 07 LT.

Early air heads had it called out once a year.

Since there is no DVD who knows what BMW is calling out. Well there are DVD's but I have a OEM for my 17.5 GS. It is the 1250 where owners took a beating. That said plenty of 1250 DVD's on Flea Bay.

I have been lubing splines since my 2015 RT. Both dry and rusted from new.

It really is a simple procedure and if your doing rear brake pads or a tire change you got a lot of the work done to make it even easier. At most a hour job with cleaning everything and a good lube and sealing the boot and back together. It really is so simple even a Cave Man Can Do It.

Save a lot of anxiety and just do the service yourself, clean it well and lube the snot out of it.

If something is bathed in Moly Paste it can not rust and water will not stay on it it will fling off.

It really is that simple. Could be more simple if BMW would do it on the line as it is supposed to.

Driveshaft spline lubrication has been a required assembly step since at least 2005. It has never been a specific item in the maintenance schedule. The only mention in the maintenance instructions has been when draining older final drives which had no drain plug - but that is really re-assembly.

IMO, the whole service campaign is being caused by the decision to NOT lube the splines at the factory. The splines are not wearing from friction, because the Paralever design prevents nearly all movement. If the splines actually had to slide, normal riding would break them free of the corrosion before it got so bad the final drive could not be dropped or the shaft pulled free from the transmission. The pictures I've seen after stuck splines have been separated show rust, not wear. The lube prevents the corrosion.

The Paralever design on the affected bikes is simply a mirror image of Hex/Camheads, which have not had this type of rust trouble but were built at a time when the factory was still following BMW's own assembly instructions.

I have to drop my FD to drain the oil every 2 years/40,000 km (24000 mi), and I have always found the splines to still be well lubricated. I do freshen the lube at re-assembly, but I think the interval could easily be doubled.

The drain vents may have some value if you are submerging the swing arm in water, but I think well-sealed boots and lubed splines will keep the splines of a street bike rust free.

The Paralever design on the affected bikes is simply a mirror image of Hex/Camheads, which have not had this type of rust trouble but were built at a time when the factory was still following BMW's own assembly instructions.

The drain vents may have some value if you are submerging the swing arm in water, but I think well-sealed boots and lubed splines will keep the splines of a street bike rust free.

Don’t disagree on the initial assembly lacking lube more than in the past.

I still believe some of this is owner caused with using pressure washers. Spraying high velocity water where design no doubt only has natural water exposure accounted for. Personal experience on several folks bikes when finding water when dropping FD, including a low(10K) mileage GSA I picked up that already had a torn front boot and a pressure washer sitting next to bike when I picked it up spotless. Got home, dropped FD for a service and replacement of the front boot and over a quart of rusty water came flowing out! :banghead

I ask the owners if they use the car wash and how closely they place spray wand…. Most admit often and super close!

Driveshaft spline lubrication has been a required assembly step since at least 2005. It has never been a specific item in the maintenance schedule. The only mention in the maintenance instructions has been when draining older final drives which had no drain plug - but that is really re-assembly.

IMO, the whole service campaign is being caused by the decision to NOT lube the splines at the factory. The splines are not wearing from friction, because the Paralever design prevents nearly all movement. If the splines actually had to slide, normal riding would break them free of the corrosion before it got so bad the final drive could not be dropped or the shaft pulled free from the transmission. The pictures I've seen after stuck splines have been separated show rust, not wear. The lube prevents the corrosion.

I have to drop my FD to drain the oil every 2 years/40,000 km (24000 mi), and I have always found the splines to still be well lubricated. I do freshen the lube at re-assembly, but I think the interval could easily be doubled.

It really is this simple!

Why did 85% of the cam checks I did need set?

Why was my 15 RT and 17.5 GS bone dry with no lube new?

Why were brake calipers that leaked put into production?

Why did bad shocks start a No Sale on LC bikes?

Why are cams disintegrating with the owner paying crazy sums for new cams and followers?

All the same reason, BMW has poor QC.

This particular issue is solved with our own time in dropping, cleaning, and then lubing the splines that BMW SHOULD have done on the line.

Why are cams disintegrating with the owner paying crazy sums for new cams and followers?

This particular issue is solved with our own time in dropping, cleaning, and then lubing the splines that BMW SHOULD have done on the line.

Agree! Question is, why do we keep buying them?

I disagree with some of the above statements. BMW doesn't make everything that goes on their vehicles. In many cases, it's the suppliers QC that's to blame not the manufacturers. It wasn't any of the car manufacturers' fault or lack of QC regarding all the Takata airbags that needed (and still need to be) replaced in cars. But, that didn't relieve the manufacturers from responsibility. I don't think it's BMW's lack of QC regarding the Hayes brake calipers, bad shocks, or cam and followers having excessive wear. That's on the suppliers, but that doesn't relieve BMW from responsibility.

With regards to the lack of lube on the driveshaft splines, that's 100% on BMW. Someone somewhere must have presented a cost benefit of lubing those splines and decided it wasn't necessary. I'm sure it seemed reasonable to them at the time, but in hindsight, not so much. BMW isn't the first, nor will it be the last, company to make a decision that proves to be a poor one for reliability. These things don't bother me too much, since no one's perfect. It's just a part of owning complex vehicles. There are plenty of similar examples from all makes. (FYI, I don't know enough about the CAM checks to make a comment on that one)

I disagree with some of the above statements. BMW doesn't make everything that goes on their vehicles. In many cases, it's the suppliers QC that's to blame not the manufacturers. It wasn't any of the car manufacturers' fault or lack of QC regarding all the Takata airbags that needed (and still need to be) replaced in cars. But, that didn't relieve the manufacturers from responsibility. I don't think it's BMW's lack of QC regarding the Hayes brake calipers, bad shocks, or cam and followers having excessive wear. That's on the suppliers, but that doesn't relieve BMW from responsibility.

With regards to the lack of lube on the driveshaft splines, that's 100% on BMW. Someone somewhere must have presented a cost benefit of lubing those splines and decided it wasn't necessary. I'm sure it seemed reasonable to them at the time, but in hindsight, not so much. BMW isn't the first, nor will it be the last, company to make a decision that proves to be a poor one for reliability. These things don't bother me too much, since no one's perfect. It's just a part of owning complex vehicles. There are plenty of similar examples from all makes. (FYI, I don't know enough about the CAM checks to make a comment on that one)

Well IMHO I am not buying components of a motorcycle I am buying a motorcycle.

QC and BMW need to get it together.

I cant complain to the company who made bad cams so who is there to complain too?

Same with all the other flubs. I bought a motorcycle from BMW not BMW and Component Manufacturers.

I see this as a non issue as I have seen and knew about it and did the service. My splines are clean and swimming in Molly.

It is the guys who do not frequent Forums or know nothing about turning a wrench that I feel bad for.

This is something EVERY BMW owner with a shaft drive should perform.

The fix BMW has started is a placebo and will do nothing to control rust and fretting. It needs lubed!

Last edited:
Agree! Question is, why do we keep buying them?

Well because I love BMW motorcycles warts and all. I also love spinning a wrench so when I read of a service or find something that may preserve my motorcycle I do it.

My 07 LT was great. My 15 RT was also great. I fell in love with my 17.5 low GS when with a guy who was bike shopping, I was not. I sat on it and told them to write the deal. I never have looked back. I love my GS.

My problem is BMW NEVER owns up to anything and puts a lot of financial responsibility onto the customer. I mean if only one set of cams went bad that is one thing, but they are into a very high failure rate and have read of 1250's going too. And guess who pays for the cams and followers. And they are 1400 a set with 4 sets to work with over the Exhaust and Intake. While I have not seen 4 sets worn off I've seen 2 sets. That is 2800 bucks without labor and material I would think once something happens 10 times, or 20 times, you would know there is a problem?

Again I loved all my BMW's and never had a major failure on any of them. But if I do suffer a Stator failure or a Cam failure I may not be able to afford to fix the bike! That is my fear as my GS is my "die with bike". Retired, fixed income, it may be hard to come up with the money at any given time to free up for a hobby.

There is no peace of mind for bad parts as BMW does not acknowledge bad or inferior parts. Yet BMW will pay the dealer labor to replace these bad parts but the customer foots the bill for parts.

BMW does not make all the parts, but they choose to put them on their products. To me, that is BMW saying "This component meets BMW standards." When the part subsequently proves faulty, it means that BMW's standards are lacking. It is not enough for the component manufacturer's QC to say these are good enough. It's up to BMW to test the components and verify that BMW's standards are being met before the parts get to the customer and it is BMW that is responsible to the purchaser of their vehicle when those components do not measure up.

BMW does not make all the parts, but they choose to put them on their products. To me, that is BMW saying "This component meets BMW standards." When the part subsequently proves faulty, it means that BMW's standards are lacking. It is not enough for the component manufacturer's QC to say these are good enough. It's up to BMW to test the components and verify that BMW's standards are being met before the parts get to the customer and it is BMW that is responsible to the purchaser of their vehicle when those components do not measure up.

+1

Back