• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Recommendations for Indoor Cover?

L

Ludell

I live in a dusty area and would like to cover the R12R when not riding for a few days even though it is garaged. The bike has a low windshield and top case but there are so many cover choices I'm not sure which size or brand to order. Any recommendations would be appreciated - thanks.

Engine Guards

I was looking for the same thing for my 2008 R1200R, and am pretty well settled on the Hepco Becker at this point. This is because I have seen them and they are unobtrusive, and they seem to work. I friend of mine dropped her R1200R at a gas station after a long day, and neither the head or the guard showed a scratch.

These run about $225. http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=47656

Greg

Garage Cover

While I have a real cover for when the bike is outside at work, I just use a large, old, bed sheet with a few clothes pins in the garage. Seems to keep the sawdust and debris off, and allows good breathing to avoid moisture build up.

Scott

Go here;

We bought a real nice one at Super WalMart for 19$:). I could not believe the price, so I snatched one up. Had it about a year+ now, with no issues. Good quality. The one I got at this price would fit a Gold Wing, its huge:). It was the last one on the shelf too! Another source for cheap is HFTools, once in a while has m/c covers. :thumb

I got a BMW logo'd one for Christmas, very nice, though it does not fit all the way down with my top case. Need to talk to the dealer about it...

I just use a large, old, bed sheet with a few clothes pins in the garage.
Scott, exactly what I'm doing right now but I do want to pick up a real cover, preferably cloth. I thought I would be able to re-use the one from my Harley but I made the mistake of washing it and it ended up fitting a moped. :cry

Ludell

I have one from road gear, made of flannel and provides good dust protection. The only caution is, that at Spring-time, the air becomes more humid and the flannel retains the moisture. You can't wring water out of the cover, but it feels heavier so I know it is damp. That is the signal of the start of the riding season!
Depends on your AO, tho.
Rubber down!
Rich

If it doesn't need to be waterproof, a simple king size bed sheet works great. If you want it to look pretty, the nice red flannel indoor bike covers offered by Roadgear are beautiful.

http://www.whitehorsegear.com/roadgear-hibernator-indoor-motorcycle-covers

hib_3.jpg

If RoadGear uses a numerical sizing system, it is a size 3. I have both side cases, Givi 52L on and the wind screen in the lowest position. Complete coverage, good coverage. Very similar to the one posted by RoyB.

Rubber down

This is the one I bought after hunting like you have. Works great! my R1200RT is also stored inside in the garage. I bought the large. Fits easily with the large topcase, stock windshield and the bags on!

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/motorcycles-dust-cover-p-839.html

At $55 it is hard to beat, particularly since it says BMW. Hard to put a price on seeing folks who come into my garage drool when they see the LOGO!:rofl

Last edited:
I got the BMW dust cover for Christmas for my RT this year. I think it's a large. It fits all the way down even with the bags and top case on which is nice. Its big though and is not good for travel. I need to get an EZ touring cover for travel.

If RoadGear uses a numerical sizing system, it is a size 3.
After comparing dimensions between the RT and R, I took a chance on the middle size and it fits the R beautifully. A very nice indoor cover, and the bright red spiffs up the garage - thanks!

Bought one of these in the fall for my '08 K12GT:

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm...roduct_Code=1088020&Category_Code=R1200GS08-P

Beautiful cover, very soft and folds up nicely in it's special carry bag. This is an INDOOR cover only! I keep my bike in a garage (somewhat heated/attached to the main house) so the temps never go below 40 degrees or so unless some knucklehead leaves a bay door open or something! :banghead

I also have a BMW OUTDOOR cover for traveling, but the thing is pretty big and fairly heavy so I'm not so sure about that one. Very well constructed however keeping with BMW's quality.

Good luck and stay clean!

Please ride safely.

Peter

Back