• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R18B owners feedback

I love my R18 B.

Excellent Suspension
Comfortable
Powerful
Sounds good
Handles great
Active Cruise control
Great Stereo
Reverse gear (wish my FJR had that)
Low seat height
Strong brakes
Easy to maintain yourself (even without access to the manual) with screw type valve adjustments.

Dislikes:
Wind protection (I ended up getting a 7Jurock 20' wind screen, which is better for winter)
Storage (I'm a guy that would love a trailer)
People assume I spent $50K on the thing, "Nice Bike!", which gets awkward

The reviews have been mixed, but I think over time this will be a classic. It's such a good looking bike, the quality is there, and I have reason to believe that it's going to last a long, long time. IMHO, it's the classiest bike made by anyone right now. Looks like a modern R5.

I think what was meant with the mention of the 1200CLC is the question “is the R18 destined to become a similar failure?” And not “is it similarly powered?.”
After all, they’ve been heavily discounted since just about the rollout. It’s a fair question.

Here’s one that the dealer REALLY wants to get rid of… a Demo, 210 miles. O% financing. BMW makes your first 4 payments. Full 36 mo. Warranty. No freight or setup fees. $13,995.
B4568E5B-CE1C-4A2D-97E3-A3FD5D935621.jpeg

I think what was meant with the mention of the 1200CLC is the question “is the R18 destined to become a similar failure?” And not “is it similarly powered?.”
After all, they’ve been heavily discounted since just about the rollout. It’s a fair question.

Here’s one that the dealer REALLY wants to get rid of… a Demo, 210 miles. O% financing. BMW makes your first 4 payments. Full 36 mo. Warranty. No freight or setup fees. $13,995.
View attachment 89902

If that 13995 is a premium bike, that’s a good deal. If it’s not, you can get one for $11-12K. You can go on CycleTrader, do R18, ‘new’ and sort by lowest price. Deals are out there.

I stand corrected, there are only two $12K R18s left on CycleTrader and they are not red. Prices increased slightly since last time I checked.

I love my R18 B.

I recently sold my 2008 R1200 GS Adventure with 96k+ miles, in order to get into either a HD Street Glide or Road Glide; all my buddies went out and bought new HD bikes with sound systems, navigation, wind protection and overall comfort - I immediately gravitated towards the R 18 B.

Looks like a Street Glide - offers similar wind protection by comparison.. TC offers the best wind protection
Excellent Suspension +4" of travel
Comfortable - Riding Position is somewhat similar to my GS Adventure, except lower to the ground.
Powerful
Sound - Jekill & Hyde Exhaust
Handles Great
Active Cruise Control
Great Stereo - Marshall Sound system, with a hint of Alpine in it (Radio Receiver/Control Head is made by ALPINE)
Reverse Gear - Use it after every ride..
Low Seat Height & Heated
Strong brakes - ABS

Dislikes:
Wind Protection - I've slowly added the Transcontinental Wind Protection assets to my Bagger.. (Fairing Winglets, Auxiliary Lights and Lower Leg Wind Protection)

Attachments

• IMG_20221107_102957542_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221107_102957542_HDR.jpg
    520.7 KB · Views: 169
BMW has some incredible incentives on these, including 0% financing, $3000 off and they will make the first four payments up to $333 each.

BMW has some incredible incentives on these, including 0% financing, $3000 off and they will make the first four payments up to $333 each.

there are some good deals on low mileage used ones too. Enough to make me think about it.

Come on man, its not very likely that they would do all 3 of those incentives at those amounts just for that reason.

Just trying to present another possibility to counter something stated as “Fact”.

It wouldn’t surprise me that making it easier for future customers to have a look at a new machine with more of them out on the road……especially when the limited dealerships compared with other brands.

Whatever the reason, looks like a good time to buy an R18 if one was thinking about a purchase.

OM

Just trying to present another possibility to counter something stated as “Fact”.

It wouldn’t surprise me that making it easier for future customers to have a look at a new machine with more of them out on the road……especially when the limited dealerships compared with other brands.

Whatever the reason, looks like a good time to buy an R18 if one was thinking about a purchase.

OM

Agreed. I am converting SO many Harley riders to the R18's. If you do BMW Easyride financing, some states are offering up to $6800 in easyride credit. It has never been a better time to buy an R18!

IMG_5476.jpg

Just got my R18B last Friday. Rode it home Friday night and rode it to and from work (55+ miles each way) on Monday (been too cold and wet for me since then).

Heated seats and grips
Different ride modes

Dislikes:

None really just yet.

Am getting used to NOT stretching my legs out but that's not terrible and my lower back really enjoys the posture change (that is significant in itself).

I DO wish the windshield was a little higher to keep the wind off a bit more, but feel that's just me.

View attachment 91769

Just got my R18B last Friday. Rode it home Friday night and rode it to and from work (55+ miles each way) on Monday (been too cold and wet for me since then).

Heated seats and grips
Different ride modes

Dislikes:

None really just yet.

Am getting used to NOT stretching my legs out but that's not terrible and my lower back really enjoys the posture change (that is significant in itself).

I DO wish the windshield was a little higher to keep the wind off a bit more, but feel that's just me.

I suppose you could put the R18TC windscreen on or maybe there are options now.

Where'd you get those highway bars? Been looking for a set for mine. Did you have to move the horn to another location? On mine, the horn is on the left hand side, right where the horn should be.

I love my R18 B.

I recently sold my 2008 R1200 GS Adventure with 96k+ miles, in order to get into either a HD Street Glide or Road Glide; all my buddies went out and bought new HD bikes with sound systems, navigation, wind protection and overall comfort - I immediately gravitated towards the R 18 B.

Looks like a Street Glide - offers similar wind protection by comparison.. TC offers the best wind protection
Excellent Suspension +4" of travel
Comfortable - Riding Position is somewhat similar to my GS Adventure, except lower to the ground.
Powerful
Sound - Jekill & Hyde Exhaust
Handles Great
Active Cruise Control
Great Stereo - Marshall Sound system, with a hint of Alpine in it (Radio Receiver/Control Head is made by ALPINE)
Reverse Gear - Use it after every ride..
Low Seat Height & Heated
Strong brakes - ABS

Dislikes:
Wind Protection - I've slowly added the Transcontinental Wind Protection assets to my Bagger.. (Fairing Winglets, Auxiliary Lights and Lower Leg Wind Protection)

Top 3:

1. Looks
2. Gas Mileage
3. Looks (pretty much what this bike is for, isnt it?)

Bottom 3:
1. Thought it was to have phone charging in the holder, but its just a fan.
2. Free Sirius ran out after a year.
3. Gas filler centered over frame tube so cant get nozzle in for those pumps with anti-pollution stuff.

Bike has over 8k on it (second R18, the Bagger) and has been on a few long trips. May have to look into a different seat, but its tolerable. First bike I bought, where I went straight to the detailing shelves to get cleaner, polish and rags. :)

USA’s cruiser/touring market is apparently still an uphill climb for BMW.
$6900 (33%) off MSRP, 0.0% financing and BMW pays your first four payments.
BMW has to be losing money on every one no? On a $20K bike what could their
profit be? $3,500?

IMG_3407.jpgIMG_3407.jpeg

I get torn with great deals. I wish this was 5 or 10 years ago. I want to retire from my current job in a year and change, go to grad school and start a different career to do until I am no longer extant. This will impact my ability and desire to take on more debt approaching that. I still have a car payment and I hope to pay that off in the next couple years and I already have bike. If circumstances were different, I'd get a B.

Back