• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RT Exhaust / Silencer Cleaner?

Hi All,

There is still snow on the ground here so why not do some cleaning?

I have a 2015 R1200RT and the exhaust / silencer / tail pipe is fairly discolored that doesn't wash off with soap and water. Has anyone successfully cleaned /polished this and if so do you have recommendations? Are these coated with anything or just brushed stainless?

TIA!

(Picture added)

Attachments

• rlh4ib1y6fcrz79qooor.jpg
    rlh4ib1y6fcrz79qooor.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
A picture would help, as I have the chromed exhaust on my 2016 R. They are not coated as far as I am aware, and I have used polish a time or two on mine. I wouldn't want to use abrasives on the brushed stainless, so chemical cleaners are probably going to be the best bet...

From your picture, it appears that you have a stainless steel silencer. Actually, pretty rare from those I have seen.
It CAN be polished with a lot of effort to appear similar to chrome.

Frank

You might look at cleaners for stainless appliances, and always rub with the grain. If you find it necessary to use an abrasive cleaner and want to maintain the brushed look, use a rougher scotch-brite type pad, and again rub with the grain to maintain the brushed look. Practice/test any method first on the back of the muffler where the strap will cover up.

Reactions: lee
Oxalic acid like that found in a powered cleaner like Bar Keeper's Friend chemically cleans polished stainless steel that is oxidized from heat. I used it for years on the mufflers on my ST1300 which begin to take on the yellowish golden hue after about 10,000 miles. BKF returned them to a sparkling finish. Because it is slightly abrasive you don't use it to rub the surface clean like a polish or metal cleaner. Instead make a thick paste of BKF on a rag or sponge and apply it to the clean(!) wetted surface. After two minutes or so gently rub it with the applicator then rinse clean with running water. No elbow grease needed.

Oxalic acid like that found in a powered cleaner like Bar Keeper's Friend chemically cleans polished stainless steel that is oxidized from heat. I used it for years on the mufflers on my ST1300 which begin to take on the yellowish golden hue after about 10,000 miles. BKF returned them to a sparkling finish. Because it is slightly abrasive you don't use it to rub the surface clean like a polish or metal cleaner. Instead make a thick paste of BKF on a rag or sponge and apply it to the clean(!) wetted surface. After two minutes or so gently rub it with the applicator then rinse clean with running water. No elbow grease needed.
Great advice. Thanks!

Back