• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cleaning bits of road tar off of stainless steel silencer?

JBBLI

My 2016 RT's stainless steel silencer/muffler has accumulated a lot of black flecks of what appears to be road tar.

Spending an afternoon viewing YT videos on how to clean motorcycle exhausts has me even more confused - too many options, not sure if they apply to BMW OEM metal finish....

So for those with this bike - what's the preferred plan?

Naptha solvent and a microfiber rag to dissolve/lossen the tar bits?
With or without 0000 steel wool (What does that do to this lovely, smooth finish?)
And once the silencer is as clean as can be, what type of polish, wax, or sealant will protect the finish and make tar removal easier next time?

Lot's of "black ice" mornings right now, so plenty of time to work on the bike.

I own a professional detailing shop, and although we haven't done a lot of motorcycles (everyone be like "don't touch my bike") but we have done a lot of tar, pine sap and other stuff stuck to the chrome. I know with stainless the last thing you want to use is anything acidic, like vinegar. You can buy Stainless steel cleaner at any department store, or I'm sure regular non acidic cleaners that aren't too strong would get it off with some towel rubbing. You may also consider an oil like WD 40 which shouldn't hurt the finish and will dislodge anything stuck to the metal. Afterwards if you want to give it a nice shine you can use metal polish. We also use a steamer, but doing it by hand may be a better result as shiny bits tend to resoil quickly when cleaned with steam for some reason.

Cheers,
Rich

Do you have the uncoated stainless steel or the chromed stainless steel exhaust?

Soap and water removes surrounding grime to prevent scratches.

A soft cloth dampened with kerosene, diesel, naptha or whatever solvent is handy dissolves the tar. Gasoline works quickly but the low flash point makes it dangerous. Hold the cloth on the tar briefly to let the solvent work, keep rubbing motions to a minimum. Turn the cloth frequently as it may hold bits of grit that were embedded in the tar.

Soap and water cleans up the streaks and any oily residue from the solvent.

Metal polish will buff out minor scratches.

I've used regular auto wax on my stainless muffler, but cannot say it has had any effect.

Funny I have the same issue with the "chrome" muffler on my GSA ... tiny tar bits. Almost looks like pitting but it come off. Assume the WD-40 would work on my chrome as well?

Funny I have the same issue with the "chrome" muffler on my GSA ... tiny tar bits. Almost looks like pitting but it come off. Assume the WD-40 would work on my chrome as well?
Yes. I used it on the muffler cover of our K1200RS. Be gentle and let it set for a few seconds. Fine scratches, if you get any, will come out with Zymol (or similar "cleaner" wax).

I own a professional detailing shop, and although we haven't done a lot of motorcycles (everyone be like "don't touch my bike") but we have done a lot of tar, pine sap and other stuff stuck to the chrome. I know with stainless the last thing you want to use is anything acidic, like vinegar. You can buy Stainless steel cleaner at any department store, or I'm sure regular non acidic cleaners that aren't too strong would get it off with some towel rubbing. You may also consider an oil like WD 40 which shouldn't hurt the finish and will dislodge anything stuck to the metal. Afterwards if you want to give it a nice shine you can use metal polish. We also use a steamer, but doing it by hand may be a better result as shiny bits tend to resoil quickly when cleaned with steam for some reason.

Cheers,
Rich

As you are a pro, I wonder if you are familiar with this company. I've used them for years for my detailing supplies (Bikes and cars) If good, other MOAers may find them useful, if there are better, we'd like to know.
https://www.detailersdomain.com/

Do you have the uncoated stainless steel or the chromed stainless steel exhaust?

I think the correct answer is that I have a stainless steel muffler/silencer and I have chromed stainless steel exhaust pipes. The issue I'm talking about is on the silencer/muffler (stainless), not on the exhaust pipes (chrome). I'll give the helpful suggestions from the group a shot starting with the WD40 and a microfiber rag.

I think the correct answer is that I have a stainless steel muffler/silencer and I have chromed stainless steel exhaust pipes. The issue I'm talking about is on the silencer/muffler (stainless), not on the exhaust pipes (chrome). I'll give the helpful suggestions from the group a shot starting with the WD40 and a microfiber rag.

I was asking because on the R1200RS and R1200R, the chromed muffler is very smooth, and the unchromed muffler has a machined finish that appears to be not as smooth.
I thought the rougher finish of the unchromed muffler might be harder to clean.

bmw-motorrad-r-1200-r-designboom08.jpg

bmw-r1200r-2015-exhaust.jpg

I was asking because on the R1200RS and R1200R, the chromed muffler is very smooth, and the unchromed muffler has a machined finish that appears to be not as smooth.
I thought the rougher finish of the unchromed muffler might be harder to clean.

bmw-motorrad-r-1200-r-designboom08.jpg

bmw-r1200r-2015-exhaust.jpg

My muffler looks like the bike from the bottom picture (red trellis frame). I understood this to be highly polished stainless steel, not chromed stainless. I’ll read a bit more...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back