• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1150R Road trip parts

kantuckid

I am leaving soon on a trip that takes me as far as Panama-from KY- and have only been riding an oilhead for several years. I already have packed tire repair,air pump, spare bulbs,fuses, metal gas quick connects(I have already replaced them once with OEM) and will have my tools. I am a professional car guy in the past(self described out of date-sort of- mechanic) and am wondering if an alternator belt or other parts should be in the mix? My bike is a single spark 2003 model with only 4800k and I have put on a set of fresh Z6's as the 90x OEM tires were starting to cup, esp. on the front. I have my dealer list written in my Anonymous book for Mexico and Central America plus some other bike shops there.

I am open to your thoughts based on actual experience with a similar bike??? thanks in advance!

I'd carry an alternator belt or at least have the equivalent belt written down.

I put 50,000 miles on my belt before changing it on my 03 R :dunno , it was pretty ragged when I changed it.

A couple of oil filters, I'd change the tank fuel filter AND put an inline fuel filter OUTSIDE the tank. Carry spares, or put one on you can clean. The fuel in Mexico might be dodgy...fueling out of drums, and I'd rig a pre-filter to run the gas thru as I was fueling.

Good luck...Id love to go with you...but I can't.

You picked a great bike for the trip.

BTW...how's your Spanish?

Back