• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1100s models, repair information and related

The short spline engagement with the 6 speed transmissions is not always fatal even though it is a goofy design. My 2003 R1150R had 189,000 miles on the original transmission and clutch when I sold it. The clutch splines were cleaned and lubed at 67,000 miles and 129,000 miles. My shop notes from that 129K work were, "clutch splines look very good." The lubricant I used at 67K was my 50-50 mix of Honda Moly 60 and a very sticky green grease. At 129K I used Guard Dog Moly Lubricants 525 moly grease. Both of these are very sticky, waterproof, thick grease with 25 to 30 percent moly by volume.

I think proper lubrication is critical and I think transmission to engine alignment is critical. So is flywheel runout critical in my opinion.

Last edited:
Weep hole

Since there really is no answer that is definitive, I move to flog the weep hole controversy. :) weep hole.png To drill or not to drill a weep hole.

Since there really is no answer that is definitive, I move to flog the weep hole controversy. :) View attachment 91017 To drill or not to drill a weep hole.

It is easier to file a small "V" notch where the slave cylinder meets the case - if you are replacing the slave cylinder. It is hard to get a drill into the right position with the transmission in place.

What pain?

He was whining about an issue that he never experienced. That must put him in a whole new category....

"Now I find out that BMW just screwed the pooch which for them appears to be not a new phenomena! Ahhh, now why would I even think a thing like that? "

"Now I find out that BMW just screwed the pooch which for them appears to be not a new phenomena! Ahhh, now why would I even think a thing like that? "

Hey now, no fair stealing my line.:nono

What I'd like to know is what ever happened to...."Simple by choice". Guess it went out with the baby's proverbial bath water. I wonder if BMW ever fired the genius that came up with that ABS system on the R1150? Nawwww, probably project manager on the wethead program. Hey, you gotta see the humor here.:boldpurpl

I'm in rare form this morning.

Motorrad's greatest hits

What I'd like to know is what ever happened to...."Simple by choice". Guess it went out with the baby's proverbial bath water. I wonder if BMW ever fired the genius that came up with that ABS system on the R1150? Nawwww, probably project manager on the wethead program. Hey, you gotta see the humor here.:boldpurpl

I'm in rare form this morning.

Putting an automobile clutch in a bike....

What I'd like to know is what ever happened to...."Simple by choice". Guess it went out with the baby's proverbial bath water.

Manufactures have to follow the leader and keep up with the competition doncha know. Boat and RV owners keep the industry rolling with "3 footitus". With power sports it seems "10 more horsepower" and Gadgets". :dunno

OM

Gadgets

Manufactures have to follow the leader and keep up with the competition doncha know. Boat and RV owners keep the industry rolling with "3 footitus". With power sports it seems "10 more horsepower" and Gadgets". :dunno

OM

So right on "footitus", does seem it's 3ft. increments for Boats and RV's. I do think "rider aids" will continue as major differentiation between models aside from cc. . Not too sure about a self balancing bike though.

Gtk

FWIW as a relative newb to BMW bikes and generally [OK overly] enthused owner of an '01 r1100s - one who is not particularly mechanically inclined [though I read Pirsig enough times to feel bad about it... sorta] - I just want to say that I'm enjoying this thread a lot and it is helping to fill in some blanks.

Having invoked the ire of forum experts by overreacting to some unexpected oil loss [rear main was leaking, though Max's advised I keep filling it and riding it up to 30k, which I did, very enjoyably] it is nice for some of us brand/model newcomers and ham fisted non mechanics to benefit from re-engagement of long running debates. My final drive seal also started seeping late in the season, though only under stop&go in hot conditions.. I'm hopeful the bill of health says it was merely all the relative seals etc. and not a massive/spline etc. issue..

Anyway, the bike is currently at Max getting the business but I'm truly grateful for all the knowledge and context on here... also can't wait to watch these vids. I think I might like this Chris Harris better than the TV guy.

YMMV.

Welcome YMMV

FWIW as a relative newb to BMW bikes and generally [OK overly] enthused owner of an '01 r1100s - one who is not particularly mechanically inclined [though I read Pirsig enough times to feel bad about it... sorta] - I just want to say that I'm enjoying this thread a lot and it is helping to fill in some blanks.

Having invoked the ire of forum experts by overreacting to some unexpected oil loss [rear main was leaking, though Max's advised I keep filling it and riding it up to 30k, which I did, very enjoyably] it is nice for some of us brand/model newcomers and ham fisted non mechanics to benefit from re-engagement of long running debates. My final drive seal also started seeping late in the season, though only under stop&go in hot conditions.. I'm hopeful the bill of health says it was merely all the relative seals etc. and not a massive/spline etc. issue..

Anyway, the bike is currently at Max getting the business but I'm truly grateful for all the knowledge and context on here... also can't wait to watch these vids. I think I might like this Chris Harris better than the TV guy.

YMMV.

Welcome to the fold, everyone here has limits to what they will attempt. I'm putting off a clutch maintenance because of how intensive it is, I know I can do it but.... anyways, first learn how to properly handle tools, understand what each does, don't strip fasteners and snap heads off of bolts etc. Start with simple things like an oil change, understand the completely stupid methods to even figure out how much oil you put in and why sometime it looks like you have no oil in it when you do...very easy to over fill this bike and flood the airbox...long story. GET A MANUAL!!! Chilton or whatever. Even if you don't use it, take section about the bike you really don't understand and read that section.

Also, the bike shouldn't leak oil or any fluid...unless you over fill the gas tank on a hot day...:)

Welcome to the fold, everyone here has limits to what they will attempt. I'm putting off a clutch maintenance because of how intensive it is, I know I can do it but.... anyways, first learn how to properly handle tools, understand what each does, don't strip fasteners and snap heads off of bolts etc. Start with simple things like an oil change, understand the completely stupid methods to even figure out how much oil you put in and why sometime it looks like you have no oil in it when you do...very easy to over fill this bike and flood the airbox...long story. GET A MANUAL!!! Chilton or whatever. Even if you don't use it, take section about the bike you really don't understand and read that section.

Also, the bike shouldn't leak oil or any fluid...unless you over fill the gas tank on a hot day...:)

Thanks.. I agree of course that we all have our limits, I hugely respect people who can do all their own work. I'm an enthusiastic oil changer and battery tender etc. I love and enjoy my Clymer manual which sits on our dining room bookcase for reference and perusing over coffee. BUT, for now methinks it makes sense for me to push more buttons and earn the $$$ needed to pay the pros. I also love knowing that everything is done correctly to spec when I am flying along down the road. :)

In terms of the leaks - yes, Max's is replacing the rear main seal... my bike sat barely used for 20 years [17k between 2001 and 2020], apparently its not uncommon for the seals to dry out as a result. Though I have bathed them plenty on the way to 30k as of EOY. Don't think is a problem that will re-occur based on lack of use! Cam service port and oil plug rings also needed some refresh. Here's hoping for a long dry season [though I'll def spill oil in my driveway again at some point].

Sat on the same k1600B model year that I'll be renting in Texas for the MotoGP weekend in just a few weeks. BIG bike, should be fun/funny.

But I'm pining to ride my oilhead. :bikes

Thanks.. I agree of course that we all have our limits, I hugely respect people who can do all their own work. I'm an enthusiastic oil changer and battery tender etc. I love and enjoy my Clymer manual which sits on our dining room bookcase for reference and perusing over coffee. BUT, for now methinks it makes sense for me to push more buttons and earn the $$$ needed to pay the pros. I also love knowing that everything is done correctly to spec when I am flying along down the road. :)

In terms of the leaks - yes, Max's is replacing the rear main seal... my bike sat barely used for 20 years [17k between 2001 and 2020], apparently its not uncommon for the seals to dry out as a result. Though I have bathed them plenty on the way to 30k as of EOY. Don't think is a problem that will re-occur based on lack of use! Cam service port and oil plug rings also needed some refresh. Here's hoping for a long dry season [though I'll def spill oil in my driveway again at some point].

Sat on the same k1600B model year that I'll be renting in Texas for the MotoGP weekend in just a few weeks. BIG bike, should be fun/funny.

But I'm pining to ride my oilhead. :bikes

GP will be awesome. Did the same once for the Laguna GP. May want to have Max's replace the left cam chain tensioner if it still has the old style one in it. Had to look up FWIW...;)

I've gotten as far as doing valve checks on my 1100 S. As soon as I can afford the rebuild kit I will be doing the carbs on my new to me '83 R100 RS. I've never been into a Bing carb. How bad can it be? Thankfully Snowbum has some in depth articles on the process.

Bing

I've gotten as far as doing valve checks on my 1100 S. As soon as I can afford the rebuild kit I will be doing the carbs on my new to me '83 R100 RS. I've never been into a Bing carb. How bad can it be? Thankfully Snowbum has some in depth articles on the process.

I had a 125 Maico MX bike that had a Bing. Just some jets and needles . Big deal was that float bowl plunger thingy that fills the bowl, that wears out from what I remember.

Mind blown

Watching these Chris Harris videos and learning so much...

Along with the input shaft splines, concerned about:

Clutch slave cylinder
Alt belt
Brake system failure

Will add cam chain tensioner to the list. :uhoh

Lots of fun details on these beasts it would seem!

[still better than my Ducatis :jester]

MH

Watching these Chris Harris videos and learning so much...

Along with the input shaft splines, concerned about:

Clutch slave cylinder
Alt belt
Brake system failure

Will add cam chain tensioner to the list. :uhoh

Lots of fun details on these beasts it would seem!

[still better than my Ducatis :jester]

MH

If you have the original rubber brake lines get rid of them NOW. Not tomorrow. NOW. Speigler makes excellent replacements as do other suppliers. The brake system is VERY reliable (including the servo assisted ones) as long as the rubber lines haven't yet disintegrated from the inside. Yearly flushing is mandatory. Alternator belts are easy to change. Just be methodical. Clutch slave cylinders? See above on brake maintenance.

Replacing the left side cam chain tensioner is also a must and dead easy to do.

Last edited:
Back