• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New(ish) to BMW

chappie01

Hi All
I'm going to be looking at a 2013 R1200RT this weekend and it's been a while since I have been in the BMW world. I've been riding Goldwings for the past 22 years and it's time for a lighter bike. I'm quite short and 65 years old.
I have a couple of questions if you could be so kind.

1. The powerlet socket. Will it handle a Gerbing jacket liner and gloves - about 7 amps for the liner and 2 1/2 for the gloves? I have read on the forum that it's better to have a separate powerlet circuit because of the Canbus system but I assumed that the purpose of the circuit was for accessories - that and a battery maintainer? What happens if it gets overloaded? I can easily add a circuit after I get it home but I have a long ride and it's cold!

2. Suspension. The front and rear can be lowered via shocks and springs by an aftermarket supplier ie: Ted Porter's Beemer Shop and I will lose travel but retain the stock ground clearance? This and the addition of a Sargent low seat should help me a bit. Any problems with this - I'm a pretty conservative rider and more or less stick to the speed limit.

Thanks for any advice you could offer and I'm looking forward to a new adventure. I've had a R100RT and a K75RT so I'm a little familiar with the brand.
Ron

AFAIK the output of the power socket is 10A total no matter how many sockets you have.
It should be enough for your needs (Barely)

Although I have two sockets on my bike, I never use them. I use an SAE connection directly from the battery (Some people use a power distribution module) which allows enough power to run all my heated gear. (Jacket, gloves,pants & socks (14A))

YMMV

Hi Chappie,

Welcome to the forum. I have a 29" inseam and have a 2013 RT with the factory lowered suspension. I don't have any trouble with the slightly lower ground clearance and unless you have some unusual topology to traverse this would be no issue. I've sat on a few previous generation Goldwings and find that my ground reach is about the same. I would not worry about it. The 2013 is the last year of that generation RT (we call it a Camhead) and is rock-solid and very easy to maintain if you like to wrench. Certainly way easier than the Wing.

Back