• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mt Rushmore input....?

Spearfish, SD makes a good base for the area. Other folks have covered most of the local venues and sights. As far as the trip. Give yourself time to enjoy it along the way without making every day an Iron Butt run. Don't ask how I know.

Spearfish, SD makes a good base for the area. Other folks have covered most of the local venues and sights. As far as the trip. Give yourself time to enjoy it along the way without making every day an Iron Butt run. Don't ask how I know.

Good point thank you

I think Mt. Rushmore is totally over rated. Of course, the one time we were there, it was fogged in and I couldn't even see it. :banghead Probably won't drive back that way ever again, so I tell myself I didn't miss anything, it's just a couple dead guys carved from some rocks, right?

10 nights = 12 days?

3600 / 12 is 300 per day. 300 on the interstate system is 4.5 to 5 hrs.

My advice would be to consider a 500 or even 600 for the first day, a bit less on the second and third, then use the banked time for some more riding on back roads and some sightseeing.

Plus out west you can make almost the same time on secondary roads as the slab.

Last edited:
There is a section of back road on the West side of I-90 between Sturgis and Rapid City named Vanocker Canyon Road that merges into Nemo Road. Between Needles Hwy, Iron Mountain Road, and Vanocker Canyon Road, they each have their own unique beauty and made for an eventful trip. Although on par, if I had to rank the rides, I would pick Vanocker Canyon Road as the most fun ride. The sweeping curves at high speeds was a blast and at times felt was I was on an autobahn. Actually I chewed up and spit our HD's like they were sitting ducks on this section of road. A couple HD's tried to keep up and it was a futile attempt. But that's really not the point here. The point is its a great place for a motorcycle trip and enjoy you time there. :brow

Don't miss the back side....

back-of-rushmore.png

Avoid Chicago to Rapid City

Here is a planning question for my ride NY to Rapid City. I am giving this two up ride a maximum of 13 nights on the road. Most to and from will be super slab I80 or I90. Does anyone have advice on going around Chicago. I want to avoid the congestion of that area. Glad to hear advice

sorry. wrong.

if you plan on slabbing it via I-90 then the best advise i can give you is to avoid Chicago at all costs. a couple of years ago i went from West. Co. NY to the national in Gillette WY and found getting through Chicago was the worst part of the trip.

Gotta disagree. Ok... if you want to simply blast thru at 75 mph at rush hour you're not gonna be a happy camper. But it's a great city, with loads of attractions; theatre, sports, architecture, motorcycles, museums, motorcyclists, music, pizza and lots more. If you insist on passing by w/o stopping, try the hours betwen 10:00 am and 2:00 pm or Saturday/ Sunday morning. But if you blow past Chicago, you'll miss the best of the midwest.

For my $, Mt. Rushmore was just about as good as a postcard.

Last edited:
Chicago and I-Pass

From Ohio, I travel to the north and northwest suburbs of Chicago to visit my kids on a regular basis. I agree that it can be problematic, but largely resolved by timing and and I-Pass or similar pass from another state.

10 AM to 2 PM is a great time to go through...also after 7 PM until the morning rush.

If you hate city driving and do not want to take the time and cost of a boat ride, drop down to US 24 in Indiana and stay on it until you come to I-39. Then blow north past Rockford.

I have found an I-Pass also works in Ohio, Indiana, West Virginia, Florida, and may work in New York,,,can't remember on NY. You can get one on the internet.

Watch your speed in Illinois, including Interstates. I recently got nailed in what used to be an interstate construction zone near Springfield, IL in a camera trap. Had to hire an attorney to represent me or show up in court. There were 350 other people all scheduled for a 10 AM court appearance for a violation in the same speed trap. We all paid at least $400 and it had to be cash. People from all over the country were there that morning as well as locals who worked in the courthouse. The judge took care of all cases in less that 3 hours.

Thank you, In New York we have "EasyPass" is that the same as I Pass. If so I am sure it will help keep us moving.

Was just out there for Presidents Weekend to do some snowmobiling. Stopped in at Mt. Rushmore..

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=58864

..be advised parking is very expensive and will not accept the old Golden Pass..now America the Beautiful pass..

http://www.nps.gov/moru/planyourvisit/feesandreservations.htm

Also highly recommend do the Bad Lands loop..and if you have time stop here..

http://www.npca.org/parks/minuteman-missile-national-historic-site.html

..what I did in another life.

Clay
(former Minuteman Missile Combat Crew- Ellsworth AFB,SD)

Last edited:
DO NOT MISS THE MT. RUSHMORE LIGHTING CEREMONY!

Get there about an hour before dusk, see the place, then sit in the arena for the ceremony.

Badlands, get out and walk some of the trails of this amazing ecosystem.

Spearfish canyon. Although that speed limit is way too low.

Devils tower.

Other than around rally time the motels are competitive.

Go to Sturgis when it is empty, and imagine it with 100K bikers, much more fun than when the bikers are there.

Rod

Last edited:
Make sure you have the appropriate weather proof gear. We drove through torrential rain storms virtually unscathed due to good gear. Quick overview;

1. Iron Mountain Road
2. Vanocker Canyon Rd to Nemo Rd between Sturgis and Rapid City SD. (Amazing)
3. Mt. Rushmore
4. Custar State Park
5. Black Hills
6. Needles Hwy
7. Badlands
8. Crazy Horse
9. Deadwood Town
10. Sturgis

Great trip. Won't regret it. Take lots of photos. Give yourselves enough time to enjoy your time there. Enjoy.

Another question; Can anyone tell me if the stretch of I90 between Sioux Falls to Rapid City is very barren? Lacking gas, food, stops etc. Glad to hear input

Another question; Can anyone tell me if the stretch of I90 between Sioux Falls to Rapid City is very barren? Lacking gas, food, stops etc. Glad to hear input
I wouldn't say it's "barren" ..you are in the heart of the Plains where grass is prominent and the wind blows constant and you only see willow and cotton trees lining the rivers and streams. There are stops along the way..may I suggest stopping at Wall Drug(bordering the Bad Lands) as one of your destination stops(equivalent to South of the Border on I-95).

http://www.walldrug.com/

http://www.nps.gov/badl/index.htm

Regards,

Clay
(former Rapid City,SD resident)

p.s. watch out for Jack Rabbits

Last edited:

Plenty of fuel and other stops. If You see the sign drug stop ahead, be sure to take the next exit, stop before the cross road, get out your water, take a nice long drink. Clean your visor. Then suit back up and and get back on the interstate. They are looking for stupid drug traffickers, a motorcycle stopping for a drink and a visor wash gives them some excitement. I was watched very closely. Very, very closely. Er ahh, maybe you should not do that.

Depending on the time of year, in September the bugs were very very bad. I had to take almost every exit to wash the visor. My jacket is stained. I was a mess. When I stopped for the night, I took the bike to the car wash, and hung up my jacket and pants too, gave them all a wash.

Rod

I guess you missed the Wyoming rally, but a trip to Devils Tower can be interesting, as well. Get a decent buffalo steak at a good place too!
You should have a blast!

If you want a little more scenic route, grab US 20 West at Sioux City. It will take you through the heart of the Sand Hills. If you haven't seen the Sand Hills before, it's a unique kind of beauty.

You can take US 20 all the way to Chadron, then go North to the Black Hills. Or you can cut North at Merriman to US 18 West, stop at the Wounded Knee site, and cut North through the Pine Ridge to the Badlands.

The Sand Hills.
686949330_r9pKK-L.jpg

Scenic, SD in the Badlands
686948998_FHCCG-L.jpg

Starting in Chicago, I spent the night in Sioux Falls, SD because it was about a days ride. Another factor was the the interstate between Sioux Falls and Rapid City was closed due to flooding. The next day I rode from Sioux Falls to Rapid City in about 4 to 5 hours if I recall correctly. The entire ride was through torrential down pour. I had cross winds blowing North to South at about 60 mph. No exaggeration, the bike was canted and swaying anywhere from 5 degrees to 20 degree off vertical. I drove 70 to 80 mph thinking I could blow through the storm. There was not blowing through as the storm was too big. Passing semi's I had to steer and angle the bike towards the front wheels of the truck because the cross winds would blow may clear across the occupied lane as I passed it. As I recall there really was not much between Sioux Falls and Rapid City. Open barren landscape. Just my experience.

Back