• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mt Rushmore input....?

Jon

Wave to motorcycle cops
Planning 2 up ride for next year to see Mt Rushmore. Round trip looks like 3600 miles on the LT. Most of the ride will most likey be on the super slab. Hotel / Motel for sleep Anyone have input on the trip? Give up 10 nights for the round trip. Thanks

if you plan on slabbing it via I-90 then the best advise i can give you is to avoid Chicago at all costs. a couple of years ago i went from West. Co. NY to the national in Gillette WY and found getting through Chicago was the worst part of the trip.

Mt. Rushmore is just one of many delightful things in the Black Hills. Wind Cave National Park is a gem. For riding pleasure the "Wildlife Loop", Needles Highway, and Custer State Park are wonderful. The little towns - Hot Springs, Custer, Deadwood, etc can be touristy and nice at the same time. We like the southern end of the area better than the northern end.

Agree, Route 90, Plus all of what Paul said. Did this ride in reverse from Redmond last year. Also if you have time see the Arch and well as the MOA headquaters. Have a fun and safe trip.:thumb

Attachments

• MOA Rally Redmond, 2010 166.jpg
    MOA Rally Redmond, 2010 166.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 386
There are a couple of nice small motels in Keystone, SD that you can see the National Memorial from.

What others said plus do not miss the Crazy Horse monument which is even more impressive than Mt. Rushmore and still not finished.

In the general area:

321184432_DyA6t-M.jpg

CrazyHorse

321178625_jVKku-M.jpg

Devil's Tower

321180863_AHWPS-M.jpg

along US 14 or US 85 headed to Lead and Deadwood

Mt. Rushmore

+1 for Avoiding Chicago. The Lake Michigan Ferry from Luddington to Manitowac does that and give you a good chance for a little break, some rest and to drive some decent state roads in Michingan and Wisconsins before getting onto 90.

Having Chicago as my home town, and living in So Cal for 30 yrs, I don't have too much of an issue dealing with the traffic when traversing the Chicago area. If you are coming from the east on I-80, stay on it heading west and then north on I-35 if you want to bypass the area. The big issue is you have multiple major highways all converging in the same general area around the Illinois/Indiana border and it seems to have been under construction for the last 40+ years:>

We like the Blackhills and have visted many times. The Crazy Horse monumnt is a must see. A lot of Souix Indian history at the visitors center. In the 1940's when construstion started, a couple of the Chiefs present were also present at the 1876 Battle of the Little Big Horn. Amazing to think of all the changes that took place from 1876 to the 1940's that they witnessed. The first full weekend in June there is a Volkswalk that will allow you to hike up to the outstreched arm. Two cans of food is the entry fee.

We motel it in Custer, and there is a good selection of establishments to choose from, all very fairly priced. Can't remember the name of the place we use, but can drive right to it every time.

Mt Rushmore is a zoo, especially since they built the parking garage. Extra fee for parking and is not part of your park pass if you have one. Be very carefull riding near Mt Rushmore.

A ride through Custer State Park is also a must. Make sure you have the camera at the ready.

When camping, we use Horse Thief campground. A beautiful tent area is availabe. Pool, showers, etc are available. Been using it since 1973.

There are many places to see and visit, and it looks like you will have about four days available, so do not try to do everything. Take your time and enjoy, leaving something for the next time.

Click on this link for ideas:
http://www.blackhillsbadlands.com/home/thingstodo

Head north to North Dakota and visit the town of Medora. The pitch fork BBQ is very good, followed by entertainment at the outdoor theather. One day up and one day back.

Have fun

bob

Wind Cave National Park is a gem. For riding pleasure the "Wildlife Loop", Needles Highway, and Custer State Park are wonderful.

dang, you beat me to it.

big thumbs up for the parks in the area *other* than Mt. Rushmore....

the view from my campsite in Wind Cave NP...

960441226_9WbdP-XL.jpg

and if you're comfortable with a hard-packed dirt road, there are miles and miles of no one else in Custer State Park....

IMG1774JPG-XL.jpg

I'd also strongly recommend getting off the slab in South Dakota and taking US18 across....

ian

I'll be a spoil sport-my 2 cents: If I had never been to the Rockies, then the Black Hills would be really neat. But, I have and I find it way too touristy in many spots and lacking the level of grandiosity of the Rockies-which I admit, have their touristy areas as well. If you get off the beaten path both thin out quickly but one has 7k elv. , the other more than twice that and lots more trees,water,waterfalls,trout streams,etc.,etc.. So, for me it 's a "glad I went , never go back thing". :blah:blah:blah

On the way to the Gillette rally, I stopped for 4 days in Rapid City. I stayed at the Days Inn on Rushmore Rd. They offer a discount to MOA members. It is not far from the attractions.
Don't miss Spearfish canyon........... .beautiful!
Also try a buffalo steak at on of the many decent eateries in the area. It was really good and a lot leaner than a regular steak.. Avoid Sturgis during the HD thing unless you are into traffic and crowds. Another tourist trap is Wall Drug in Wall SD.
Enjoy the trip!
When checking out Devils Tower, Keep an eye out for aliens! I did see a few, although, they were from Canada, Germany and Mexico....none were little green ones from space!

Last edited:
What others said plus do not miss the Crazy Horse monument which is even more impressive than Mt. Rushmore and still not finished.

X10 on Crazy Horse. If they have trips up to the top take it. And the helicopter ride in a small two seater is amazing. Make sure you give yourself enough time while there. The roads to Lead, Spearfish and Deadwood are amazing.

Avoid "Sturgis"...

It depends on what you're looking for, I suppose, but you will probably wish to avoid the noise and bedlam that is Sturgis Bike Week. Always held the first full week (i.e. Sunday - Saturday) in August. :dunno

As far as caves, stay away from the "touristy" ones and stick with the National Parks/Monuments (Wind Cave & Jewel Cave). :thumb

JP

The koa campground is nice.They have cabins and a free shuttle bus to Rushmore at dusk so you go and sit in the dark and they throw all the floodlights on at once.Very impressive.Wildlife loop is a must do.watch for goats on the road.Ed

Wonderful area, Vanocker Canyon Road was a gem of a ride that some locals pointed out to us. Sugar Shack has good burgers and area to kick back.

Mt Rushmore input...

I am from the Black Hills and agree with most all of the prior posts ( this is the best part of SD). There are some other very nice two lane rides in between the major attractions in the hills that don't get much attention. The quickest way to get from eastern SD to the Hills is I-90 however Hwy 18 (crosses the southern part of SD and south of I-90) or Hwy 14 (crosses thru central SD North of I-90) both are pretty good roads and not much traffic. I did the BMW rally from here to PA trip this summer and agree that Chicago should be avoided if possible ( I came back from PA thru Chicago). Every road seemed to be under construction. Up to Luddington MI then on the ferry boat to Wisconsin will work, if you have time (the ferry ride is several hours so you lose a day). Go around lake Michigan to the north thru the upper penninsula and into northern Wisconsin to Minnesota on the way to Rushmore. That route would be my choice. Once in the Black Hills the needles highway is a must along with Spearfish Canyon. Plenty of motels usually available except during the Stugis Rally and a week or two on either side of the rally. A lot of rally goers like to come in before the rally to ride or just at the end of the rally. During the rally I wouldn't call walking your bike in tail pipe to front wheel traffic riding. So I don't recommend the rally time frame to visit if your goal is to ride. In advance welcome to S Dak. and enjoy

We were just in that area at the end of August for the first time and really enjoyed it. Lots of really neat roads for riding. Not for going fast though, but still very enjoyable on a bike. We camped just outside of Custer next to the KOA at Beaver Lake campground which was also very nice, clean and well maintained. I'll highly reccomend the bakery in Custer for breakfast.

.Wildlife loop is a must do.watch for goats on the road.

And watch out for buffalo and donkeys and wild turkeys. We had all of the above making themselves obstacles on the roads.

if you plan on slabbing it via I-90 then the best advise i can give you is to avoid Chicago at all costs. a couple of years ago i went from West. Co. NY to the national in Gillette WY and found getting through Chicago was the worst part of the trip.

The construction has been completed (not that Chicago is NEVER under construction) of the main thru-way around the I-80/I-294/I-94 interchanges which caused backups at the time of Gillette. Also, I-355, the west bypass (west of I-294) is complete up into Downer's Grove and connects up with I-290 around Bloomingdale giving a nice second option to I-294 Get thee an I-pass and you won't have any trouble zooming through the Chicago area.

Back