• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Chicago-Seattle-Death Valley-Denver

modarin9

Fear is the Mind Killer
Hello Fellow Riders.

I have begun planning a trip West from Chicago towards the Badlands, Devil's Tower, Bozeman, Seattle then south along the coast towards California before heading in towards Yosemite and Death Valley and on up to Denver. I've done a lot of riding in the US, South America and Europe but mostly with friends or tours. However, this would primarily be solo. I have a 2019 F850GSA with about 10K. I am not a camper preferring motels/hotels. The plan is to ride 200-280 miles daily with a few two overnight rest stops along the way.

Any advice, suggestions, warnings or comments would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks.

We like to take hwy 2 from Grand Island to Alliance through the Sand Hills when crossing Nebraska. Going to the Badlands you probably want to turn north at Hyannis or Ellsworth.
A good motel in Broken Bow Ne. is the Arrow Hotel. https://www.arrowhotel.com/arrow-east
We stay in the new construction Arrow East and get a room overlooking the town square.
The Hotel has a good restaurant.

20220722_155250.jpg

In Oregon try to visit Crater Lake.
Northern Ca. visit Lassen Volcanic NP and Avenue of the Giants.
What month do you plan to go?
We have not been to Yosemite since 2009. Someone who have been there recently can give advice on restrictions.

As a Californian, Death Valley, while beautiful, is best visited in the shoulder seasons in the spring and fall. It will be the worst motorcycle ride of your life in the summer, IMHO.

There are but two hotels in the park and the nearest ones outside the park are about a hundred miles away.

I'd recommend getting a set of Butler Maps for the states your visiting and stringing together a bunch of "nice road diversions" to go with the highway miles you'll probably need to do.

If you're coming to NorCal, I'd be happy to give you some suggestions that the locals ride.

Any advice, suggestions, warnings or comments would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks.

If you've traveled the last three years you noticed the restaurant and motel price have really gone up.
We have not seen as much of a price increase at the small privately owned motels.

As a Californian, Death Valley, while beautiful, is best visited in the shoulder seasons in the spring and fall. It will be the worst motorcycle ride of your life in the summer, IMHO.

There are but two hotels in the park and the nearest ones outside the park are about a hundred miles away.

I'd recommend getting a set of Butler Maps for the states your visiting and stringing together a bunch of "nice road diversions" to go with the highway miles you'll probably need to do.

If you're coming to NorCal, I'd be happy to give you some suggestions that the locals ride.

I spent a few days in Death Valley last year in early may and it was quite warm then. I tried to keep to the higher elevation areas as I was camping. I don't mind heat up to a reasonable level and found that it was pretty tolerable for the most part. I did see a high of 42 C at Furnace Creek on the afternoon I was headed out, but mainly the temps were in the mid 30s C. I can't imagine being out there much later in the season. Not sure what the hotel prices are, but if they are as high as the fuel prices, be ready for a shock. Camping was pretty reasonable for fairly basic facilities in a National Park.

Great options all around on that trip

I've live in Utah, Montana and north of Seattle for over 30 years and have ridden extensively all over the west. Some folks have already given you some good ideas and being from Chicago I suspect some curvy roads are in your future.

Here are some ideas, it sounds like the Badlands are already on the list.
* Mt Rushmore
*Devils Tower
*Beartooth Pass
*Yellowstone (but I'm sure will be SUPER busy and ya probably need a reservation)
*Lolo Pass
*Hwy 20 all across Washington State
*Mt Rainier
*Mt St Helens
*Forks (if you are one of those movie fans, not much there but 1 flashing light the last time I rode through)
*Olympic Park
In Oregon on the coast is the Lewis and Clark final stop on their journey (border of WA & OR)
*McMinnville (Spruce goose is there at the Evergreen Museum)
*Crater Lake
*Avenue of the Giants in CA
I'd blow off Death Valley unless you REALLY want to go, I rode through there back in the 80's and it was 117. I lost my hydraulic clutch due to the fluid turning to the viscosity of water
Near Vegas is Valley of Fire State Park
*Southern Utah - All or any the Big parks, Bryce, Zion, Grand Staircase Escalante, natural bridges, etc.

Start looking at maps my man and you'll have an awesome trip!

Ride on!

Brian, what and where is Forks? I didn't have any luck with Google.

Forks, WA is on the west side of the Olympic Peninsula and is the location of a series of vampire/romance novels (I know, weird, right?) called Twilight.

There's not much there at all, but it's in a pretty spot. If memory serves, it's reasonably close to the park with the temperate rain forest.

Forks, WA is on the west side of the Olympic Peninsula and is the location of a series of vampire/romance novels (I know, weird, right?) called Twilight.

There's not much there at all, but it's in a pretty spot. If memory serves, it's reasonably close to the park with the temperate rain forest.

:thumb

On 101, south of Beaver. Coordinates N47.962 W124.395

If you've got the time, and Forks is on your itinerary, you may consider visiting Shi Shi, (pronounced shy shy), The Hoh Rainforest, and Cape Flattery. There's camping close to Neah Bay at Hobuck Beach on the Makah rez.

And to add to Bdiver's recommendations. Research Wind Cave National Park, and lodging at Hot Springs in South Dakota.

YMMV

If you've got the time, and Forks is on your itinerary, you may consider visiting Shi Shi, (pronounced shy shy), The Hoh Rainforest, and Cape Flattery. There's camping close to Neah Bay at Hobuck Beach on the Makah rez.

And to add to Bdiver's recommendations. Research Wind Cave National Park, and lodging at Hot Springs in South Dakota.

YMMV

If you're visiting those spots, Hurricane Ridge is also a nice motorcycle stop, with incredible views of the Olympic Mts. The road to access comes out of Port Angeles, WA.

Back