• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Morning Reads: Labor Day Weekend Edition 2008

mika

Still Wondering
Happy Birthday :30th , 31st , :September 1st ,

237640101_52AUd-XL.jpg

wheels.ca: Motorcycles and scooters big polluters

motoring.co.za: ‘Baby Ninja’ urban warrior for biking newbies

cmgonline.com: New super-sport-tours…maybe

fastbikesmag.com: Triumph 675 gets an overhaul for 2009

gizmag.com: Kawasaki preparing revolutionary new engine
solomoto30.com- the source of the articles information

solomot.com: Scooters for BMW by 2009 or 2010

topspeed.com: German performance shop transforms BWM F800GS into Hypermotard

visordown.com: Is this MV Agusta’s new 675 triple?

From webBikeWorld.com and Chris’ blogs – Multiple Bike Syndrome Parts 1 and 2
Yamaha FJR1300
R1150GS

thekneeslider.com: Buell Blast recall

239852409_KpNpL-M.jpg

worldsbk.com: Xaus set for resurgent weekend.
Xaus has signed with BMW WSBK 2009

1967 BOAC 500 Sports Car Race Brands Hatch – now vintage cars racing in there day and Phil Hill
<embed id="VideoPlayback" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-1393168345775539215&hl=en&fs=true" style="width:400px;height:326px" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

formula1.com: Interview with Gerhard Berger on Vettel, Bourdais and KERS

motorauthority.com: Spy shots- Rolls-Royce RR4 Saloon

topgear.com: In the Schnitz
AC Schnitzer works its magic on a Series 1 BMW

237925770_HoJge-XL.jpg

Stuff

forums.bmwmoa.org: experiment – you folks write the sig line policy

182526939_JkRJz-Ti.jpg

Packers Blog – jsonline.com
Packers.com – News from the football shrine
Green Bay Post Gazette: Packer News, Commentary

Offical site of the Premier League

GasBuddy.com has gas temperature maps intended to let you see what gas prices are around the US and Canada. Areas are color coded according to the reported local average price for regular unleaded gasoline.
US
Canada

Channel 3 News: The Ian Schmeisser Phenomenon

The tickets for the supposed major parties have been announced.

361647949_M79uN-M.jpg

Who will take the pillion seat on the ISP ticket? The world waits to hear.

358363679_ucvAY-M.jpg

Wonderings

I arrived home very late the other night and left the bike out. As is my habit I locked my helmet on the bike with the helmet lock. I went to bed and slept soundly. This was followed by the morning routine of making coffee and then working from home.

After lunch I put my riding jacket on, bagged my laptop and notes, slung them over my back and headed out to the bike to ride to a meeting. Stepping outside I noticed that it was a warm day and though how glad I am for mesh jackets and then wished my Shoei helmet was better vented for comfort on a day like this.

Arriving at the bike I went through the various ritual tasks and quick inspections that begin a riding day. Sitting on the bike I flipped my helmet in my hands and slipped it on. My head was instantly cooled as the moisture in the padding water cooled my head. My neck was damp from the overflow of coolant as it was squeezed out from the padding. I rode off and laughed at myself as I thought about ‘the wet head is dead’ TV commercials.

While I was shocked by this in some small dark corner in the back of my mind I knew it would happen. Complacency about putting the bike away had set in after many long days of no rain. I had slept soundly but the awareness part of my human hunter gather brain had been aware of the overnight rain despite how soundly I had slept. It didn’t register in my consciousness because it wasn’t a danger to me safe in my soft dry bed.

This is much the same feeling I had when I read the Toronto Star - wheels.ca article about polluting belching two-wheelers.

Complacency has set in over the years. When I began riding pollution in the form of smog and litter were the concerns of the day. I could feel smug knowing that I was less of a polluter riding my bike because I was yield multiples better miles per gallon, the general measure of pollution volume of that day, than my cage counterparts. Little has changed since those days.

This complacency and the smiles per mile factor of riding a motorcycle lulled me into a sort of environmental sleep. In this sleep my motorcycle hunter gatherer brain was aware of things such as EU regulations, California v 49 state models, FI added primarily as pollution control instead of performance enhancement on all brands, the growing number of sensors on bikes and the appearance of catalytic converters on BMWs. Yet this information was tucked in the some dark corner of the dream rider motorcycle helmet inside my head.

The article squeezed the information out and washed it over my consciousness. As I ride away from the article I am not laughing in the same way that I did after my real life wet helmet experience.

Motorcycle industry divides itself into two main categories of light weight and heavy weight based on engine capacity. 650cc engine capacity marks the dividing line. All the current roundel models are classed as heavy weights, with the soon to be released G450 being the first light weight in some time. If the article is correct even our new light weight brother will be off the charts in pollution terms.

My Roadster falls in the heavy weight category. In city driving it continues to yield multiples in miles per gallon over the majority of cars. On the high way it is another story. A growing number of cages are challenging or even exceeding my mpg.

But the smiles for mile can not be matched. That is a value judgment made by a long time motorcyclist. The reality is there are a lot of smiles to be had flogging a 3 Series convertible around and the mpg argument for the bike may well go away if the 3 is a diesel. If I remember to put the drop top up at the end of the day I am nice and dry when I drop it the next morning.

The challenge for riders and manufacturers is where do we go from here? I still want a motorcycle and its unique smile per mile factor. A visible mechanical thing called an engine is part of what defines the look of a motorcycle for me. How will hybrid, hydrogen powered, KERS and other things make motorcycles environmentally friendly while remaining motorcycles as we look at them?

It is not the end of the motorcycling world. The sky is not falling. It is just a little less clear than it could or will be because of what we choose for transportation. As I ride away and my consciousness dries a bit I am left wondering what will make up my future bike.

Bike Candy

361648242_mxpzr-L.jpg

Page 2: MotherShip News and Bugs Bunny
The two were made for each other

THE END

Last edited:
Page 2

238372550_gEvAn-M.jpg

With all the focus on the F650 and 800 the G450ÔÇÖs September release in some markets may be overlooked. Here are some of BMW-web.tvÔÇÖs videos.
<object width="425" height="271"><param name="FlashVars" value="requestUrl=http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/stage/playerxml?items%5B0%5D=0TFmReT"/><param name="movie" value="http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/player.swf?requestUrl=http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/stage/playerxml?items%5B0%5D=0TFmReT" /><embed src="http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/player.swf?requestUrl=http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/stage/playerxml?items%5B0%5D=0TFmReT" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="271" allowfullscreen="true" FlashVars="requestUrl=http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/stage/playerxml?items%5B0%5D=0TFmReT"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="271"><param name="FlashVars" value="requestUrl=http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/stage/playerxml?items%5B0%5D=b9ChR1V"/><param name="movie" value="http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/player.swf?requestUrl=http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/stage/playerxml?items%5B0%5D=b9ChR1V" /><embed src="http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/player.swf?requestUrl=http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/stage/playerxml?items%5B0%5D=b9ChR1V" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="271" allowfullscreen="true" FlashVars="requestUrl=http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/stage/playerxml?items%5B0%5D=b9ChR1V"></embed></object>

THE WAIT IS OVER! THE 2009 F 800 GS ARRIVES AT U.S. BMW MOTORRAD DEALERS
08/29/2008

BMW Motorrad's Year of the Enduro Continues with the Arrival of a Powerful Dual-Purpose Twin
Woodcliff Lake, NJ - August 29, 2008... There's still time to rule the woods, the desert and a four-lane highway with a versatile new ride this summer. After much anticipation in the motorcycling community, the all-new 2009 BMW F 800 GS has arrived at U.S. BMW Motorrad dealers.

On the road, the F 800 GS offers impressive speed and acceleration with its six-speed gear box and parallel twin engine, delivering 85 horsepower and 62 lb/feet of torque. Features like heated hand grips, available ABS (which can be turned off when riding off-road) and an on-board computer provide the comfort and safety of a long-distance touring bike.

For off-road riding, the F 800 GS comes equipped with 21inch front and 17 inch rear wire spoked wheels, wide foot pegs, an underseat 4.2 gallon gas tank for better weight distribution, and a standard under-engine skid plate. Possessing the power-to-weight ratio of a high-performance enduro, the feisty F 800 GS is a lean, mean impressive handling machine - no matter where the road leads.

The 2009 F 800 GS has a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $10,520 (excluding freight). The Standard Package, offered at a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $12,025 (excluding freight) includes heated hand grips, Anti-Lock Brakes, an on-board computer, and white (clear lens) turn signals. It is available in two colors - Dark Magnesium Metallic and Sunset Yellow.

Rooted in BMW History
The F 800 GS is the latest addition to BMW Motorrad's dual-sport model lineup. The bike follows in the footsteps of the highly acclaimed R 1200 GS - which traces its roots back to the early 1980s when BMW won the grueling Paris-Dakar rally four times with its trailblazing dual-purpose R 80 GS.

BMW Motorrad's GS model line also includes the upgraded R 1200 GS and GS Adventure. Since their debut in 2004, the versatile R 1200 GS and its rugged companion, the R 1200 GS Adventure, have earned praise from motorcycle enthusiasts and the press for their exceptional performance both on and off the road.

The R 1200 GS has earned award after award, including Cycle World's Best Open Class Street Bike and the International Journalist's Panel "Best Bike in the World."
The R 1200 GS Adventure was named "Best Adventure Bike" three years in a row by editors of Motorcyclist Magazine.

Ready for Competition
With its wide range of enduro motorcycles and increasing numbers of riders who enjoy the "adventure sport" lifestyle, BMW Motorrad is celebrating 2008 as the "Year of the Enduro" by launching the BMW Motorrad International GS Trophy competition on new F 800 GS bikes.

The International GS Trophy is a skills-based contest with GS riders coming from all over the world for a final meeting to pick the best of the best in Tunisia, North Africa, October 15 - 24. The competition is not a race, but a lengthy and challenging ride, both on and off-road, through the rugged countryside of Tunisia.

The event will include numerous tests in individual riding skills and group teamwork to overcome natural and manmade obstacles in the course of the ride.

A team of six riders is selected to compete for the GS Trophy from each of the following BMW Motorrad markets: the United States, Germany, the UK, France, Italy and Japan. Three of the six riders will be journalists, while the remaining three will be GS owners selected by BMW Motorrad in each market. BMW GS and G 650 Xchallenge owners from the U.S. had until July 24, 2008 to submit applications to participate in the 2008 International GS Trophy Competition. For more information about the event, visit xplorGS.com

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Belgian GP ÔÇô Preview
08-29-2008 Press Release
5th ÔÇô 7th September 2008
13th of 18 World Championship races

Munich/Hinwil, 29th August 2008. Formula One trades stifling urban heat for fresh mountain air: after the Valencia street circuit on which the BMW Sauber F1 Team took its eighth podium place of the season, the Belgian Grand Prix beckons in the Ardennes. Covering over seven kilometres, Spa-Francorchamps is the longest race track in the calendar and also features the most extensive full-throttle section by far.

Nick Heidfeld:
ÔÇ£Spa is a fantastic race track with unique corners and a very special character. Although these days with the V8 engines it is no problem taking the Eau Rouge combination in the hollow at full throttle, it remains a standout feature. Compression is absolutely no problem physically, but itÔÇÖs nevertheless a very special sensation. For the spectators too, I can well recommend this section. ItÔÇÖs very impressive the way the cars come roaring along downhill and then accelerate uphill again. In the current race calendar, Spa is the nearest GP circuit to my home town of M?Ânchengladbach, and thatÔÇÖs another reason for me to look forward to the Belgian Grand Prix, where IÔÇÖll be aiming to achieve a good result.ÔÇØ

Robert Kubica:
ÔÇ£From my point of view the race in Spa is one of the best Grands Prix in the calendar. It is a very unique track with high-speed corners you can approach with different racing lines. The most famous corners in Spa-Francorchamps are definitely Eau Rouge and the Bus Stop chicane, which was modified before last yearÔÇÖs race. The circuit is very long and very tricky. You have to find the right balance and the right configuration of the car in order not to lose any lap time. Another crucial factor is the weather in Belgium. It can rain in one sector and it can be dry in another sector. I am really looking forward to the raceÔÇØ

Mario Theissen, BMW Motorsport Director:
ÔÇ£Spa-Francorchamps is one of the specialities in the Formula One calendar. We look forward to the only course in the calendar that can still be described as a natural circuit since it follows the features of the landscape. In the Ardennes, steep inclines are as much a feature as the unpredictable weather.

ÔÇ£Spa may not be the track with the highest speeds ÔÇô that accolade belongs to Monza ÔÇô but in Spa we have the longest stretch taken at full throttle. Since the modification of the famous Eau Rouge corner and the introduction of V8 engines, drivers can go flat-out through the section from the hairpin shortly after the start, through the hollow and then uphill again. In last yearÔÇÖs race we calculated that our drivers held the pedal to the floor for more than 1,865 metres, or 24 seconds. Engine power and stability are key requirements here.

ÔÇ£NickÔÇÖs F1.08 is scheduled to take on a new BMW P86/8 engine with a new transmission, while Robert will be driving with the same engine and gear box as in Valencia. In the first two thirds of the season we didnÔÇÖt have a single retirement caused by any technical fault. We aim to maintain this high level of reliability. On the sporting side, we plan to improve further and see both cars finish solidly in the points at Spa.ÔÇØ

Willy Rampf, Technical Director:
ÔÇ£Spa is one of the last natural circuits remaining in the calendar and therefore ranks among the classics. Most drivers love it, and for good reason. Eau Rouge is one of the most spectacular corners in Formula One, even though the V8 engines now allow it to be taken flat-out in dry conditions. Spa demands medium downforce, comparable to Montreal. High aerodynamic efficiency is very important as you need a lot of downforce in the fast corners of the middle sector while at the same time requiring plenty of top speed for overtaking at the end of the long straights.

ÔÇ£A crucial factor will be how to exploit the tyre potential. In Spa we use the two hardest compounds, which is a challenge particularly if air temperatures are low. The weather in Spa is always a big unknown as it can turn from one moment to the next, sometimes even within individual sections of the track.ÔÇØ

History and background:
The idea of staging a race in the health resort of Spa goes back to 1920. The circuit linked up the towns of Malmedy, Stavelot and Francorchamps. In 1921 the first car race had to be cancelled as there was just one entrant. The circuit was inaugurated by motorcycles before cars made their first appearance in 1922. 1924 saw the first 24-hour race at Spa, and the first significant Formula race followed in 1925 when the European GP was hosted by the circuit.

1970 marked the final race on what was then a 14-kilometre course as the cars had become too fast for the track. The present circuit was opened in 1979. In 2003, Formula One did not come to Spa. For the 2004 event the Bus Stop chicane was modified and, after the 2005 GP, F1 again gave Spa a miss. For 2007 a new pit lane awaited and the Bus Stop section, including the pit lane approach, was modified once more.

The biggest pile-up in F1 history occurred in 1998 in the La Source hairpin just after the start, though none of the drivers was injured. To date, 40 Belgian Grands Prix have been held in Spa. A further ten took place in Zolder and two in Nivelles.

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Test in Monza - Day three
08-29-2008 Press Release
Test in Monza.

August 27th ÔÇô 29th 2008
Day three ÔÇô Friday

Weather conditions: Sunny all day.

Temperatures: Air: 23 ÔÇô 30 ??C, Track: 28 ÔÇô 42 ??C

Number of drivers participating: 10 of 10 teams

Fastest lap overall: Lewis Hamilton (McLaren-Mercedes) 1:22.967 min

Circuit length: 5,793 km

Robert Kubica
Chassis / engine: BMW Sauber F1.08-06 / BMW 86/9
Test kilometres today: 331 kms (57 laps)
Fastest lap: 1:24.089 min

Programme:
Today Robert Kubica continued to work on the setup of the BMW Sauber F1.08 with respect to the Italian Grand Prix in less than three weeks time. He tried different solutions on the aerodynamical and mechanical side as well as sampling the tyre options for the Monza race.

In the morning Kubica had an minor off. Although the car sustained only little damage to the left front the repairs were time consuming. The team continued with itÔÇÖs testing programme as scheduled after the lunch break. Alas a couple of red flags as well as a small electrical problem cutted Kubicas track time down to 57 laps.

Nevertheless with three days of testing in Monza the BMW Sauber F1 Team concluded itÔÇÖs successful preparation for the upcoming Belgian and Italian Grands Prix. Nick Heidfeld and Robert Kubica completed 1.294 kms (223 laps) in total.

What comes next:
The BMW Sauber F1 Team is now looking forward to the Belgian Grand Prix, which will be held in Spa-Francorchamps on the first weekend of September.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D1xqrdtJs8w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D1xqrdtJs8w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rnN1gjmEars&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rnN1gjmEars&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/53eOMFT6BHI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/53eOMFT6BHI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6-Hm_3fuRHY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6-Hm_3fuRHY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a3S-CX5Zb8Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a3S-CX5Zb8Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

wheels.ca: Motorcycles and scooters big polluters

Wonderings

This is much the same feeling I had when I read the Toronto Star - wheels.ca article about polluting belching two-wheelers.

Complacency has set in over the years. When I began riding pollution in the form of smog and litter were the concerns of the day. I could feel smug knowing that I was less of a polluter riding my bike because I was yield multiples better miles per gallon, the general measure of pollution volume of that day, than my cage counterparts. Little has changed since those days.

This complacency and the smiles per mile factor of riding a motorcycle lulled me into a sort of environmental sleep. In this sleep my motorcycle hunter gatherer brain was aware of things such as EU regulations, California v 49 state models, FI added primarily as pollution control instead of performance enhancement on all brands, the growing number of sensors on bikes and the appearance of catalytic converters on BMWs. Yet this information was tucked in the some dark corner of the dream rider motorcycle helmet inside my head.

The article squeezed the information out and washed it over my consciousness. As I ride away from the article I am not laughing in the same way that I did after my real life wet helmet experience.

Motorcycle industry divides itself into two main categories of light weight and heavy weight based on engine capacity. 650cc engine capacity marks the dividing line. All the current roundel models are classed as heavy weights, with the soon to be released G450 being the first light weight in some time. If the article is correct even our new light weight brother will be off the charts in pollution terms.

My Roadster falls in the heavy weight category. In city driving it continues to yield multiples in miles per gallon over the majority of cars. On the high way it is another story. A growing number of cages are challenging or even exceeding my mpg.

But the smiles for mile can not be matched. That is a value judgment made by a long time motorcyclist. The reality is there are a lot of smiles to be had flogging a 3 Series convertible around and the mpg argument for the bike may well go away if the 3 is a diesel. If I remember to put the drop top up at the end of the day I am nice and dry when I drop it the next morning.

The challenge for riders and manufacturers is where do we go from here? I still want a motorcycle nd its unique smile per mile factor. A visible mechanical thing called an engine is part of what defines the look of a motorcycle for me. How will hybrid, hydrogen powered, KERS and other things make motorcycles environmentally friendly while remaining motorcycles as we look at them?

It is not the end of the motorcycling world. The sky is not falling. It is just a little less clear than it could or will be because of what we choose for transportation. As I ride away and my consciousness dries a bit I am left wondering what will make up my future bike.

Wonderings is interesting. Lawn mowers are also very polluting. I will ride my motorcycle today instead of cutting grass.

Wonderings is interesting. Lawn mowers are also very polluting. I will ride my motorcycle today instead of cutting grass.

:rofl

I do my bit for the environment by having a very natural free range lawn also. Riding is much more fun than mowing.

:laugh

Ian for President? I like that ; )

Maybe the White House would be a fun place for an international rally!

Voni
sMiling

Back