• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

One of those days

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
My goof off Friday started with awesome sunrise.

704D5D62-80BC-4963-8275-5E6C492594EC.jpeg

My plan was taking three bikes for annual inspection and renewal of plates, a ten mile round trip each run. Then riding the German Flag 1100S to Fredericksburg for GermanFest people watching and lunch. I had returned previous Saturday from a 3000 mile solo run to NM & CO including a stop at Hotchkiss Rally and was ready to get back on a bike after a week of not breaking camp or hoteling and gearing up.

The 1100 S had a set of tires scheduled to arrive Thursday and were delayed until today, the current set is ready, I had also ordered a battery when I ordered one for a bud preparing for his CO trip. The battery in this bike was a 2016 Odyssey, but still doing its job and rotated in charger dance in our shop. I rolled out at 9:30 with a smile. Stopped at bank and the ATM decided it was a good time to shut down with my card inside! I went inside after shutting bike off and spent a bit of time getting my card back and some cash for the day. Upon gearing up, hit the starter to have lights dim on display and nada :banghead
Waited a few minutes, same result so a push start downhill looked like best plan.(my jump pack is in GSA side cases of course) Some bikes easier to mount when pushing and this one not one of them. After three tries I retreated to another wait. Luckily it had enough oomph to fire and I rode short distance to inspection station, leaving bike running and on my way home in short order. Fine, will wait on battery and tires and ride this one next week… Got on H’s 390 KTM and entertained passerby’s with my 6’1” frame on orange rocket. The inspector even chuckled when I rolled up….back to the house for the 690 big brother and my ride for the day.
7EE4EA88-0D04-4044-B58F-67AD59C49CFA.jpeg
Got it inspected, went to tax office for three stickers and off for well earned lunch. Riding the sub-500# bike after wrangling a loaded GSA for over a week brought a smile and some shenanigans. F’burg traffic already picking up for festival but my spot across street from the Pacific War Museum was winding down from lunch rush and had lunch served quickly. Had desire for some fries after eating healthier the past few weeks and tried the carnitas , red cabbage and cheese smothered treat

13731332-E16A-4A34-9C7F-A2906CA98818.jpg

Guilty but GOOD!
Headed home with plan to return Saturday for festival walk around. Rode through Luckenbach and back on road to Blanco. TXDOT doing road repairs and sections of cheese grater asphalt had me wandering in lane, then it got worse! On next smooth curve I floated across lane again :eek. Smile now gone!
My analog tire pressure alarm went off in helmet and I glanced back to see low rear… seriously? Pulled onto a shaded side road to deal with issue. Had to laugh at having a flat on a newer tire and not the one I was worried about that decided for me not to ride. Popped a plug in , aired up and back to house.
38A5ABD6-15C5-41ED-AAC4-7F4E840E28BB.jpeg

EFCA6B3C-12A5-44AB-9D09-5E5F9D9D9D2B.jpeg

EB32153A-4B93-47DE-B65F-70C6BFE3F09E.jpeg

. Now have wheel off KTM to patch internally , bodywork off of 11S( prob the most difficult model to change the battery for those who own one know) That’s when I saw the date on battery as well. :laugh

08BDB254-F109-41A9-8220-6FCB88414F3F.jpeg

BBE7A382-2B3A-4F12-AA50-FA0121765789.jpeg

Any ride a good ride, however, sometimes things just don’t go as planned. I asked H if she had been putting pins in my voodoo doll again!

Follow up, tires on and mounted, battery tomorrow. My luck continued it seems but maybe a good way. As I prepared to remove rear wheel, I did the wiggle wiggle to check pivot bearings and FD health… could lift paralever up about an inch in an odd feel. What?? The torque link I have never touched was loose at transmission! Really loose as in a few threads shy of losing the nut :eek
On this model, of course, the belly pan, Staintune exhaust mounts, and recessed outer bolt head of front mount for torque link required a thin 16 mm socket, and a tight box end for the exhaust bracket obstacle on the nut. Anyways, so glad I found that !
This bike maybe gets 600 miles a year… its fun as all get out but it’s riding position and my aging body don’t do all day anymore. That and the paint job gets me pulled over a lot! “ you weren’t doing anything wrong, just wondering what the heck is that?”
On batteries, since the oilhead charging system doesn’t do justice to the Odyssey’s preferred charging parameters, they just don’t last , though I had two to ten years as well. I know I can tweak the alternator, just rather ride it and rotate tenders. It had been cranking fine and ridden twice in the last month. I put it on big Odyssey charger and it went through all its conditioning showing good to go, will load test later, but it’s not going back under all the covering on the S

Nice summation of busy-ness, Hen'Z.

If there’s a fleet of bikes nearby, then there’s always something to deal with...

We’ve got electrical gremlins on the ’82 CS LED Clearwater lights;
gotta change my rear tire on the R90S;
after a 700 mile shakedown ride to NC, the F650 needs further attention;
und di Vespa needs new rubber in the near future. :scratch

Enjoy all your eXcursions this fall! :nod

Happy Trails whenever U can - Ciao!
HSV-Karen & HSV-Phil
USN-Ret'd —--&-— USAF-Ret’d

'09 F650GS-twin - '14 K-GT
'82 R100CS ——— '75 R90S
’08 CRF230L —--— ’09 KLX250S
'16 R1200RS —-— ’05 Vespa 200L
:beer

Nice summation of busy-ness, Hen'Z.

If there’s a fleet of bikes nearby, then there’s always something to deal with...

Yeah, then there’s H’s F650 with front end off of it doing suspension renewal and such. Parts sitting there but just haven’t finished it :whistle
Maybe tomorrow…

Back