• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MOA messed up bad in my book

I like to ride. It's fun.

You came in swinging. Not asking questions, but swinging. And, from apparently most everyone's POV, swinging with a broken bat.

Would it have been better if those who participated got more recognition for how they spent their leisure time? Maybe. From where I'm sitting, the only needed recognition is your own pride of undertaking and completing a fun trip. No cancers were cured. No mighty records were set. No lives lost. No lives saved. It was a fun ride. Nothing more. Nothing less.

It sounds like it should've been a grand vacation. I hope you took some good photos.

p.s. my vacation was better.

84333697-M.jpg

ballen262 said:
Back on post 33 this is what you had stated robnye, and now you bring up on post 171 that would of been nice to read back on post 33 instead of post 171, in my opinion.

On my first post on this thread I asked someone to help me understand why it went the way it did, someone to explain why the POA was hyped up like it was if all you wanted to do is give a sticker away.

Because like I have said already if the POA web page said that is was going to give this "LITTLE PIEACE OF RECONITION AWAY", as you stated in post 171, and only ONE award was going to be given out, you where going to give a sticker away, and it was intended to be a tour to bring two clubs together that has had issues in the past, I would of just gone to Colorado, then to vermont and spent more time off the bike seeing things more instead of rushing to the next rally, mostly the leg to vermont from colorado was the leg I wanted to do the most as I have never been back east.

Then you said this in post 171 and you quote=
"""It was never our intention to read all the names of riders who completed the tour at the closing ceremony. We did want to recognize the tour and set the stage for closer positive relations with the RA and the best way to do this was to honor the person who had the most tour miles so we could chat up the RA - MOA teamwork."""" So why was it that it was never talked about in the RA rally, or Rockies rally, neither had a booth or anything for the ones doing it to get together as you stated to meet new and old friends????

Then your quote in post 171 you said, quote=
""""Our intent was simply to give the interested rider something to do and a tiny bit of recognition (the pin) for doing the tour. IIRC there was no entry fee, this was our attempt at a little gift for the rider who attended all three events.

But in the post of yours on 33 you said this quote=
""""I am sorry all the folks who completed the POA tour were not recognized and thanked for participating. As the person who came up with the idea I would have liked it to GET MORE ATTENTION, however knowing 160 or so people enjoyed the experience is plenty.""""

So in post 33 you admit that I was only talking about recognized by a show of hands or thanked, never did I say that my name needed to be said, someone else brought that part up, I only said the POA riders needed to be recognized as a whole not name by name.
And in post 33 you say you would of liked to recognized us being the one who brought it up, and I do feel many here feel just a show of hands would of been cool, stand up, what ever, so I could of looked around me to see who I could go meet and share experience with that did the POA.

I can appreciate all who have posted here and all the friends who have come in defence both for me and ones who put on the POA or who was involved with it, but so far no one beside 1 person has been willing to call or have me call them to learn a little of why or how things work here on the MOA and why the POA was done the way it was, why their has been conflict in the past with RA and the MOA, in which why the POA was done to try and bring two organizations together that has been apart.

But in the long run robnye you did say you would of liked to acknowledged the POA people and maybe they still will be later on, only the future will tell.

I enjoyed the challenge of going on the POA, it was more of an endurance ride for me, heat and all, and being the first time ever more than 1000 miles away from home on a bike solo at that, solo was scary as hell, one mistake and it could of gone bad, same for many here, and first rally's at that, and thanks robnye for your words, but it looks like it's going to be better to talk over the phone or face to face from this point, to many on here posting over and over again in this thread I started trying to find ways to shut me up with smart azz comments.

I out, may the bashing continue. :usa :lurk

At this point...

84641332-L.gif

Dittos to Emoto's last post! Don't give a damn. This dead horse has nothing left to beat. Send this one to the dog house PLEASE!

Ballen, go for a ride! Then post on the forum for more solicited recognition.

Riding Like the Wind (without need for recognition)...

CHASMAN #12106

Black '02 K12RS
Kinghts of the Roundel #333
Life Member NRA

What do you want now, at this time, Ballen262?

With apologies to Nancy Reagan for not being able to ÔÇô Just Say No ÔÇô to posting in this thread again, I saw RobÔÇÖs name while I was saying no yesterday and caved in today read the thread again and here I am.

I have reread the thread and I am left wondering this. As the titular head of a group, or as an individual, what do you desire as an outcome at this point? I donÔÇÖt get it at this time. This is a serious question, not an attempt at bashing. Please answer as simply as possible without rehashing the rhetoric from either side, we have been side lined in that for long enough.

Before you loose your audience or the thread tell us what do you desire as an outcome at this point?

To everyone else an observation: Perhaps some of us have become jaded at hearing about someone making their first long trip away from home. I made my first bike ride to the left coast on a Honda in the 70ÔÇÖs. Perhaps we are to accustomed to hearing joyous trip reports Made It to Alaska to appreciate how unnerving it can be to make your first extended solo ride. I guess I am willing to give the guy a break on that. Perhaps there is a leson to be learned by both sides in that thread.

ballen262 said:
You would think that if you advertise and hype up the peak tour you would at lease have the ones who did do the tour as little as their was to be able to do it, and have them stand and be recognized by it.

WAAAAAAAAAAAH...I didn't get recognized. Didn't you do it for the pure joy of doing it and the self-accomplishment? If not, you'd be better off bitching about the fact that the shirt wasn't proofed before printing. I'm sure if this was an MOA sanctioned event, the Board would be upset about printing OMA rather than MOA.

And, in case you didn't notice, it was pouring out. The ceremonies were pared down to minimum. They usually are a LOT longer and there is a lot more recognizing of people. The mileage/age/et al awards are a tradition that the powers that be felt should be presented despite the rain.

BMWGypsy said:
WAAAAAAAAAAAH...I didn't get recognized. Didn't you do it for the pure joy of doing it and the self-accomplishment? If not, you'd be better off bitching about the fact that the shirt wasn't proofed before printing. I'm sure if this was an MOA sanctioned event, the Board would be upset about printing OMA rather than MOA.

The shirt said "OMA"? Where?

knary said:
The shirt said "OMA"? Where?

Must confess, I didn't actually see it, but was told it had OMA rather than MOA as the third location on it.

'course, if you look at the MOA pin, it says Burilngton, rather than Burlington. Colector's item :)

Emoto said:
Ehomo, I am already two steps in the forward direction on this buddy, but do appreciate your helping me out, I have forward my thoughts onto the proper authorities.

And go take a road trip, looks like you need it with as much response I have had from you on this thread, but do appreciate your honesty.

Oh wait, looks like I need one too. :stick

M1ka said:
With apologies to Nancy Reagan for not being able to ÔÇô Just Say No ÔÇô to posting in this thread again, I saw RobÔÇÖs name while I was saying no yesterday and caved in today read the thread again and here I am.

I have reread the thread and I am left wondering this. As the titular head of a group, or as an individual, what do you desire as an outcome at this point? I donÔÇÖt get it at this time. This is a serious question, not an attempt at bashing. Please answer as simply as possible without rehashing the rhetoric from either side, we have been side lined in that for long enough.
OK well if ya must know, here it is where I am coming from that I do believe tons of you may like.

I don't believe we should let the POA fade away, lets look at what POA stands for.

Peak Of America tour.

Isn't this the reason we ride bikes, this peak tour was cool as hell, (besides the closing ceremonies and no one asked me to come to the stage and brag about it) :D

But I don't want the tour to die, I feel its something we should continue to have in the future, I believe very strongly that it can bring riders from all over young and old and this entire sport to a higher level.
As I was doing this tour tons of thoughts crossed my mind about future rallies, then when I didnt see alot of attention to this rally it really did suck.

Rallies are for coming together in one place, what we do in-between is the key issue to bring younger age groups into the sport.

Why??????? did only 160 pull off the POA???????

Another thought, we do this Iron butt tour, plus I hear of some others, but I have some ideas that I feel would make the MOA rally really increase in size, and even make them more enticing to be their, besides just getting a chance to win a free bike and some free stuff,,, and all the other stuff rallies bring.

I don't know, but I was taken in by the words given to the tour I did

"Peaks of America"
I can see something very big in the future for this type of tour, if given a chance to play out.

Bradfordben knows of what I am talking about and if he would like to elaborate on what am talking about go for it.

ballen262 said:
Bradfordben knows of what I am talking about and if he would like to elaborate on what am talking about go for it.

Yup, KBasa and I even spoke of it tonight, there are some good ideas coming out. More details to follow but Ballen came up with a pretty unique idea to encourage more riding.
:clap

I'm sorry but.......

ballen262 said:
But I do know I dont need to pay a yearly fee to MOA and be apart of an organization that cant even take the time to recognize the ones who took 3 plus weeks, money, time away from family, time from work, to do a """""""ONCE IN A LIFETIME HYPED UP TRY AND GET PEOPLE TO MORE RALLYS TO GET YOU TO SPEND MONEY"""""
If all they said in the advertisement to this peak tour was to just get a pin, and that is it, then I would be ok with it

I would suggest to Mr. Ballen that he take his great exploits over to the LDRider list and post his great accomplishment of "X" thousand miles in 3 weeks and I imagine he will get all the recognition he desires for this feat.

Sarcasm off....
I enjoy signing up each year for one of the AMA Grand Tours that various organizations put on. The one I enjoyed most was the "I've Been Everywhere" tour put on by TeamStrange Airheads where you go to cities named in that oldies song. Others have included cities named after presidents, places named in the Bible, cities in the US named after European cities, smallest town in a state, etc. These are fun and challenging, and allow a rider to do as much above the minimum as desired. They are great to allow a rider to structure road trips to include some out-of-the-way destinations that might not otherwise be a part of your travels and see some things you might overlook otherwise.

The recognition? Usually a pin... perhaps a T-shirt..the "rally flag" to hang on your garage wall.. perhaps a drawing for some door prizes for finishers (I "won" a set of screwdrivers one year)... maybe your name on a website.

The satisfaction of finishing the minimum requirements and the memories of the various rides is worth the nominal entrance fee for these "Grand Tours". I don't think Ballen really "gets it" yet, but perhaps in the future he will. To borrow a tired cliche... its not the destination (or recognition) its the journey.

PS: I have "killed" many threads I have posted to. Hopefully I am on a roll and this thread will die with my post. Keeping my fingers crossed....

BradfordBenn said:
Yup, KBasa and I even spoke of it tonight, there are some good ideas coming out. More details to follow but Ballen came up with a pretty unique idea to encourage more riding.
:clap
but don't tell everyone yet exactly what I proposed, better to talk about it with the directors first and get it looked at by the higher ups.

I am ready to push the selling part of it brad, so keep me posted.

Okay so I live in the state of confusion most of my life and post 194 did not do much to answer my question. Post 196 tells me there is some talking going on where it could do some good. In the end that is the outcome I would seek.

Good luck to all and a good night.

ballen262 said:
Ehomo, I am already two steps in the forward direction on this buddy, but do appreciate your helping me out, I have forward my thoughts onto the proper authorities.

And go take a road trip, looks like you need it with as much response I have had from you on this thread, but do appreciate your honesty.

Oh wait, looks like I need one too. :stick

76726063-L.jpg

And to think I took it easy on you out of an apparently misguided desire to be nice to a fellow club member. :brow

Back