• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Airhead RT Farkles ?

Dave, that was my original complaint with the seat I sent back. 5 months, nothing done, except "we will do a custom seat for $400 more, And, that would have been done a pan that didn't even sit right on the bike frame.
St.

An ill-fitting seat pan is my biggest complaint with Corbin. When I got my RT back in 04, it came with a Corbin. It looked good, but never sat properly on the bike. The paint is worn away where the seat was rubbing up against the seat cowl and on the right side where it rubbed up against the battery cover as well, when open. The Corbin never really opened and closed properly, and was a royal PITA to remove and replace. I eventually purchased a good used BMW seat pan to have a custom seat made; however, I never found someone locally and I was unable to do ride to one of the better seat makers. So, I purchased a good used BMW seat that fits much better. I find the stock BMW seat to be as comfortable as the Corbin, so I don't see the big draw towards the Corbin. Of course, the big question now is what to do with a 30 to 35-year old Corbin seat in fair condition.

Common upgrades are Katdash for the instrument cluster, LED tail light inserts, H4 LED headlight, heated grips, good rear shock, and a good GPS or phone mount to get you back on track while you wander.

If you can find a set, the flip-out authority lights and the lever mechanism. They replace the fairing grills and operate with levers you push and pull to open and close the light housing. Just make sure to rip out all the complex wiring and remove the relays. The lights are triggered by a momentary switch inside the fairing. Replace the stock bulb with an H1 LED and use the momentary switch as an on/off. Push the lever forward, light on, pull back, and light off.

Make great driving lights.

Also, remove the standard emission system. the pipe running from the front of each head back to the airbox, the fuel cutoff relays and wiring inside the starter cover, and the big shiny valves inside the air box. Use two timing plugs and a pair of R1100 drain plugs to plug the holes. The engine doesn't run as hot, the valves last longer, and you can rejet the carbs for better mileage.

If the clutch pull is on the hard side, consider the clutch pulley upgrade... It reduces the effort by half; some customers tell me their bike now shifts like a Honda..and more than a few older riders with arthritic or injured left hands can keep on riding using two fingers for the clutch. I average 1 to 2 installations a month.

Last edited:
Back