• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

First trip to the Tail of the Dragon - Wow

Same thing with Resolve. The rabbit hole goes so deep when you get into video; there are just so many ways to do things and so many different functions and features of a modern video editor, it's just a "wow" as you start to wade in. Gives you a heck of an appreciation for what they do in Hollywood every day, it's not nearly as easy one might expect.

Just to give an example, when you want to go from one clip to another, it's called (in Resolve anyway), a transition. Most people think of it as a fade out/in.

OK, which transition, there are 100 of them. Wipes; shapes, iris, fade, fade to color.
Now, out of the 100 options, we pick a simple wipe.
Then the next option blizzard.
How fast; which direction, a linear speed or should it speed up/down as it plays? Oh, none of those? OK, here's a graph, draw the curve you'd like for how the transition should come in and out. What color should we use? Want to fade the edge of the transition? How much?
Oh, you have text up? Should that transition too? Same transition or should we run 2 at the same time.
Oh, there's an audio track? How would you like to transition that? At the same time as the video transition? Want to mix another track in?

It's just like "OMG". I just wanted to put two files together please!!
LOL. It seems like I spent as much time editing ( and learning ) as I spent on the trip.

Doug

It was actually a Sunday, but I have absolutely no question that you're right. It's all yours in June! I do most of my riding from around September to May; when it gets hot, I typically put the bike up. I can always put on more clothes, but there's only so little you can wear before you get arrested for riding in your boxer shorts. I hate riding when it's 85+, especially roads like The Dragon that are technical; I would have been dripping sweat by the time I finished, just not my idea of a good time; I'm very thankful that most people don't like to ride in the cold!
Being from Florida I am acclimated to hot temperatures and high humidity and I do ride all 12 months. Once in a while someone will ask me if it's "too hot in that gear". My replies vary from "Yes, but not hot enough to remove the pleasure of riding" to "Yes, but I can take a shower after the ride instead of looking forward to skin grafts." I usually make three trips a year to the Appalachians. March or April, mid summer, again in October. Even in mid summer the mornings and afternoons are fairly cool at elevation and pack the heated gear the other times. One trip in early March I crossed the Dragon in 25F and rode 350 miles and saw only 1 motorcycle besides myself all day.

Most of the time anymore I avoid the Dragon just because of the traffic and race track mentality but sometimes I'm with a group that wants to go or I want to go over and ride roads south of Tellico Plains. In that case it's cross it early AM on a weekday or late afternoon. The Dragon is the draw but there are many, many great roads in that entire area of GA/NC/TN/VA/WV that rival it and have little traffic.

Hustling a big bike in that area is actually a lot of work, for me anyway.
Sadly, many riders push just a tiny bit too hard and crash.
What can we learn from this?

When people comment on my riding gear in hot weather I usually just reply that I would rather sweat than bleed.

Back