• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MOA messed up bad in my book

B

ballen262

Moa Messed Up Bad On This One For Me

New to this 4m, and very first rally for me at age 36, second year owner of a 02 r1150rt, and when I heard of the Peak of America tour that was going to be done, I knew this was going to be great.

I will have spent so far over couple thousand dollars and lots of time away from my business doing this tour, and when I got my pin I was very excited and when I saw a high mileage award it was a no brainier that some old timer would get it, but I knew based on the reading of the information on the peak tour that the ones who did the tour would get recognized in the closing ceremonies, as I was sitting their in the stands I could not believe the individual who gave the high mileage award away did not take the time to recognize the ONLY 125 or so people that was able to do the tour.

You would think that if you advertise and hype up the peak tour you would at lease have the ones who did do the tour as little as their was to be able to do it, and have them stand and be recognized by it.

To take the time and recognize the ones who attended based on age or mileage you name it, they should of done so for the 125 or so that did the Peak Tour.

Dont get me wrong, what I did myself, solo at that, I will never forget.

But I do know I dont need to pay a yearly fee to MOA and be apart of an organization that cant even take the time to recognize the ones who took 3 plus weeks, money, time away from family, time from work, to do a """""""ONCE IN A LIFETIME HYPED UP TRY AND GET PEOPLE TO MORE RALLYS TO GET YOU TO SPEND MONEY"""""

If all they said in the advertisement to this peak tour was to just get a pin, and that is it, then I would be ok with it, but go read exactly what was advertised on the Peak tour page, and you tell me if they recognized the 125 souls at closing ceremonies, all they said was the ones who where walking around with a pin.

Please anyone please feel free to help me understand why they take the time to recognize a 5 year old who rode in with there father to the rally, call her by name, and not take the time to recognize 125 people not by name, but just have us stand up who where wearing a pin and be recognized.

DONT GET IT.

IN A YEAR OR SO FROM NOW WILL ANYONE REALLY KNOW WHAT THE PEAK OF AMERICA TOUR WAS ABOUT, I DONT THINK ANYONE WILL.
REMEMBER IT WAS A ONCE IN A LIFETIME DEAL, RIGHT. :sick

ballen262 said:
REMEMBER IT WAS A ONCE IN A LIFETIME DEAL, RIGHT. :sick

you will never do the exact same thing twice

did you enjoy it?

wish I could have done it,,,,,,

marK11LT said:
you will never do the exact same thing twice

did you enjoy it?

wish I could have done it,,,,,,
As I did say, I will never forget what I did, and the things and people I met was great, but for this one, and not being an old fart, I felt it was the one thing I would get recognized for.

I wore the pin on my hat the whole time, and not one person asked me about it, and really notice it, but I knew at closing ceremonies that once they took the time to show how many really did it 125 or so, that the pin I did wear around what it really did mean.

I did have a great time, but for certain things in life you do it for that reason you doing it for, and when someone does not do their part in recognising the one thing they hype up about on this peak tour, its people like me who needs to speak up and share how they feel.

It would of been very easy and less than a minute or so to have us stand to be recognized, its not hard at all.

I own a business, and when I dont take the time to recognize the customer I loose their business.

Same ole same ole at the awards ceremony. There's always ON.

ballen262 said:
As I did say, I will never forget what I did, and the things and people I met was great, but for this one, and not being an old fart, I felt it was the one thing I would get recognized for.

I recognize yah, and the fowrum will too

now do a ride report 15 pages 100 photos take me along....

wish I could have

ballen262 said:
I own a business, and when I dont take the time to recognize the customer I loose their business.

Sorry, but I don't see you as a customer. The POA you did was a personal achievement, something you yourself chose to do. So you spent a couple thousand and had a good time (it's called a vacation), why do you think you should be recognized for it. Put it this way, if you had known up front that you weren't going to get this "special" recognition, would you have not done it?

When people do something just for the recognition, maybe they ought to just do nothing at all.

By the way, congratulations on your achievement.

If you're in this for some sort of public recognition, you're in it for the wrong reason.

Thanks for not reading 125 more names. I'll read them in ON.

As the Awards and Tally Chair Person for the MOA Rally, I was involved in some of the ceremony. I know that one of the concerns was to keep the closing ceremony succinct. Other attendees have complained that they have gone on too long for their preferences. It is always a balancing act to meet the desires of all the people.

To me the recognition in ON will last longer then the award ceremony for an accomplishment for something such as the Peaks of America. I congratulate you on your accomplishment.

Thanks for the replies everyone so far, but I hope you all see this as not just me but for the other 125 others as well.

I only feel that I deserve what was advertised by the MOA page on the POA nothing more.

Please take the time to read every word they wrote into it, in the second to last paragraph they state more than one award for the POA, when they only gave one away.

Trust me all when I say that I will never forget what I did, and my own accomplishment, NEVER.

Nothing is perfect, but what I say does it make any difference when we go into a restaurant and knowing they serve food served the way they advertise and get nothing as advertised.

Everyone was recognized as a whole for being their, and they didn't advertise they where going to recognize everyone for being their, we just know they will thank us, what make me any different when I say the ones who did the POA should be recognized as well, especially when they advertised that they would recognize us in closing ceremonies.

out of 9000 who attended Vermont, 1000 who attended Boise, 1000 who attended Paonia, only 125 did the POA, that should be recognized more, and it wasn't.

Please dont take what I say as being mad, just affected, and hoping someone will bring some better feelings to me on this.

BradfordBenn said:
As the Awards and Tally Chair Person for the MOA Rally, I was involved in some of the ceremony. I know that one of the concerns was to keep the closing ceremony succinct. Other attendees have complained that they have gone on too long for their preferences. It is always a balancing act to meet the desires of all the people.

To me the recognition in ON will last longer then the award ceremony for an accomplishment for something such as the Peaks of America. I congratulate you on your accomplishment.

And when the ON comes out, we will see how well they do reconize the ones who did this, as well as all the others who did what they did.

vtpaul said:
If you're in this for some sort of public recognition, you're in it for the wrong reason.
Many reasons I was in this for, many, and also for what was advertised, and just because all the good I take from it, should not be used to excuse one or several for not doing as advertised.

Just want to share this one for all, I was invited to go to Nova Scotia right after this Vermont rally, but because of the time and money I took to do Boise I cant do Nova Scotia.

If I knew for a fact that all that was going to happen was a PIN and the longest mileage award then I would of only did Paonia and Vermont as I hate Boise as I been there many times, and I live in Idaho.

But I did the POA based on the hype in the POA page talking about this once in a lifetime thing, I see it now as a way to get people to the other rallys, and when they found out only 125 did the POA, it got put on the back burner, and they decided to only give away the long mileage award.

Are you sure you didn't do Nova Scotia because there was no public recognition in it?

I stand by what I said.

vtpaul said:
Are you sure you didn't do Nova Scotia because there was no public recognition in it?

I stand by what I said.
I own an auto body repair shop with a towing business with it, add up three weeks, and three weekends, and if you know business you will know that I do need to get back.

You say public recognition, I see it as when someone sees the pins that 125 got for doing what they did they say "only 125 did the POA" and he is one of them, and I wish I had been able to do that.

Instead of them looking at it and saying what was that pin for, or comments like Peaks of America tour, what was that.
REMEMBER THIS WAS A ONCE IN A LIFETIME THING.

What I am talking about vtpaul is respect for what one does, not like how your trying to make me out to be, as if I am being ignorant for myself.

I said to every vendor and person I met, "thanks for being here for me".

Its called respect, and recognizing what others do for others.

After the closing ceremonies and how I felt, all I want to do now is see my family again, my two kids that have missed me so much.

Thanks vtpaul for your constructive criticism, but I also stand by what I am saying as well. :thumb

POA Public Recognition

ballen262,

For what it's worth, I think you deserve recognition in a public manner. I hope the ON will do better at it than the closing ceremonies. I couldn't even make one of the three rallies this year, so personally I think you have really done something that I know I would have loved to do but could not for various reasons.

Another good reason to make a big deal out of the POA tour is that it was a join effort with BMW RA. You'd think that would have been a big moment for MOA and I hope it is. Compared to some other brands, our little troupe is pretty small and the two clubs should work together for the good of both, in my humble opinion.

Sincerely,
Nurse Rick :bikes

NurseRick said:
ballen262,

For what it's worth, I think you deserve recognition in a public manner. I hope the ON will do better at it than the closing ceremonies. I couldn't even make one of the three rallies this year, so personally I think you have really done something that I know I would have loved to do but could not for various reasons.

Another good reason to make a big deal out of the POA tour is that it was a join effort with BMW RA. You'd think that would have been a big moment for MOA and I hope it is. Compared to some other brands, our little troupe is pretty small and the two clubs should work together for the good of both, in my humble opinion.

Sincerely,
Nurse Rick :bikes

And again the point of "this is a once in a lifetime deal" comes out in your words Nurse rick, but not only should I have been noticed but also the other 124 or so who did take the time to follow the POA rules should of been recognized by all.

When you take the time to align all the rallies and post it on the MOA site and call it the POA, that in it self should be talked about the most as it was done from what I hear as to bring the three organizations together on common ground.

Coming together as friends different riders from different areas is what it is all about.

Answer this question, I was a solo rider to this POA wanting to meet people and the people I was sitting next to in the closing ceremonies, how many of the people sitting close to me would of wanted to talk to me and ask about my experience if they saw that I was apart of this POA, I talking people sitting several seats up or down, that normally I would of not been able to talk to had they been closer to me.

Most people will not just walk up to someone walking by and say "hey guess what I did the last three weeks" though I like too, but ya just dont do it or they would look at you as a weardo.

But any person I did meet, I shared it all with them, but who did I not be able to share it with because no one really knew about it.

Remember I wore my three pins from each rally and the POA pin on my hat the whole rally, and not one person asked about the POA pin, not one.

Thanks Nurse for your honest words.

I am headed home to Idaho, and back to my family, I will check back in with ya all when I get home, I do plan on calling the MOA, and asking why it was done this way as so that I can make my decission if I stay a member or not.
Thanks all.

The only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about.

I really can't believe how juevinile this is. Hey, look at me, hey nobody is looking, now I'm mad, hey look at me. If you did the ride as a personal challenge, then you are happy with what you've accomplished. However, I think you did the ride so that you could beat your chest and say look at me. So now you're upset that you did get that chance.

I enjoyed the rally closing, but after the long distance awards and oldest awards, I felt these categories were created just to give more awards. And frankly, from the moans around me, I think that we are getting a little carried away with awards.

But it was a great rally, and an hour for give-aways and closing remarks is long enough. I just wish that all who volunteered got to stand up and be recognized, not just the first 185 volunteers. After all, I was promised some type of recongition, and all I got was a volunteer pin.

Brian

Did you write a letter to the rally chairmen and the POA committee or is public bashing your gig?

I can appreciate your personal sense of what your tour cost you in time and money. I was not able to make the tour because of family commitments and frankly my business is not doing as well as yours is this year. I could not have afforded to take the time off, I do not have any staff to leave in charge of my one man shop. I don't have a lot of sympathy for what you spent, sorry.

I have been a member for 14 years now and have yet to be able to make a rally. I really wanted to go this year. Perhaps I will remember when I go to the Rally in WI that it is not all about me and I won't be as disappointed as you seem to be.

In good years I have been able to afford month long trips. The value of the first and all the others was in what I learned on the ride. I hope you learn to enjoy the ride.

After you stand up and sit down.....if there was some brief recognition

All you have left is great memories....

I hope after you have a chance to reflect on this, that you realize that you did this for your own personal reasons....you tested yourself...and you finished it....and you have a great feeling of accomplishment.....

That feeling is all you should ever expect from such a ride.....

And in the end, it will be what you will feel good about...

There were thousands of folks at the rally from all over the world...many who spend more $$ than you to get thereand many who spent less....and many who made longer trips than you did and certainly many who traveled shorter distances.....each in their own way they felt a sense of accomplishment...and the vast majority did not do this for any recognition....

I hope that you will only have great memories from this trip.....

And soon, you begin to get the itch....and start the planning of you next adventure....have you riden to Alaska yet??

Back