• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

mayer saddles

I have a 4 year old leather covered saddle on my 83 R100RT from Bill Mayer that I am very pleased with. I do slide a bit forward wearing synthetic riding pants ("stich or First Gear). Overall it is an extremely comfortable and well made item.

I hope that Bill Mayer holds it all together. We need as many options out there as possible, it's better for all of us if we have a choice.

I have to say that I don't make seats for a living and when I dealt with "Rocky" during a ride in fitting he was not entirely cooperative. I knew what I wanted and he really didn't want to listen so I trusted he knew what he was doing. He kind of threw up his hands and made a seat that was never comfortable. I also asked him to straighten out a seam in the pillion seat and he did so by pulling the cover back and kind of moving it but in the process stretched the leather so it never looked right on one side but that's all I could get him to do.

My advice to Bill Mayer Jr. is to simply give people a call or e-mail about the status of their issues and be nice about it.

We all have personalities, he just has an abundance of it and it effects his seat making at times. I hear from many that know and can be trusted that he has made some great seats. More of the seat market is his if he just plays nice. I would consider another Bill Mayer seat for my wife's bike if I felt he would take care of her.

Last edited:
I live pretty close to Rick and have a Rick Meyer seat on my KLR. I had factory then a Corbin and hated the Corbin. Rick custom made the seat not only for me but for a Wife as well. The rear of the seat was made wider and more comfortable for my Wife. We did a two up ride on the KLR to a Rally outside of Eugene Oregon. The Seat is fantastic. I purchased a 2003 1150RT and it came with a Bill Meyer seat. The work done by Rick is superior. The stitching is better and the overall look is nicer. If I did not have the Bill Meyer seat already I would have Rick make one for me.

I am fortunate enough to live close and did a ride in. I am also close to Russel Day long and I visited their office before I decided on Rick. I didn't care for the Russel because of how they constructed theirs. I can't speak on the quality of the Russel seat because I have no experience with theirs. I have 24k plus miles on my Rick Meyer seat and it's as good now as it was new.

I have nothing but great things to say about Rick. We are not personal friends but I have however ran into him around town on occasion. He is a regular guy with a great business.

Mike Brockman

After 64 posts and 5400+ views. I am sliding this over to Gear...after all it is about bike equipment :brow

I got a russell daylong saddle for my r1200rt. It's outstanding. I basically forgot about it. The stock seat wouldn't let me forget about it. Communications was good and the seat looks great (to me). I would go with russell again. If comfort is your goal, that's the way to go.

I hear that a lot, but this was not the case with mine. My foot would fall asleep on the Russell seat. It just didn't work for me. It must be the shape of the seat cut off circulation in my leg. I wanted it to work but it just didn't for me.

Harry

Well, my rick mayer saddle came in on friday. The quality of the seat was very good and looked awesome. The seat had a build date of January 30th and shipped on February 5th and I got it on the 10th. California to New Hampshire. Of course the seat fit the bike perfect. Because we have no snow in NH, I was able to go for a 50 mile ride and the seat was awesome. I call or e-mail Rick 5 times over the process of ordering the seat and he returned everyone of them in a timley manor. So the bottom line is, based off my experience and my 50 mile ride, I would recommend the Rick Meyer saddle to anyone. I will update my review after i do a much longer ride.

scott

Well, my rick mayer saddle came in on friday. The quality of the seat was very good and looked awesome. The seat had a build date of January 30th and shipped on February 5th and I got it on the 10th. California to New Hampshire. Of course the seat fit the bike perfect. Because we have no snow in NH, I was able to go for a 50 mile ride and the seat was awesome. I call or e-mail Rick 5 times over the process of ordering the seat and he returned everyone of them in a timley manor. So the bottom line is, based off my experience and my 50 mile ride, I would recommend the Rick Meyer saddle to anyone. I will update my review after i do a much longer ride.

scott
Thanks for that update. Leaning towards letting Rick do my seat.

Major Opps!

I received my seat from Bill Mayer recently. I'm satisfied with it. On the road now I never give my backside a second thought. I can't say that about riding on the OEM seat. Bill took a bit longer than I expected to finish it, but it wasn't a terribly long wait.

I just realized I inadvertently stated my seat was made my Bill. That is not true. This most recent seat was the handiwork of Rick Mayer. The rest of my post is true. I am completely satisfied with the seat and recommend Rick Mayer to others who are considering an upgrade.
Sorry for the blunder.

Corbin - break-in

after 1500 continual miles you"ll never go back. i took a 6900 mile trip a few years back and the first 4 of 17 days i had a sore butt...after that and every mile since the seat was a dream. On a Goldwing at the time...:dance

Good words about old Corbins

I have two from the late 80's. When I bought my used K75 a number of years ago, it wore a Corbin "gunfighter" solo saddle. My wife asked where she would sit? I called the guy I bought the bike from and he had a friend with a dual Corbin for sale, great shape, for $100. Turned out that though my wife didn't like being a passenger, the dual saddle was more comfortable for me. Had it shipped home after the bike was totalled and soon installed it on a K100. (Much more comfortable than OEM saddle on that bike.)

A couple years ago the stitching started to rip, hardly unreasonable after 23 years. Another $100 got the material replaced and restitched locally. My butt is still happy in that old saddle.

Sorry to hear the bad comments about Corbin's more recent products and service. If you buy an older bike with a Corbin saddle, it is quite possible you will be happy with it.

Back