• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

mayer saddles

Prior to closing my sale, BMS was outwardly friendly and helpful.

During my ride-in fitting, I found him loud, over-bearing, and obnoxious.

He insisted on doing things "HIS way", and blatantly ignored my inputs - like, the rear of the pocket needed to be moved a bit more to the rear, and a little deeper (for my bones) & wider (so I could wriggle around a little).
He actually had the balls to tell me outright that I needed bar risers to change my posture and riding position. BS, Jack.
At the end of my alloted time slot, he was eager to push me out so he could move on to the next ride-in appointment.

After the sale, he refused to return my repeated attempts to contact him for the promised one-time touch-up, or the repair of a seam that was separating.

I went to Cee Bailey's, and had them re-do "Rocky's" crap build into their "full custom upgrade" with a gel pad. Wonderful people, and the seat is great - all day is no problem. They are worthy of my repeat business.

I've talked to a lot of folks around the Rock Store and Newcomb's Ranch who have had experiences similar to mine. If you have a standard rear end and want a standard seat, maybe his will work for you; but he's never getting my money ever again. I would consider Rick, since they build - and do business - differently.

I had a Russel Day-Long a while ago, just before their dad died - I had to send it back three times before they actually did what I told them to do to make it fit me. It finally came back right, and again, all day was no problem.

Every Corbin I ever sat on was much too hard on my seatbones.
I've sat on a couple of Seargents, and they were too hard also, but I've never ridden on one.

Bill is the one that I was thinking of, I have heard a lot of negative comments about him, I just forgot which Mayer it was, now I remember. Down to 2, Rick Mayer or russell day long, unless some has other suggestions, like see bailey, I am all ears. Thanks.

Scott

Rick Mayer Seats

I have a Rick Mayer seat on my 2004 1150r and have had no complaints since the day I put it on in 2004.
I had to send him my info and seat pan and a few weeks later I got my new seat.
I had a Rick Mayer seat on an older K75rt that Rick did the measuring at the Midland rally (that bike was totalled in 2004 and the seat was toast).
I have put 90,000 miles on my 1150r with the Mayer seat and Never had a sore butt.
LITERALLY, as I mentioned to Rick, the seat has "saved my ass"!!!

Any others use the Kontour? I saw the one person recommend it, looks interesting, not a "custom shape", but supposed to mold to everyman.

I wonder why;

after all the motorcycle events I have attended , ogled many different types and styles of bikes, looked at all the seats , I have never actually seen on of those Konture seats ??

Just makes me curious , who actually has one ??

I'm having my seat redone by Rick, not great on answering the phone during posted hours or returning phone calls, hope when I get it back, I hope it's perfect so that I don't have to wait for a return call.

I'm having my seat redone by Rick, not great on answering the phone during posted hours or returning phone calls, hope when I get it back, I hope it's perfect so that I don't have to wait for a return call.

I had a similar experience. The seat took almost two months more than stated and the follow through with customer service left much to be desired. That said, I've had the seat for a while now and it is great!

Easy :lurk

I hope that when I get my seat, I will be able to say what you have said, "was worth the trouble". Have you figured out how or why you can have a drive in appointment and ride out on a new saddle in a couple of hours, but when you send in your seat and he gets it, it takes weeks or longer to get back?

I hope that when I get my seat, I will be able to say what you have said, "was worth the trouble". Have you figured out how or why you can have a drive in appointment and ride out on a new saddle in a couple of hours actually, i think its a bit more than 2 or 3 hours to be completed, but when you send in your seat and he gets it, it takes weeks or longer to get back?

maybe because Rick schedules out the time for you to come in, and because you are there waiting, nothing else gets placed in front of you on the "assembly line"?

I have had a great seat and excellent customer service from Bill Mayer Saddles.

Rich's has a very good reputation, never heard a negative about his saddles. Unlike the Mayer boys, he never shows up at rallies, nor does he ever offer door prizes.

I had an R1100RT seat done by Rick Mayer and I loved it. Currently have a Russell Day Long on my current R11RT and I like this one a lot too. The Mayer seat was more "cushy" than the RDL but they have both been confortable. If this matters to you the looks of both seats are quite a bit different. Personally I find the Rick Mayer seats to be much more attractive. The RDL seats are bigger, wider and more industrial. Take a look at photos at both sites. Your choice.

Rich's has a very good reputation, never heard a negative about his saddles. Unlike the Mayer boys, he never shows up at rallies, nor does he ever offer door prizes.

He does a booth at the Abbotsford Bike Show up here in BC. I should check him out this year. His shop would be two hours across the line from here so it makes sense especially if you want a custom fit. I've held off on such big ticket items but my current 00 RT is looking like a keeper so maybe it's time to splurge on a good seat!

I have one of those BMW "Comfort" seats. They definitely got the name wrong... :laugh

tried most of them but:

I can't see ever buying anything but a Russel. Put one on my GS and transformed it into a high mileage tourer. Two up. No pain. My wife who has only been comfortable on an LT seat previously (except the Mustang on a Harley), absolutely loves it.

Liked it so much on the GS, had one built for my /6. It is even more comfortable than the GS seat.

I can't see ever buying anything but a Russel. Put one on my GS and transformed it into a high mileage tourer. Two up. No pain. My wife who has only been comfortable on an LT seat previously (except the Mustang on a Harley), absolutely loves it.

Liked it so much on the GS, had one built for my /6. It is even more comfortable than the GS seat.

to each his own.

what with the looks of the RDl, i could never "see" one on any of my bikes, regardless of the comfort factor.

to each his own.

what with the looks of the RDl, i could never "see" one on any of my bikes, regardless of the comfort factor.

+1...if I wanted a John Deere seat, I woulda bought a tractor. :whistle

Just jesting, but I do think that some styles of seats just don't look right on certain bikes. An RDL style tractor seat is certainly uber comfy, but would look uber goofy on an 11S for example. :dance

If I owned an RT or an LT, I'd be singin' a different tune. And I'd also mention my RMS on my 11S is plenty comfy but still allows freedom of positioning. :wave

Cheers!

Helen's RMS on her 11S is also workable for me :thumb

A buddy bought a K13GT with a Day Long on it...Looked odd on the bike, I didn't care for the locked in one position when I rode it...too each his/her own on saddle choices...BTW, he rode out to Rocky M and had one built, selling the DL...he said his tail section sent him a "thank you" note after the ride back to TX!:rofl

Back