• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

mayer saddles

ugly seats

I agree the Russel isn't exceedingly beautiful to look at, kind of wierd actually,
but I can't see it when I am sitting on it.

Funny thing about seats. A Seargant which was extreemly comfy on my 04 RT just wasn't comfy on my 09 GS, but they were great because they took it back with no problems.

I had a Russell seat on my V Strom and loved it. Definitely ended the saddle pain I previously had. It was not what you would call pretty but it did not harm the looks of a V Strom. Now waiting on the build of another Day-long for my R1100RT. Great folks to work with and I have found them to be very responsive to calls/questions. Good luck on your decision.

Funny how my tastes in seats have changed in 25 years. 25 years ago the RDL was just plain ugly. Now they look like things of beauty. Maybe it's maturity or maybe I'm just getting old. :dunno

just took delivery of a Sargent for my R12GSA and I must say that i'm very happy with it. Love the way it cradles me and puts me "in" the bike instead of "on" it.

Bill Mayer

I have ridden in twice to Ojai from Boerne, TX for two different bikes, 06R1200RT and K1200GT. Saw Bill at Johnson City MOA and told him that somewhere during the return from his shop my ass snuck off and mailed me a thank you note. Nice gesture. Sold the bike with 66k and the seat was still great.

For my 2nd seat 6 years later, his same main man was still there, and he fine tuned it after a test ride and put in a little to much slope into it and it was pushing me forward. Saw Bill in Bend at the MOA, he took photos, I mailed it to him and had it back in @ 10 days.

Russell bought the patent rights for the 'Day Long' from their Father, spring technology.

If you can't ride in and have the seat "custom" fitted to you, why pay the price of a "custom" seat?
If your stock seat is close, find a local auto upholstery guy and tell him what you want. I'll bet he can get it pretty close, and not cost you $500+.
I bought a "custom" seat from Bill Mayer. I sent it back three times, at my expense, and it never was much better than the stock. Better yes, but not for the money.

Going with Rick

Once winter settles in I'm sending my seat to Rick Mayer. For $319 for vinyl plus a 10% discount for us MOA members its hard to beat the price. Leather is $200 more and from what I'm found during research I'm not convinced that is worth it.
Randy

Thanks for all the good replies, I am sending my seat out tomorrow, I talked to Rick and he said it will done early January, which is no problem because I have a sergent seat, which will be for sale as soon as I get my new one back. I will give a report when I get a chance to try it out. I will also let you know how the service was.

Scott

So i sent my seat out today, I have called Rick 3 times in the last 3 days and he returned all 3 calls and was very pleasent, so far so good!

Scott

I had a Rick Meyer on my '04RT and had it replaced with a Day Long and never looked back. The Russell may look like a tractor seat but you just can't beat it. I costs a bit more but hey....

That said Rick is still a great guy and his seat is better than factory and wayyyy better than Corbin.

just picked up a spare stock heated seat on ebay for 50 bucks for my 2011 RT. Plan to use it while I send out my original seat to Russell for a build up. I weigh in at 240 and I am having the seat built to accomodate my weight. I am looking forward to feeling the difference that everyone is talking about.

Monies owed in this economy

I don't post very often, and I'm not sure this is the right spot-but I just searched under my name and hit "reply".

I am guilty this past year of taking longer than promised to return pan deposits.

Some folks have been more patient than others, and I don't blame folks for being angry.

No-one has ever, to my knowledge been denied their refund due, though more than I care to admit have had to wait longer than expected.

I have been an active member of this club for many years as indicated by my MOA # (13632). My father had, I believe a 3 digit #. AAR, I have always been honest with customers and would never attempt to defraud anyone in the club or for that matter any customer.

Recently, a customer whose deposit is, as of today 14 days late based on our stated policy of returning deposits within 30 days ( I received his stock seats back on 11/6) has threatened me personally and on this forum to "go public" with my "fraudulent and criminal practices" regarding the return of his deposit.

I would like to just go on record and say that this statement is untrue, and slanderous and does not foster any positive spirit. This customer feels that he needs to "teach me a lesson" and has claimed to "write letters to his extensive list of riding buddies". I am acutely aware of the names on the list of those owed deposits, it is a short list, but I view it daily. I can recite the names by heart and often review that list in my mind as I try to sleep. Perhaps I am guilty of not communicating more effectively with "updates" when deposits run past due-but I devote most of my time to the building of saddles.

I realize some companies routinely engage in deceptive and criminal practices and if not for the public outcry, do not as a practice take care of their customers.
I can assure you, my company is not and should not be mistaken for one of those.

My company, as many others will attest to are, today, greatly challenged by the chronic and prolonged downturn in the economy in general, and "discretionary" spending in particular. Admittedly, as important as a comfortable saddle can be, it is not considered a critical component to many.

Taking complaints to the public forum, however only serves to polarize the public and create an atmosphere of worry and doubt that invariably spills over and effects all vendors-this attitude will and does drive customers away and further compounds the problems all of us vendors face-many in the business have either closed, or greatly reduced their product line.

So-we trim the budget here, and there, lower prices, cut corners, reduce staff, everything we can. Our level of service, however is expected to remain unaffected and at a high level.

This is rambling, I know, but I just want the group to know that I will continue to do the best I can in every direction, with the resources I have, and no one, I repeat, no one will be cheated in the process.

Those of you that have had to wait for monies to be returned, I apologize.
Those of you that will in the future wait longer than expected for monies to be returned, I apologize in advance.

Thank you all for your great support, and I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and a very safe and prosperous New Year.

Rick Mayer

I don't post very often, and I'm not sure this is the right spot-but I just searched under my name and hit "reply".

I am guilty this past year of taking longer than promised to return pan deposits.

Some folks have been more patient than others, and I don't blame folks for being angry.

No-one has ever, to my knowledge been denied their refund due, though more than I care to admit have had to wait longer than expected.

I have been an active member of this club for many years as indicated by my MOA # (13632). My father had, I believe a 3 digit #. AAR, I have always been honest with customers and would never attempt to defraud anyone in the club or for that matter any customer.

Recently, a customer whose deposit is, as of today 14 days late based on our stated policy of returning deposits within 30 days ( I received his stock seats back on 11/6) has threatened me personally and on this forum to "go public" with my "fraudulent and criminal practices" regarding the return of his deposit.

I would like to just go on record and say that this statement is untrue, and slanderous and does not foster any positive spirit. This customer feels that he needs to "teach me a lesson" and has claimed to "write letters to his extensive list of riding buddies". I am acutely aware of the names on the list of those owed deposits, it is a short list, but I view it daily. I can recite the names by heart and often review that list in my mind as I try to sleep. Perhaps I am guilty of not communicating more effectively with "updates" when deposits run past due-but I devote most of my time to the building of saddles.

I realize some companies routinely engage in deceptive and criminal practices and if not for the public outcry, do not as a practice take care of their customers.
I can assure you, my company is not and should not be mistaken for one of those.

My company, as many others will attest to are, today, greatly challenged by the chronic and prolonged downturn in the economy in general, and "discretionary" spending in particular. Admittedly, as important as a comfortable saddle can be, it is not considered a critical component to many.

Taking complaints to the public forum, however only serves to polarize the public and create an atmosphere of worry and doubt that invariably spills over and effects all vendors-this attitude will and does drive customers away and further compounds the problems all of us vendors face-many in the business have either closed, or greatly reduced their product line.

So-we trim the budget here, and there, lower prices, cut corners, reduce staff, everything we can. Our level of service, however is expected to remain unaffected and at a high level.

This is rambling, I know, but I just want the group to know that I will continue to do the best I can in every direction, with the resources I have, and no one, I repeat, no one will be cheated in the process.

Those of you that have had to wait for monies to be returned, I apologize.
Those of you that will in the future wait longer than expected for monies to be returned, I apologize in advance.

Thank you all for your great support, and I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and a very safe and prosperous New Year.

Rick Mayer

One of the reasons I went with Sargent three weeks ago. After reading others complaints about delays and talking to Rick on the phone I just did not want to go through a frustrating experiance with him. He sounded like a nice guy on the phone and I have never heard of anyone unhappy with his product. Still sending your seat pan to him and waiting for your seat to be made or delayed with all the downtime of your motorcycle can be very frustrating. Several of the guys on the WR250R forum report six plus weeks delayed from promissed date.

Now following my complaints with something positive: Rick you need to supply your own pans. This would prevent all this delay and downtime. We could keep or sell our old seats to help recap the extra cost. I have done this three times. Twice with BMW Comfort Seats and once with my new WR250R (Sargent). It took Sargent three days to build me a new seat from scratch and three days for shipping via Fed Ex for a cost of $351 (5% discount and free shipping) No down time and I have been offered $100 for my old seat. I am keeping it for extreme enduro rides.

Sorry to ramble on Rick but the word is getting around about your delays and slow deposit returns. Bottom line is you have to run a business like a business and not on promises when peoples money is involved. In other words don't take the deposits if you can not produce the product on time.

Jack

Seriously?

Merry Christmas Rick, and a prosperous New Year to you and your family.

Helen say's to say "hi" and she's a very happy repeat customer and has another bike .

To Rick ....

I am not a customer, but do wish you well.

Seems to me you do not place deposits in a separate bank account. If you did, there would be money to send back without any delay.

Don't know about your local bankruptcy laws, but believe you may be in that position if you lack funds to return deposits.

I have a friend whose restaurant failed. He went bankrupt, lost his house, terrible experience.

Take care.

Now following my complaints with something positive: Rick you need to supply your own pans. This would prevent all this delay and downtime. We could keep or sell our old seats to help recap the extra cost.
Jack

I doubt the next customer would be as understandable as you when Rick or any other seat rebuilder had to charge for and factor in the cost of inventorying seat pans for hundreds of different models.
There's not that much money in the business to make it worthwhile.
Everyone has a choice, send your seat out and wait for it to return or buy one off the shelf.

"Recently, a customer whose deposit is, as of today 14 days late based on our stated policy of returning deposits within 30 days ......"

Those of you that have had to wait (longer than the 30 days PROMISED)for monies to be returned, I apologize.
Those of you that will in the future wait longer than expected (longer than the 30 days PROMISED) for monies to be returned, I apologize in advance.

Rick Mayer

With a business attitude like that, I can see why customers would be upset. If you must apologize in advance for not keeping future promises (stated policy), what good are your promises (stated policy)??

I used to work for someone that would promise customers parts or delivery dates that he KNEW he couldn't keep. I quit. I couldn't keep lying to those people.

Pay the people you owe on time and you won't have to defend yourself about these complaints (like the ones in other recent threads)!

Sounds like you make a great product, BUT...............

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
I don't have a dog in this fight. But I am in the market to upgrade my seat and Rick in on the short list of possibilites.

Rick, if you need more than 30 days, try changing your offer to a longer time. If you can finish FASTER than promised, your customers will be very positive. If you need 60 days on average, make that your offer. Advertise your worst case time frame, and beat it.

I went out and bought a used seat from beemer boneyard, so I won't be down while my seat is worked on.

Best!

I don't have a dog in this fight. But I am in the market to upgrade my seat and Rick in on the short list of possibilites.

Rick, if you need more than 30 days, try changing your offer to a longer time. If you can finish FASTER than promised, your customers will be very positive. If you need 60 days on average, make that your offer. Advertise your worst case time frame, and beat it.

I went out and bought a used seat from beemer boneyard, so I won't be down while my seat is worked on.

Best!

Dave's right. I bought one of your seats, and yes, it took longer than promised to get, but the ride I got from that seat, was well worth the wait. You can compete with anybody on quality, fit, and comfort. Don't shoot yourself in the foot by making promises you might not be able to keep. I'd have still bought your seat, even if you'd told me 90 days. I figure if its worth having, its worth waiting for. Maybe you could start building an inventory of rental seats for your most popular models. You send a rental; they send their seat.

Tom

Back