• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Market hunting deer

How many deer vehicle accidents do we need to have before it becomes important?

Here in Michigan they publish a number closer to 45,000 for the annual deer/vehicle accident total. Typically there are a handful of fatalities and they are usually riders.

If someone was to monetize the cost of vehicle damage, law enforcement dollars documenting these accidents, work time lost getting your vehicle and/or yourself repaired and lost deer hunting activities it would be significant.

It makes you wonder when you hear about all this work being done to develop driver-less cars to reduce accidents and the AMA beating the drum on Ethanol. Reducing deer vehicle accidents doesn't get a mention.

If $3,000.00 in total cost - vehicle damage+law enforcement time+lost work time+lost hunting opportunities+ cleaning up the highway time= total cost of $135,000,000.00 per year (in Michigan). Who knows what the real number is.

Federal dollars are available to reduce animal mortality through the Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP). TAP dollars are also used for non-motorized trails, historic preservation and some other things. While I don't have specific knowledge of what dollars were used I would bet that Florida used that pot of money to put what I call wildlife fences up on much of US 10 west of Tallahassee. They are 10 feet high and you don't see any roadkill on that section of highway. One of the reasons I take that route into Florida. North of Orlando on I-75 you may notice an overpass with trees growing out of it. It is an animal overpass - not a vehicle overpass. You also see these in the Canadian Rockies along with tunnels under the highway. We should have motorcycle advocacy groups acknowledging their efforts to make their roads safer for motorcycling and encouraging their members to spend their time and vacation dollars in those locations. Moreover, if I knew who to write a letter to in Florida or Bnaff I would.

You can't fund wildlife fences, over/underpasses everywhere but you could be doing some of that each year to reduce the money we are spending on the problem. Wouldn't it be nice to know where the roads are that have been treated to reduce vehicle/deer accidents when your doing your trip planning. When I see new highway construction taking place and they install a new four foot fence (cattle fence) I just shake my head. What would the incremental cost be for a wildlife fence? Maybe someone feels good about not having a lot of vehicle/cattle accidents.

I don't think the insurance companies are motivated to press on the issue because they make their mark up on your extra comprehensive coverage that the present system encourages. The law enforcement people don't have any leverage on what highway projects are selected by their state departments of transportation. And - we have any number of supporters for the driver-less car concept looking at the opportunities for selling new hardware and the AMA will be using their efforts to fend off E-15.

Its easy to get angry about this when you have lost friends to deer/motorcycle accidents.

To end this on a personal note my lifelong riding buddy (since 1967) was taken out by a deer while we were riding south of Winnipeg. Broke both arms and both legs but today he is OK - but not riding. If you need to get screwed together we highly endorse the hospital in Grand Forks, ND. Lastly, if your a guy, there are a couple very important things that you can't do with two broken arms. Real important things.

Wayne Koppa
#71,449

In case anyone is interested in seeing an animal crossover bridge. Here's one from the Banff, Alberta area.

Attachments

• Animal crossing.jpg
    Animal crossing.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 133
Smoked one last night near BlackDuck MN but in our Honda CRV. Right at dusk and at the very outskirts of town entering a 45 zone. 2 came bailing out onto the highway, missed the first one but not the second. Long story short the deer is deceased, the Honda a mess but all are fine and will live to tell the tale.

Would not be the same story on bike but would never be driving at that time of day on a bike. It is the witching hour for deer strikes and we knew it. Had just finished talking about how lucky we were to not see any deer and that we should stop for the night.

Glad y'all are OK, sorry about the Honda.

On the same page these days aout night riding and driving in deer country if possible. Having tagged a few in trucks and two deer hits broadside to me on bikes changed my bravado not gonna happen to me attitude...it does and will.
And our whitetails are small compared to other populations. The black cow standing broadside in the middle of the road in downtown Mora,NM one night helped adjust my mindset as well.

I hit one at night in my wife's Avalon doing 75mph. Never saw it coming as it jumped up over a fence and landed on the front left headlight causing massive damage to the car. Totaled it. If I had been on my bike that night I wouldn't be here today.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I 10 corridor east of Pensacola has deer fences on either side. I've never seen a dead deer while traveling on I 10 so that's effective targeted deer strike protection. Obviously can't put it everywhere, but just an example of what local government can do when they take the problem seriously. I am an advocate of looser and cheaper hunting regulations. In certain areas where the problem is significant, a creative person might suggest placing bounties on them, subsidized by the automobile insurance industry. I assume bounties may be cheaper to pay out than collision repair. Just a thought.

Up in the Banff and Jasper area of Alberta they have constructed over passes just for the wildlife. They are quite wide and landscaped to fit the local terrain. Around our area there are several places that have large culverts for the animals to use; the rancher next door has one for his buffalo herd.

In certain areas where the problem is significant, a creative person might suggest placing bounties on them, subsidized by the automobile insurance industry. I assume bounties may be cheaper to pay out than collision repair. Just a thought.

When they opened the 85 mph tollroad SH 130 paralelling IH-35 from east of San Antone to Austin, the feral hogs that were used to the area became a huge problem...the $2 a tail bounty might have helped a bit. Have used it, but in daylight hours where line of sight is a wee bit better

http://kxan.com/2015/07/23/wild-hogs-still-a-danger-on-sh130-woman-recalls-crash/

Only things I dislike more than the white tail deer around our parts are the deer hunters. Those who trespass on private property & shoot from public roads (aka as rednecks). These deer are for sure a problem, and a big one. Instead of having several different deer seasons (black powder, bow, hunting with dogs, etc.) they just need to have several years of killing as many does as possible. If the herds continue to grow, they will eventually die out naturally by disease. However, they may destroy everything before that happens. If you don't think they are freaking destructive creatures, just plant 100 + Leland cypress trees on your property :banghead. I can remember when it was a very rare thing to see a deer in our neck of the woods, and I wish that was the case now. Oh yea, we are beginning to see wild hogs here too! Not feral pigs...I mean the real wild hog with the long teeth & nasty temperament. Great, just great.

Lots of deer problems; lots of deer threads on this forum; even a lot of solutions for major highways. (I suggest that deer over/underpasses with 10 foot fences to force them to cross safely is not just a great idea, it probably ultimately saves the tax payers money. If you live near a 4-8 lane highway that DOESN'T have this protection, you should lobby for it - though I am not sure how.

These solutions will never be economically feasible on two lane roads. The simple solution is to kill more does with an extended hunting season on them - maybe with the proviso that you must fill a doe ticket before you can shoot a buck. Almost everywhere, the laws are just the reverse - very limited doe season.

This will be a hard law to get changed. There are animal lovers who hate all hunting. There are deer hunters who want more buck deer. But unless we get more deep snow/cold winters - which certainly can kill a lot of deer and not in a very humane way - or we get a lot of disease that also kills a lot of deer, again much more painful than a bullet - I believe most of us who think about it would prefer to reduce the deer population through extended doe seasons. This is good food. Oh yeah, cattle farmers might object too.

I'm pretty pessimistic about any solution to the deer overpopulation across all of the US and Canada - except disease. That will come eventually.

I'm pretty pessimistic about any solution to the deer overpopulation across all of the US and Canada - except disease. That will come eventually.

It's already here and the hunters want the states to fund research to find a cure and maintain herd size............

BOOM on highway 12! Leaky corn or grain hopper on a rail car had them wandering the tracks?

Back