• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Market hunting deer

We have an electric fence around our garden-well away from the house. Also have electric fence around the "yard" ,edge of the woods as they eat most anything certain times of year. I suppose you could call it "market hunting" (of sorts) when land owners charge for hunting rights?
I always was bothered by the deer skins that go to waste with road kills. Also just read in magazine as to how valuable vultures are in eating the carrion. they are studying how they are immune to microbes that kill us to help save us from the same.
brewski man-beware the microbes and, like you say forget the ticks...:)

We have an electric fence around our garden-well away from the house. Also have electric fence around the "yard" ,edge of the woods as they eat most anything certain times of year. I suppose you could call it "market hunting" (of sorts) when land owners charge for hunting rights?
I always was bothered by the deer skins that go to waste with road kills. Also just read in magazine as to how valuable vultures are in eating the carrion. they are studying how they are immune to microbes that kill us to help save us from the same.

You are correct, many of the "deer" farms are shooting galleries for farm raised trophy racks (antlers). That form of hunting / vanity will never die.

The whole issue of charging for hunting rights is a wonderful bit social cancer that, typically, ruins every other holiday season for me. Yes, I know the neighboring land owner is an $$%%^^&## and yes he is harassing the hunters that are passing thru his property to my property and the adjacent state game lands, but I'm not going to waste the time and effort to deal with him and his local stooges that live to hunt deer and make money from it. Life is far too short and precious to waste on dealings with asocial misfits.

I really enjoyed the article and reading this thread. Recently I had a very close call with two females crossing from the left. I hit the breaks real hard, felt ABS front and rear working, just missed the second one. The area was as he described, a woody area between two fields that the road went through.

I now added that lesson to my routine and will pay more attention in when crossing 'deer bridges'. I live in PA and the deer are out of control, we should for sure have a longer season and consider concepts like market hunting.

And for those who want it in ranked order...

1 WV. 32,177 1 in 39
2 Penn 123,941 1 in 71
3 Montana 10,099 1 in 75
4 Iowa 28,716 1 in 77
5 SD. 7,420 1 in 82
6 Mississippi 23,403 1 in 84
7 Wisconsin 47,669 1 in 85
8 Minnesota 37,549 1 in 88
9 Virginia 63,145 1 in 88
10 SC. 37,000 1 in 93
11 Michigan 74,709 1 in 94
12 NC. 64815 1 in 103
13 Arkansas 20,487 1 in 107
13 Kentucky 27,912 1 in 107
15 Wyoming 3,849 1 in 110
16 ND. 4,207 1 in 120
17 Maryland 33,946 1 in 121
18 Missouri 34,550 1 in 124
19 Alabama 30,051 1 in 127
19 Ohio 63,138 1 in 127
21 Georgia 49,182 1 in 134
22 Kansas 14,731 1 in 137
23 Nebraska 9,210 1 in 148
24 Delaware 4,803 1 in 150
24 Maine 6,702 1 in 150
26 New York 72,618 1 in 154
27 Tenn. 28,044 1 in 163
28 Idaho 6,372 1 in 172
28 Indiana 31,286 1 in 172
30 Vermont 3,029 1 in 175
31 Illinois 38,969 1 in 211
32 Oklahoma 11,287 1 in 213
33 NJ. 26,860 1 in 225
34 Utah 7,928 1 in 226
35 NH. 4,654 1 in 229
36 Connecti. 9,723 1 in 256
37 Oregon 10,523 1 in 263
38 Louisiana 9,783 1 in 299
39 Texas 48,648 1 in 314
40 Colorado 11,601 1 in 328
41 Wash. 14,043 1 in 372
42 RI. 1,833 1 in 409
43 Mass. 11,250 1 in 421
44 Alaska 1,100 1 in 479
45 NM. 2,545 1 in 562
46 DC. 546 1 in 734
47 Florida 14,823 1 in 938
48 California 24,933 1 in 970
49 Nevada 1,583 1 in 1,092
50 Arizona 3,794 1 in 1,238
51 Hawaii 89 1 in 10,281

Around Griffith Park, right in the heart of LA a mountain lion, creativly named P-22, has lived for about 4 years. He is strong, seemingly not interested with people or pets as he has an ample supply of deer which he dispatches with regularity and ease. It is impressive that he has had to cross two freeways to reach this island of nature in the middle of the urban sea. He is monitored and collared and has not been a threat. My sister saw him in her back yard in the hills above Burbank. Although this naturally occuring introduction into the neighborhood of a deer killing predator has thus far been a successful experiment, I doubt that many communities want mountain lions introduced into their neighborhoods.

I think easy and cheap doe tags would help diminish the problem of deer overpopulation.

Wonder if there is any chance of finding a P-23 he could breed with that shared the skill in crossing freeways? Be great to have several generations of mountain lions that shared that care in crossing freeways, and also liked to kill and eat only deer - with a disdain for children and pets. Interesting experiment. I've owned many domestic cats over the years. Some stay off the road. Some have been killed on the road. One old tom cat, still with us, crosses the road in front of our place several times a day - and when I have seen him do it, it is at a slow pace. I believe he listens for cars. When he doesn't hear any, he ambles across. Who knows how he acquired that very sensible skill that so many do not have.

I also agree hunters (in areas where deer are over-populated; apparently not everywhere) should have to buy and fill a doe tag before they can buy and fill a buck tag. One buck can impregnate a lot of does, producing a lot of fawns. That probably will not go over well with many hunters. The matter of ticks, Lyme disease, and other diseases which could possibly transfer to those eating wild deer I believe will lead to further reduction in the number of deer shot by sport hunters.

Kantuckid, be VERY INTERESTED in hearing the details of your electric fence around your garden (as I am sure many others would.) You know; number of wires, or a grid; height; how it is powered. Anything that you believes has made it effective. Lots of conflicting info on the web. Deer have pruned our garden and landscaping bushes and would like to keep them out of the garden next year.

Marchyman, could you explain your post #44 in this thread? (Since it is quite long, didn't want to quote it.) The ranking order and state are clear, but I am confused what the following numbers mean. Explain one and you have explained them all, except for where you got the data.

"1. WV. 32,177 1 in 39" Are you saying the first number is the number of deer hit in West Virginia? If so, what year? Is "1 in 39" the percentage of licensed drivers or vehicles who hit a deer in that state?

Interesting information, but at least for me, requires this clarification and I thank you for providing it.

And for those who want it in ranked order...

1 WV. 32,177 1 in 39
2 Penn 123,941 1 in 71
3 Montana 10,099 1 in 75
4 Iowa 28,716 1 in 77
5 SD. 7,420 1 in 82
6 Mississippi 23,403 1 in 84
7 Wisconsin 47,669 1 in 85
8 Minnesota 37,549 1 in 88
9 Virginia 63,145 1 in 88
10 SC. 37,000 1 in 93
11 Michigan 74,709 1 in 94
12 NC. 64815 1 in 103
13 Arkansas 20,487 1 in 107
13 Kentucky 27,912 1 in 107
15 Wyoming 3,849 1 in 110
16 ND. 4,207 1 in 120
17 Maryland 33,946 1 in 121
18 Missouri 34,550 1 in 124
19 Alabama 30,051 1 in 127
19 Ohio 63,138 1 in 127
21 Georgia 49,182 1 in 134
22 Kansas 14,731 1 in 137
23 Nebraska 9,210 1 in 148
24 Delaware 4,803 1 in 150
24 Maine 6,702 1 in 150
26 New York 72,618 1 in 154
27 Tenn. 28,044 1 in 163
28 Idaho 6,372 1 in 172
28 Indiana 31,286 1 in 172
30 Vermont 3,029 1 in 175
31 Illinois 38,969 1 in 211
32 Oklahoma 11,287 1 in 213
33 NJ. 26,860 1 in 225
34 Utah 7,928 1 in 226
35 NH. 4,654 1 in 229
36 Connecti. 9,723 1 in 256
37 Oregon 10,523 1 in 263
38 Louisiana 9,783 1 in 299
39 Texas 48,648 1 in 314
40 Colorado 11,601 1 in 328
41 Wash. 14,043 1 in 372
42 RI. 1,833 1 in 409
43 Mass. 11,250 1 in 421
44 Alaska 1,100 1 in 479
45 NM. 2,545 1 in 562
46 DC. 546 1 in 734
47 Florida 14,823 1 in 938
48 California 24,933 1 in 970
49 Nevada 1,583 1 in 1,092
50 Arizona 3,794 1 in 1,238
51 Hawaii 89 1 in 10,281

http://www.marketplace.org/content/roadkill-roadtrip

Here's a second source of similar info, apparently collected by State Farm Insurance.

Marchyman, could you explain your post #44 in this thread? (Since it is quite long, didn't want to quote it.) The ranking order and state are clear, but I am confused what the following numbers mean. Explain one and you have explained them all, except for where you got the data.

"1. WV. 32,177 1 in 39" Are you saying the first number is the number of deer hit in West Virginia? If so, what year? Is "1 in 39" the percentage of licensed drivers or vehicles who hit a deer in that state?

Interesting information, but at least for me, requires this clarification and I thank you for providing it.

Member 36654 got there first in post #48 on this thread, and I thank you. (Your numbers are slightly different than those in post #44, but similar enough that they are not contentious.) The short answer is, the first number is the number of deer hit in each state. The second number (WV - 1 in 39) is the number of licensed drivers in a state (not out-of -state drivers, I believe) who hit a deer versus the number of licensed drivers in that state.

I would strongly recommend going to the link in post #48 and clicking on the state you live in and the states you plan to travel to. Find out how frequent deer collisions are in your state or states you plan to travel to next year.

Wish I could offer some good advice not offered sooner on this thread that would keep you safer, but I can't. Here is a summary of hot tips: 1. don't ride at dawn, dusk or at night. 2. don't ride during the breeding season and especially the opening of hunting season. 3. slow WAY DOWN if you see a deer; more may be coming.

Finally, I now realize my suggestion of market hunting wild deer will not work in either the US or Canada for a variety of reasons. Deep snow and disease are what will probably eventually drop the deer population. I wish hunting humanely put this meet on the market, but don't see how this can happen.

Interesting... a post got deleted. My data came from that deleted post. The original post was sorted by name of state. All I did was re-sort that data to be in rank order because I was curious. BCKRider answered your question about what the numbers mean.

Interesting... a post got deleted. My data came from that deleted post. The original post was sorted by name of state. All I did was re-sort that data to be in rank order because I was curious. BCKRider answered your question about what the numbers mean.

I deleted my post. Your's presents the info in a much easier format so mine became superfluous. :thumb

Seems we all need to move to HI :D

Those are some crazy numbers in some states , TX is high, but was surprised a few are higher...these are reported hits correct?

I stay alert, but do not curtail my riding during particular seasons. I try to not ride at dark anymore...sometimes it happens.
I have as many encounters with sqirrels, turkeys and cows in the road as I do deer, and yes, I have a few deer stories and hits at different times of the year...at least the older cows are predictable...they are not moo-ving :laugh

We keep encroaching on habitat...we are going to have issues. Even the state seems to be giving up on the relocation efforts, which only seems to move the problem in the years to come. We have a lot of non native exotics like Axis deer,that are escaping the fenced ranches...and they are way bigger than our white tail deer.

Interesting thread, and I'm in favor of whatever means we can reduce the number of 'forest rats' crossing our paths.

Unfortunately, numbers were just released for Wisconsin's deer-hunting season (gun) and the 'harvest' is down 15%. Fewer and fewer people taking up hunting here, and poor snow cover didn't help.

Many here also shun venison for human consumption due to unresolved issues with deer CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease of the brain).

I ride very aware whenever the tree-line nears the roadway, and especially at dawn and dusk. :hide

Last edited:
To non-believers in gear.... the image shows the consequences and the article provides context in the riders lament.
1st prayer - that I do not run into a deer or a deer does not run into me (again)
2nd prayer - that I am only doing 30 MPH or less if a collision does occur
3rd prayer - that if I am launched off my bike and become a projectile, that there are no guard rails, poles, or other vehicles in the vicinity that I might hit

Time of day is a factor, but it was not for me. It was the last Sunday in July on a sunny day at 2 PM, traveling at just under 45 MPH.

Little protective gear details suddenly become important, like gloves. Hardened knuckle protection. Gloves strapped on tight - they tend to come off once you start into a roll.
Full coverage helmet - face shield closed. Not something I always do, but by chance I had mine closed. Face shield ended up with pavement scrapes which otherwise would have been my face (which could have been an improvement to some :) )

Other factor is just exposure time. The more we ride, the more time there is for a possible event to occur.

In another post on this forum (too lazy to look it up) one of our experienced and respected members mentioned that pulsing headlights were very effective in getting deer to head back into the bush instead of across the road. I think he may be on to something. BC has "roadside reflectors" in certain high risk areas of deer strikes - which are supposed to reflect car headlights and send the deer back into the bush. Haven't read any statistics of whether crashes at night were reduced or not. BUT, it makes some sense that a pulsing light during the DAYTIME (when pulsing headlights work) is NOT something deer are used to - and hence might want to get away from. (Should mention that I don't have one, find them as oncoming traffic a little annoying - though they certainly identify your vehicle as a MOTORCYCLE better than anything else - and would hate to ride/drive with that pulsing light behind me for miles.)

Let's say (guess) that honking your horn and using a pulsing headlight are equally effective in keeping roadside deer from jumping out in front or into you. The big advantage of the pulsing headlight is that it is driving off deer you don't see - and unseen deer are big percentage of the hazard. You are unlikely to keep honking your horn all the time when deer COULD be present.

Hope this gets back to the person (I believe a moderator on the forum) who inspired this post. Be great if others who use pulsing headlights chimed in with their experience about deer behavior.

I don't believe in "magic bullets" that keep you safe from bad drivers - but I think more forward lighting, brake lights that flash before coming on solid, white helmets, and brighter upper jackets DO up your odds of being seen by drivers.

Out on country roads where deer are the major threat (assuming you can control your throttle hand and not run off the road,) be great if there is something that similarly reduced (not eliminated) the risk.

Glad this thread I started is still alive - because the threat certainly has not gone away, or is likely to.

In another post on this forum (too lazy to look it up) one of our experienced and respected members mentioned that pulsing headlights were very effective in getting deer to head back into the bush instead of across the road. I think he may be on to something. BC has "roadside reflectors" in certain high risk areas of deer strikes - which are supposed to reflect car headlights and send the deer back into the bush. Haven't read any statistics of whether crashes at night were reduced or not. BUT, it makes some sense that a pulsing light during the DAYTIME (when pulsing headlights work) is NOT something deer are used to - and hence might want to get away from. (Should mention that I don't have one, find them as oncoming traffic a little annoying - though they certainly identify your vehicle as a MOTORCYCLE better than anything else - and would hate to ride/drive with that pulsing light behind me for miles.)

Let's say (guess) that honking your horn and using a pulsing headlight are equally effective in keeping roadside deer from jumping out in front or into you. The big advantage of the pulsing headlight is that it is driving off deer you don't see - and unseen deer are big percentage of the hazard. You are unlikely to keep honking your horn all the time when deer COULD be present.

Hope this gets back to the person (I believe a moderator on the forum) who inspired this post. Be great if others who use pulsing headlights chimed in with their experience about deer behavior.

I don't believe in "magic bullets" that keep you safe from bad drivers - but I think more forward lighting, brake lights that flash before coming on solid, white helmets, and brighter upper jackets DO up your odds of being seen by drivers.

Out on country roads where deer are the major threat (assuming you can control your throttle hand and not run off the road,) be great if there is something that similarly reduced (not eliminated) the risk.

Glad this thread I started is still alive - because the threat certainly has not gone away, or is likely to.

Just came back from a ride today (Nov. 3rd and 77 degrees in the southwestern Kettle Moraine Forest here in Wisconsin!), and slowed to doge a buck around 10:30 this morning. Many are being driven back out onto the roads right now due to bow season.

Pulsating headlights a plus for deer as well as humans, but not legal once dusk approaches (WI defines 'hours of darkness" as "1/2 hour before dusk, until 1/2 hour after dawn.")

I do find blaring my horn startles these creatures out of their 'trance-like state' and they usually hop back into the trees.

Vigilance the only proven method, despite all the farkles and anecdotal testimonials public sites such as this will display.

Be very careful this time of year. :gerg

Thanks for all the interesting stories and commentary on that ON deer colision article (I wrote it). As I said on another board - the level of understanding and appreciation of the role of deer in North America is experiencing a sea change. The elimination of the novelty by seeing so many deer daily, the collision rate, agricultural destruction, role in tick-borne Lyme Disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, facilitation of predators moving into urban areas, ornamental damage by browsing and a lower percentage of the public that still likes to hunt means that deer will ultimately lose out in the voting booth as regulations for reductions pop up.

In the mean time, do the mental rehearsals on your response to deer appearing in or near your lane of travel, pick your travel times and routes, anticipate the unseen, get good lights, and know that you can sometimes actually ride over or through a deer if avoidance is impossible.

Be careful out there!

Lee Foote
I wonder if we can add the increasing goose population to any future wild animal herd reduction! Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your primary thread......

I wonder if we can add the increasing goose population to any future wild animal herd reduction! Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your primary thread......

No kidding! Due to climate changes (milder winters) and abundant food supplies, along with less hunting pressure, those dang geese (and the hot dog-sized poop they leave everywhere) are getting to be quite a nuisance.

Here is Wisconsin, turkeys are an even bigger problem. Unlike scavenging birds (crows, hawks, eagles), they do not scatter upon the approach of a motorcycle. They might attempt to take flight, but that usually results in one or more of these 30-lb. 'tumbleweeds with wings' to be at windshield height when you slam into them - never ends good for either of you. Seeing more cycle/turkey collisions here in annual crash reports.

Be careful out there! :nono

Back