• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Loose Mirror - R1100S

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
Here's one I haven't seen before. When the weather gets hot (33+C), the black plastic surrounding my left mirror expands enough that the mirror itself becomes loose and starts to vibrate. When cooler, like 25C or lower, its solid.

Any tips on how I can re-secure the mirror inside its outside mount - or do I have to restrict my riding to more temperate climates? :laugh

All input/snide remarks are welcome and appreciated.

Perhaps drill a tiny hole (or two) in the surrounding plastic, and use a syringe to inject a gob of silicone?

Or bring it down here and I'll figure it out after an extensive test ride...

Perhaps drill a tiny hole (or two) in the surrounding plastic, and use a syringe to inject a gob of silicone?

Or bring it down here and I'll figure it out after an extensive test ride...

Darn it, I was just in Thousand Oaks and would have been more than happy to drift on down and have you give the mirror "an extensive test ride". :D

In lieu of that, I may have to try the silicone implant, er, silicone injection idea.

Edit: OK, its amazing what you find when you get off your ass and look. I trundled out to the garage to take a gander at the underside of the mirror with the idea of drilling a couple of holes to inject silicone. What do I find? A drain hole. Pre-drilled. I've renamed it as a "silicone access point". I figure between 3-500cc's oughta do it.

Last edited:
Had that problem with aging airhead mirrors. Put a very thin line of silicone all around between the glass and the edge of the mirror frame. Once cured use an Xacto knife to trim off any excess. I wouldn't plug up the drain hole.

I've given some further thought to the issue and I might try that super-expanding spray-in insulation stuff in a can. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Interesting idea, but that stuff can get sloppy very quickly. There are also 3 grades: minimally expanding, slightly expanding, & very expanding.

BTW, I already have a big gob of silicone on the rear (inner/forward-facing) of my right mirror's glass - not to hold or seal anything, but to reduce its vibration. Seems to have helped.

apply a little loctite primer with a q tip around the glass and frame, then add some wicking loctite. and set face down overnight.

As always, thanks for all the ideas/advice/comedic remarks. The weather seems to have cooled slightly and the mirror is back to being vibration free. So, for the time being, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" will apply.

:thumb

Back