• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Just Thinking Out Loud - Maybe Moving to a Smaller Displacement BMW

Voni currently has 3 BMWs - a 1994 R1100RS with 370,000 miles; a 1991 K75 with 107.000 miles and an F800S with 86,000 miles. She likes all 3. The R1100 is the heaviest, the F800 the lightest. The R1100 carries the weight lower so is less top heavy. The K75 is in the middle weight wise but carries the weight higher than the F800. The vertical location of the center of gravity is important for senior citizens like me.

Voni has never complained about any buzziness or bizziness on her F800 twin, and in my occasional ride on it for a mile or so I have never noticed any vibration so on that issue I don't know what to say.

As for me - I ride primarily an R1150R or K75 standard or K75RTP. I had and rode an F650 until it became beset with mechanical maladies beyond my ambition to attack at the moment so it sits, neglected and forlorn. When my R1150 or K75s become too much I'm getting a scooter - critics and naysayers be exiled to Sierra Leone.

Voni currently has 3 BMWs - a 1994 R1100RS with 370,000 miles; a 1991 K75 with 107.000 miles and an F800S with 86,000 miles. She likes all 3. The R1100 is the heaviest, the F800 the lightest. The R1100 carries the weight lower so is less top heavy. The K75 is in the middle weight wise but carries the weight higher than the F800. The vertical location of the center of gravity is important for senior citizens like me.

Voni has never complained about any buzziness or bizziness on her F800 twin, and in my occasional ride on it for a mile or so I have never noticed any vibration so on that issue I don't know what to say.

As for me - I ride primarily an R1150R or K75 standard or K75RTP. I had and rode an F650 until it became beset with mechanical maladies beyond my ambition to attack at the moment so it sits, neglected and forlorn. When my R1150 or K75s become too much I'm getting a scooter - critics and naysayers be exiled to Sierra Leone.

Not being critical &/or for sure not naysaying...just thinking out loud and asking....

I have looked at scooters [for the future] honestly other than the step through feature , I don not see a huge difference in them and reasonably sized motorcycles. example R1150R ? Yes my KLT weighs a ton, as does my Vic/Crossroad...but some of the nicer [highway-worthy] scooters have some "heft" to them.

As I said back in post #11 of this thread, the Japanese don't make a bike like I was looking for, BMW did. Go figure.

Well I was making the suggestion for the OP, who may be open to the idea. You were looking for a bike that didn't have a chain drive, which does limit the options. My point is you can get a really nice Japanese bike that is incredibly fun for a fraction of the cost of a BMW. The BMWs certainly have their merits and amenities, however I feel the maintenance cost trade off is too much for me and the boxer is the only bike I can fully maintain at home.

Bigger displacement scooters can be quite fun. I know a couple guys who ride Burgman 600s who embarrass a fair share of sport bike riders in the hills.

To bad ............

The Moto Guzzi V7 seems like it would be a great choice, but I don't hear of many good reviews......

Last edited:
If you got an R1200R you'd have a way nicer engine.

Makes me drool.
But I have the F8ST
Saw it in the flesh, the blue.
That's a lot of bike.
Dare I say, I liken it to the 2009 Porsche 911 Turbo.
Words come to mind like, "widow-maker" and "biter". Leave it in Rain Mode.

I really really like my C650GT but I know, it's not a real motorcycle. ;)

edit:Ya know I know that you know I REALLY meant the S1000R.
<- this guys an idiot

Last edited:
Wow! A lot of responses. We had a beautiful day today (temps in the low to mid 70s), so after I got home from work, out came the R1150R for a ride. What can I say? I had a blast!

There are pluses and minuses to keeping the big boxer, and going with something smaller. I LOVE the midrage grunt my R1150R has for powering through turns. I wouldn't have this with an F800, F700, or F650. By the same token, the smaller bikes are a bit more nimble on a winding road (although, the fact that I've kept my R1150R a naked bike [I'm really not of fan touring oriented fairings, unless it's cold, and I want to beat the cold wind blast] does help to keep the weight down). For now, I'll stand pat with my R1150R, but I will keep the F700, F800, or an R80 in mind if I do change my mind.

Thanks for your thoughts on the topic. :)

If you got an R1200R you'd have a way nicer engine.

And if you're a "back road burner" then an S1000R/RR would be way nicer yet! Ever since I put an S1000RR in my garage, the K bike gets no mileage other than the big epic trip every year. I'm thinking of selling it for a GS. The RR has ruined how I felt all sporty about my K1600GT and the GS would give me an entirely different experience. I've never been this excited about hopping on a motorcycle since I got the RR. Another intriguing choice would be the new R1200RS as well - it's pretty light comparatively.

I live in WI and have a R1200RT and my wife has a '10 F650GS. The GS has plenty of power in the turns, you just need to be a little past mid range. They are both great bikes and both plenty fast in the corners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back