• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Discuss my next bike alternatives

gunderwood

This is going to be an odd thread. :thumb

Background
My first bike is a 2009 F800ST and I'm loving riding it so much that I'm considering purchasing another bike to complement what I hope is a life-long growing stable. The "problem" I have is that the F800ST is IMHO a very good all-rounder with just a few tweaks, so that makes it hard to choose a second bike. I've kicked around quite a few ideas including sidecars, but think I've narrowed it down to two very different bikes and maybe a third.

I have no intention of getting rid of my F800ST and in either case it will probably remain my primary ride. I'm also young (<30), so I don't care much for the uber comfort of a big touring bike. They're nice bikes, but just not for me at this point.

HP2 Sport
I love the look and details on this bike. Plenty of power for the street, but way different than your run of the mill sport bike. Realistically it won't ever see a competitive race track; race things you don't care about breaking and IMHO this bike is too special to abuse. A "relaxed" and occasional track day is possible, but uncertain.

I view it as a special sport bike that in 20+ years is still special and fun to ride. Most other sport bikes seem almost disposable. I'm a bit of a romantic with special machines or at least what I think will be special and last. I love seeing the older bikes like the cafe racers, restored BMWs of all types, etc. It doesn't matter that they aren't fast by today's standards, they're a unique snapshot in time and history of technology. I think it is wonderful that people have restored or maintained the bikes from their youth...the only problem is that those aren't the bikes from my youth. The HP2 Sport is. Admittedly this is the rose colored glasses I view the HP2 Sport through and it's a large part of the appeal to me (feel free to challenge that view as that's the whole point of posting this). It's not a practical bike. It's something I'll ride 5-15 times a year for 100-300 miles a session tops. I.e. pull it out for a special ride. That brings me to the negative comment.

The limits of even my F800ST are so high relative to the legal speed which one can travel in this country (US) that some of the fun is compromised. Perhaps I'm an odd ball on this, but there is something very satisfying in driving/riding a sporty, lightweight, but relatively modest machine near the limits for those rare corners where it can be done reasonably safe. It's the reason I drive a stock S2000...sure I can go faster with mods or a better car, but it's more satisfying to drive that one well. That's part of what turns me off of the one liter sports bikes; their limits are so high that I can't think of anywhere to really enjoy them besides a competitive track event. The negative is that I think even the HP2 is well into this category without an autobahn. Thoughts?

I really like my F800ST and while it is a great bike, I don't think it's special like a HP2 Sport is; it's rare to see a company build and sell such a machine. The ST is a great ride, but it's a workhorse. There's no pomp and circumstance when you pull it out for a ride. As such, I plan on riding it into the ground...which could take quite some time! :german

R1200GSA
This thing looks like a tank on two wheels! It would make a better rally machine or two up than my F800ST, but the ST works fine in those instances even though the GSA is probably superior. The real draw for me is the dual sport nature of this bike. I live on the East coast and don't want to buy a truck to haul out a real dirt bike. I do like backpacking too so that adds to the draw of the GSA. The comments on this bike are short because I expect the draw to it is fairly self explanatory and there are lots of them around so forum experience is available. Not so much with the HP2 Sport.

The negative is that most of the roads around VA are basically fire/gravel roads and you don't really need a GSA to handle them. I've gone down plenty with just my ST. Granted I'm sure I could go much faster with the GSA. If I lived out west it would almost be a no brainer. However, being young, taking weeks off to travel the world probably isn't going to happen for a while. Besides, the watercooled engine is just around the corner which should help MPG and widen the torque curve even more. Throw in a couple of years to work out the kinks and I could probably buy it right after I finish paying for the HP2 Sport. Can't count on that though...you know, best laid plans of mice and men. ;)

Norton Commando 961 Cafe Racer - Silver with Blk/red pin stripes
This is the maybe bike. Realistically it has much of the same draw as the HP2 Sport. Impractical, but sporty and classy. The cost difference really doesn't matter; if I'm going to get any of these bikes a few $k either way won't sway me. The Norton isn't as powerful or fast as the BMW, but there's that "ride a sorted but modest sport bike really well fun factor vs. going just as fast on a much more capable machine and knowing you left 70% of its capability on the table." The same sporting fun factor rather than "racing" that appeals to me on the HP2 over a 1L rocket despite being down 50HP is the same here. The torque of either engine is some great that absolute HP numbers don't matter IMHO.

Unlike the HP2's styling, it's already classic and there's not much doubt about how it will age. I think the HP2 will age well, but there is something cool about having a new bike that looks like a classic.

The negatives are no ABS and the engine is similar to the F800. Just like the HP2 Sport, I'd probably never intentionally ride it in the rain or on bad surfaces, but I don't wear gear expecting to crash either. The ABS is a nice safety net just in case. Not a deal breaker, but definitely a negative. The engine just doesn't seem to inspire me...yet (I've only seen pictures). As an engineer there's something neat about different configurations to solve the same basic problem. The boxer is way cool, the parallel twin the F800 is cool because of it's unique balancing mechanism and it was my first such bike. Somehow a second parallel twin just isn't as interesting. Perhaps I'd feel the same way about the HP2 Sport if I'd bought a boxer the first time around?

Long term dealer support is somewhat of a question. In fact, so is Norton's existence. Restarting a brand is a gamble.

Question
Realistically I won't buy until next spring, but I'm a planner. I'm looking for opinions on the bikes in general and insights on how I've evaluated them. If I had a lot more experience I'd be much more confident in my assessments, but that's why I'm posting. I've kicked the can around a lot and researched the bikes, but want to leverage the expertise here. Perhaps someone has a different viewpoint on the machines.

I have one of the Paul Smart Ducatis and toyed with the new Norton. I've been saving things from magazines and newspapers about it and following its progress to availability. It looks to have a similar riding position which is not something I'd suggest for 120 miles which is approx the distance to reserve on the Duc. But it does get alot of comments at gas stations and waves on the road. The Norton should be the same.

I love the ST and that will probably be my choice when I end up getting my second, and newer bike....also considering doing something in the Spring of 2012. The other bikes you mention are definitely interesting and probably fun in their own ways.

Having already owning a modern bike, maybe you should consider an older one....perhaps an airhead? I bought a 1979 R65 about 3 years ago and have loved it. Sure, its not as fast as a modern bike, but it's taken me from Chicago to Aspen, New Orleans, Myrtle Beach, Montreal, etc., etc. While the friends I ride with have bikes from the 2000's, inevitably, it's my bike that people give the thumbs up to or come and talk about at a gas station....not that it matters, but it is kind of fun.

Randy

Wow, that is a diverse set of wants... Kind of like my wanting a Ducati, a Triumph, that Norton, etc...

I would say if you want people to stare, the Norton will do it. If you want to have a BMW not many people have seen or own, the HP2 would be it. If you want to get a bike that I hear is great, but everyone seems to have one, the GSA is it... I have an RT, a CS, an Airhead & want to add in a Ducati, that Norton & who knows what else...

Yeah, I'm sick.

The Norton is big money for what you get. Makes you question how Triumph manages to price theirs so cheap. Instead of buying a new Norton I would rather buy the classic and know I can get my money back if I decide to sell. Classic Bike Experience in Essex, VT does complete restorations on Nortons.

http://www.classicbikeexperience.com/available_bikes

While there watch the Norton Project video, bet you shed a tear.

Last edited:
I ride an HP2 Sport and a R12GSADV. Also considering the Norton, my simple decision steps would be...

1). What kind of roads/rides are on your horizon?

2). After determining #1, go with your heart.

I've test rode an F800ST three times, and love it. I just don't fit well on it.

The Norton is definitely a cool bike, but for about half the cost I'd look at a new Thruxton. I appreciate you can apparently afford to buy what you want, I just don't see the Norton being worth that much more. On the other hand, plenty of people would say that about the GS compared to other bikes.

Try an R1200R. Most versatile bike BMW builds but does not market .

Outstanding machine :thumb

Last edited:
Wow, that is a diverse set of wants... Kind of like my wanting a Ducati, a Triumph, that Norton, etc...
More or less the point. I already have a great, modern, versatile bike. If I purchase another, it needs to provide an experience that's different and can be very focused.

I would say if you want people to stare...
Stare? Not really. I generally don't care much about other peoples reactions to my toys; if they like it and appreciate it too, good for them...if not, no worries either. If I gave that impression, I didn't mean too. Here's some clarification.

A shaft driven, dry clutch, oil-cooled boxer, sport bike (aka the HP2) provides a somewhat unique experience. There's a definite appeal for the engineering and maintenance (I do my own because I like it). I.e. BMW is famous for doing things their way, which is not usually how everyone else does things, and that's one of the reasons I like them. Not because of other peoples reactions to the uniqueness, but rather I'm an engineer and am fascinated by how things work. When I say "special" or "unique," it's about the joy of riding a machine who's character and quirkiness interests me. Other than my wife (whatever it is I do want to keep it), it wouldn't bother me if everyone else hated it.

The same is less true of the Norton with the exception of the Cafe Racer styling and the twin rear shocks. I haven't seen one up close, so it's hard to tell if it's as well executed as the HP2 or the pictures make it look. Thus, it's hard to know if it's worth what their asking. I'm a sucker for quality and attention to detail.

Given that statement, it may seem odd why I'd even bother posting (if I don't care, why bother asking?). The reason is, I can't exactly arrange for a good long test ride of an HP2 Sport and IIRC the Norton's not available yet in the US. I'm assuming things based on my observations and hoping others insights can help me determine which motorcycle experience I want to pursue next. If I could take the HP2 Sport on the mountain roads of WV for 100miles or so, I would have my answer. I would either love it or decide it's nice, but not worth the money over what my F800ST offers on the same roads.

I've test rode an F800ST three times, and love it. I just don't fit well on it.
How so? The knee angle is a bit off for me, but lowering pegs will fix that easily. It's just a bit (6'/32" inseam), so I haven't bothered yet. My wife needed a new seat as the pillion was awful.

I appreciate you can apparently afford to buy what you want, I just don't see the Norton being worth that much more. On the other hand, plenty of people would say that about the GS compared to other bikes.
Don't get me wrong, I'll have to make sacrifices elsewhere in my life to do it. I'm blessed enough that I could purchase a second bike, but not so much that I can just buy one and not care about the loss if I don't like it. That's why it's so important to research and hopefully get it right.

I like well executed products and have a preference to do without rather than purchase cheap things. It works for me.

I ride an HP2 Sport and a R12GSADV. Also considering the Norton, my simple decision steps would be...

1). What kind of roads/rides are on your horizon?

2). After determining #1, go with your heart.
Ideally? Anything and everything! I'd love to have a track bike, a sport bike, a dual sport, a dirt...but that's not reality. This purchase doesn't have to have utility, but the next purchase after that will (e.g. probably have to replace a car or two by then). After that the F800ST will probably be ~7-10 years old and well over 100k miles. Thus, the third bike purchase will probably have to have lots of utility/versatility like the ST.

Thinking ahead, a future watercooled GSA can provide that utility which is why I'm biased more towards the HP2 and Norton. At this point in my life I can afford to purchase a bike which I only ride a few times a year and for short distances (compared to the ST). The GSA does provide a different experience with it's offroad ability and to be honest that's the main reason it's even in the running.

I'd like to hear your thoughts and impressions after living with an HP2 Sport. Does it really bring a different experience than a sport tourer on public roads reasonably or does it need a track to really explore it's value? I.e. I have more experience with cars and there are a lot of good performance machines, but some are brilliant and reasonable on the street, while others are kind of ho-hum unless you track them. In your opinion, which is the HP2?

Try an R1200R. Most versatile bike BMW builds but does not market .

Outstanding machine :thumb
I did look at the R1200R and I should really test ride one, but for some reason I just feel like it would be conflicting with what I already have. Perhaps an example might make that statement more clear.

1. If I buy the HP2 Sport or Norton, there really isn't a conflict at all. The weather must be near perfect, I must not want to carry anything besides the minimal necessities, and the character of the ride is very different and focused. They exist to be taken to the mountains with the sole purpose of enjoying corners.

2. If I buy the GSA, there is a mild conflict with LD travel. However, the GSA brings off road ability and much better two up LD. If I'm two up or rallying, take the GSA; otherwise, take the ST.

Perhaps it's a very odd way to think about it and I concede that I've never owned two bikes at one time before, but it seems like owning a 12' R1200R and a 09' F800ST doesn't have a clear cut differentiation as to which I ride. They just seem similar in their purpose?

The engines are different, but the F engine was intentionally designed to have similar character as the boxer...not identical but similar. From what I've read and heard on video the HP2's extra revs and turning really extend the boxers character, not so much for the R1200R.

Not so with a HP2/Norton/GSA. The ST stays my primary ride for work, bad weather, touring, two up, etc. with only mild overlap. In a way, it's almost obvious which bike to take for a given ride agenda. Three bikes is out of the question for the foreseeable future; thus, given I already have a F800ST, how do I augment it so as to have two different experiences without having to buy a truck to haul around the other bike because it doesn't work on public roads?

I'd love to hear why you think the R1200R offers something really different than my current F800ST. I'd even be interested in hearing why I'm thinking about the two bike "problem" wrong if you think that is the case. It's not so much an argument as it is me trying to explain my view, on admittedly all wonderful machines, so as to leverage the vast experience of others.

I'm trying to make my next purchase better for me by validating or invalidating my perceptions of the machines and experiences by leveraging others which have actually have lived with them.

My3;

'071200GSA, very nice, does everything well, best all around hauler for touring and adventure, KLR650'08, the new one with all the latest Kaw. upgrades. A very fine machine, most probably and clearly THE most bang for the bucks spent! I tour on this too in comfort, solo only, not made for 2up unless the folks are tiny:). MY Classic R100/7 since new, 34 years now owning it and one should NEVER dismiss the older Airheads as a lagitimate choice for a great touring bike. Many may need restore, but many "do not" as the owners have looked after them well:). These three make for quite a change from one another, as I make my choice for the ride ahead, smiling:). I keep ALL3 in touring condition, "cross country ready" on very short notice:) The GSA1200 has a slight edge on comfort, but all three are my best choice for my liking and long days in the saddle:)....:usa:thumbRandy

Having already owning a modern bike, maybe you should consider an older one....perhaps an airhead? I bought a 1979 R65 about 3 years ago and have loved it.
How does having an older bike like that or this for example (http://www.bmwmoa.org/flea/detail.php?siteid=33487#) really change the experience compared to what I already have? I get how bikes before the 60s are different, but right or wrong it seems like most from the 70s, 80s, and 90s are just unrefined modern rides. I'll probably take a lot of flak for that one. :hide

That's kind of the appeal for the Norton, the refinement of modern technology with the classic looks. I'm not putting down the old bikes, I'm asking what makes you want to ride them over your modern bike and why. That 79' R100 and a R25/3 are my two favorites in the airhead flea market ATM.

I saw the Norton in person, it is gorgeous. My impression is that it would ride somewhat like a newer Triumph with more horsepower & such.

Have not ridden an HP-2. They look like fun though.

As for an older bike, they are different. Hard to explain, but they are different. Fun in a different way. You connect more with the bike. Puts a smile on your face. Plus, you could buy an Airhead, try it & if you didn't like it, sell for a small loss or gain & then move on. You can't do that with a 20K bike like the Norton or Hp2 or even GSA... I mean a $5000 R100 will still be a $5000 R100 in a year if you bought it right & took care of it.

General Comments. . .

+1 to what Polarbear wrote. I was just about to post a "KLR650" mention, as well as an Airhead mention. . .and there it was, already. Excellent character, personified, in either machine.

Second, good job by gunderwood to explain his innermost thoughts, and good job by the posters to allow him space to do so, without shame. That cerebral cortex thing can really shine forth, at times. So many (great) bikes, and so little time. Great to see a young-un "getting it" so early in life -- lots of smiley-miles ahead for you, bro, no matter what decision you ultimately make.

This thread is "virtual riding" at it's best. . .kudos to all, really.

Walking Eagle

Old to new and back:)

I bought my R100/7 brand new, so I'm a solo owner. We are more rare, those of us keeping'em that long, but. I still consider it a go anywhere anytime ride of choice vs my new GSA1200. They are light years apart, but both bring much satisfaction, including my '08:usa:thumbKLR650:) as a third option:). You need some real differences between rides, or they all get boring, I say, owning multiple bikes. IF I had to chose one again, of my three, it would be the Airhead oldie:). It has more character than any I've ever ridden and thats dozens! Its no rocketship, no braking phenom, but with my upgrades has handling "nailed" and light years ahead of what else was built back then in 1978. A great touring, sport bike of yesteryear and today:). One third a million miles+ on the AirheadR100/7'78, so guess that makes me slightly biased in my choice. Randy

Attachments

• Ricks copy.jpg
    Ricks copy.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 106
Back