• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Just Thinking Out Loud - Maybe Moving to a Smaller Displacement BMW

ellengtrgrl

The riding season here in Wisconsin doesn't have many days left this year. The R1150R will be going into storage soon. Maybe it's my viral infection talking (I've been laid up sick for the past 2 days - thanks to laryngitis, my voice is gone), or maybe it's my thumper riding background rearing its ugly head - I don't know, but I've been wondering if it might be good for me to downsize from my R1150R, to say an F650, G650, or even an F800. You see, I'm not the typical "I ride "a few hundred miles a day on the weekends" BMW rider. For me, it's a quick one or two hour jaunt (tops) on local back roads. So, I don't necessarily need all of the extra dispacement for droning along for several hundred miles. I'm just a back roads burner. Also the maintenance would be a bit cheaper, and easier to do. The bike sould be nimbler handling too. My R1150R is a great bike - like I said, I'm just thinking out loud.

Anybody else ever have similar thoughts?

Last edited:
Today i am picking up a new to me 1997 F650ST. 14k miles, $2900... the F800 you're talking about doesn't weigh much less than your current bike.

Ian

On Oct. 22, 2013, I traded an 800 pound 2010 Victory Vision 8 Ball for a new, 2013 BMW F700GS.

This was the best move I have made as far as motorcycling goes and I have never looked back.

My situation is a bit different, since my last bike was not a BMW but it was a large, fully faired bike. There is an added bonus for me, I have described the Vic as operating like a bunch of randomly assembled parts, where everything on the F700GS works in unison, very seamlessly and smoothly.

I don't tour but I do ride anything from short runs to all day rides and the F700GS is ideal for me, and my 62 year old bad back appreciates the easy of moving it in the garage and parking spaces.

As I am getting older and shorter, I decided to downsize to make riding easier for me. Being short of inseam, BMW doesn't make anything low enough for me to comfortable handle. I sold both of my heavy and tall BMWs and bought 2 650s of other brands. It has made life and riding much easier for me. I would love to return to BMW if they ever make something that will fit me. I think the Indian Scout has potential for us old and short codgers.

down size

;);)I did this about four years ago. I went from a 1150R to a F800ST. I like both of them but each has differences. I ride similar roads[ backroads]. The 1150 you could lug it down , 800 needs high revs or down shift. The 800 you throw it in to curves easier. I did need to change the seat and windshied on the 800 and must wear ear plugs too. Wind noise and buffing. The 1150, I did have a tall windshied with no wind noise. I fould Bmw Buddies help too[ handlebar grips]. Maintenance cost about the same one had shaft and one has belt drive. I have learned alot from both bikes, been to two of the BMW Rallies AND information on this forum. Also I did have a /6 750 for a short time;) Like the new one better.:nod

I down sized from an R1100RT, when I found the new R1200RT was just too big..boulbous. This was back in 2010...so I got a F650GS twin.. low suspension. I added Aeroflow windscreen and other Aeroflow bits to give me RT like weather protection.

I can flat foot it all the time....back out of parking spaces while on the seat...and it weights under 500lbs.

Got almost 50k miles on it still goes great. I recommend it

But I have to admit I've got the new bike itch....and will be looking at the R1200RS closely....if I can flat foot it and the riding position is not too cramped (or can easily be modified)...the lure of a new bike with cruise control, adjustable wind screen will likely sell me.

ps The F650GS has more than adequate performance...will cruise easily all day at 85,,,,do sprints to 100....does get tired at about 115. Get over 60 mpg if kept under 65. In the mountain twisties....not the fastest...middle of the group with Multi strada, a GS1200 and K1200 faster but still leading other 1200s etc. This is more about the rider than the bike....

I will be getting my next bike in the 650 range. Since retirement I only ride backroads now as I have plenty of time to get where I want to go and don't need to ride interstates. Most any of the 650 cc bikes available will do anything I need with much less weight and complexity of the latest BMW's. My last trip out west last month was 8500 miles with a moving average of only 48 MPH. I figure I can buy a 650 instead of a new 1200 BMW for 1/3 the cost and have $15k in my pocket to ride....

Couple of years ago I did a pretty exhaustive search for a new bike that met the following criteria:
1. Medium size displacement engine (650-999cc).
2. Relatively light weight (under 500 pounds).
3. Something other than chain drive (belt or shaft OK).
4. ABS.

At the time, the only new bike sold in the US was the one I bought (F800ST). Today, I believe it is STILL the only bike that meets all my criteria. I would have loved to have several to choose from, but no go on that. I am satisfied with my new bike.

I'm kinda doing the same thing. Looking at smaller motorcycles. One criteria is no cylinders in front of my legs. Want to be able to stretch forward. The only new BMW street bike that fits the bill is the F700GS. Tubeless tires,too. The old venerable K75 also fits the bill. I have a '87 K100RT. Was going to sell it. Not much interest out there and was going to basically give it away. Finally dawned on me, plain K100. Pulled the fairing off. Sit on the bike and felt how light it was. Great. I've been accumulating some parts and getting close to the reassembly. I'm adding the period BMW windshild and spotlamps. for wind protection and extra visibility. Hopefully get a few more years of riding out of this setup. I've also acquired a R80ST and will outfit it as a small displacement tourer.

I'm male, 28.5" inseam and stocky build (big thighs affect leg reach too),5' 8.5" (torso vs. legs length) and shrinking weekly-me thinks?:laugh- so when you add up your ergonomics, what do you get? That has much to say about MC choices that actually fit you-not just what runs nice & fine when underway. Anyone can ride all of them after takeoff. My current 2012 G650GS is a great fit for me in the standard version w/Sargent low seat. The seat could (potentially) be lower than it is as the cushion is relatively thick & flat (for a low seat) vs. the rounded saddle of the OE BMW saddle. The OE saddle allows ones legs to "reach farther" as more narrow.
Wet weights not much less than the (same MC as you) 1150 I switched from but rides & handles lighter & a fun ride at that. Ample power for snappy riding and cruises at speeds well beyond any legal limits. All in all I really like this bike. Definitely lacks the cruising smoothness of last MC but not buzzy in the bars as I'm well attuned to my CTS hands for handlebar issues.
Were I a tad longer, I'd have considered several other choices, particularly the KLR & Wee Strom. Lots of those in the marketplace for you to consider used. If you don't mind giving up the power & some ride smoothness, the thumpers a good choice based for lower riders. The 700cc too.
I hope to my airhead up after this winter & maybe switch bikes again or if my hip doesn't co-operate it may be a scoot next...

Interesting topic, when I started riding a 750 was about as big as you could go unless you got a Harley.

I'm about to hang up my riding gear permanently, but if I were going to stay in the game I'd sell my R1100S and purchase an F800GT. Power to weight ratio is about the same as my S, but in a more compact lighter weight machine. Over the last couple of years my long distance rides went away, and for rides on curvy roads close to home, a smaller bike would be just fine.

BTW, my S is clearly the best bike I've ever owned or ridden, the F800GT is very tempting...LOL.

Cheers! :drink

When I make the move to smaller displacement it will most likely be to a non BMW unit. BMW's 800 size is just right, but I do NOT want vibration in the bars, never have. At higher speeds the BMW 800 has too much vib for me.

... At higher speeds the BMW 800 has too much vib for me.

I've heard this from another person (don't recall where/whom) and I wondered what the speaker meant. Guess it is personal; I have never felt (or perhaps, never NOTICED) any vibrations in my F800. Perhaps it's that "higher speeds" thing. I've not ridden mine over 90 mph, but up to that speed I've not felt any vibrations. The only bikes I can feel any vibrations in are Harleys (and HD makes 'em that way on purpose) and single cylinder bikes.

I've heard this from another person (don't recall where/whom) and I wondered what the speaker meant. Guess it is personal; I have never felt (or perhaps, never NOTICED) any vibrations in my F800. Perhaps it's that "higher speeds" thing. I've not ridden mine over 90 mph, but up to that speed I've not felt any vibrations. The only bikes I can feel any vibrations in are Harleys (and HD makes 'em that way on purpose) and single cylinder bikes.

I have a similar observation with my F700GS, I do not notice any vibration on mine, I can ride it all day at 120 km/hr without any discomfort. But I have not taken it over 140 km/hr, either.

My wife has not had any complaints in this regard about her 2012 F650GS twin, either.

I know there a lot of happy people with the smaller BMWs, but I've had a few friends who got them who have had problems and miserable experiences with them. The only BMWs I really would own are boxers because I can do all my own work on them. For smaller bikes, you may want to consider something Japanese. My SV650 is hands down the most fun bike I have for the hills, and I paid $750 for it.

I agree with Nate. Maybe look for something in the current or recent Honda lineup. Lots of choices in displacement and weight.

... For smaller bikes, you may want to consider something Japanese. My SV650 is hands down the most fun bike I have for the hills, and I paid $750 for it.

As I said back in post #11 of this thread, the Japanese don't make a bike like I was looking for, BMW did. Go figure.

Back