• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

It's time to make selections for the Anonymous Book

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
For those interested in the Anonymous Book, either changing their information or "opting in", now is the time.

From the November ON-

IMG_1087.jpg

OM

Good reminder, not just for the opportunity to include yourself, or update your listing, but also to decide if you want the hardcopy as by default you won't. Thanks!

One of if not "the best" resources of the MOA!

Yes, it seems it's always been popular. But, I wonder if it's utility is diminished now with everyone having a cell phone and road side assistance insurance? Do people still use the Anon book, or do they use their own resources first?

I would use it as a resource, especially the KK.
I'm never that far from home, any more.

I did hear from MOA.
Apparently if you have a digital membership, you don't get the anon book.
They are going to mail me one.

Yes, it seems it's always been popular. But, I wonder if it's utility is diminished now with everyone having a cell phone and road side assistance insurance? Do people still use the Anon book, or do they use their own resources first?

I wouldn’t see it as diminished. Roadside services haven’t generally proven themselves to be great resources in a lot of situations, and their range of issues they can help with is far more limited than what the Anon book can provide. The tow companies can’t put you in touch with local resources that may be able to get the rider back on the road, they usually just want to transport from point A to point B and be done with you. So even with a roadside services contract in place, the Anon book still has a lot of value. If I’m broke down I might call my tow provider but I’m still going to seek out other, additional resources and info via the electronic Anonymous Book. Just MHO…

Best,
DeVern

No, not "everyone" has a cell phone.
Whether I'm on the road, or at home, I do NOT want to bothered with another device. Nor do I wish to be contacted by an employer (on my own time) or tracked by cell towers or any three-letter agency (insert pic here: tinfoil hat). :nyah

I use two tin cans and a string, but the audio quality suffers over long distances... :D

I went to my member profile, but can find nothing that lets me opt in to getting a hard copy. Can someone pooint me in the right direction? Is it purposely obscure, so as to discourage getting a hard copy, or am I blind?

I went to my member profile, but can find nothing that lets me opt in to getting a hard copy. Can someone pooint me in the right direction? Is it purposely obscure, so as to discourage getting a hard copy, or am I blind?

Once you're on your profile "About" page, find this section for the Anonymous Book. You must click on Edit to change the settings. Be sure and save once you've finished.

OptIn.jpg

It should not be this difficult, but it is.

Screen%20Shot%202023-10-30%20at%204.41.41%20PM-X2.png

then scroll way down to find this pull-down menu...

Screen%20Shot%202023-10-30%20at%204.43.15%20PM-XL.png

And according to what I was told *last year*... we will someday be changing all this! :)

As usual, nice graphics Ian.

A lot of the time working a menu that one only works once in a while needs some graphics. :thumb

OM

I don't leave home without it, and never have. Always within reach in the tail bag for helping hands and in a pinch, a good side stand base. Still can't believe they are making it so difficult to get it yearly. The best insurance one can have.

It should not be this difficult, but it is.

Screen%20Shot%202023-10-30%20at%204.41.41%20PM-X2.png

then scroll way down to find this pull-down menu...

Screen%20Shot%202023-10-30%20at%204.43.15%20PM-XL.png

And according to what I was told *last year*... we will someday be changing all this! :)

Thanks for the suggestions, but none of them worked. I'm on a MacBook, using Safari, as my browser. My Profile section looks very different then yours does. It contains none of the information that's in your screenshots. Yes, I was in My Profile, and the "About" tab. So, I switched to Google Chrome, and logged in. The MOA site looks dramatically different using Chrome, and it was straightforward to get to, and confirm, that I had selected the preference for a hard copy of the Anonymous Book. I'm still a bit surprised how different it was, when using Safari, and how impossible it was to even reveal those parts of My Profile.

Thanks for the suggestions, but none of them worked. I'm on a MacBook, using Safari, as my browser. My Profile section looks very different then yours does. It contains none of the information that's in your screenshots. Yes, I was in My Profile, and the "About" tab. So, I switched to Google Chrome, and logged in. The MOA site looks dramatically different using Chrome, and it was straightforward to get to, and confirm, that I had selected the preference for a hard copy of the Anonymous Book. I'm still a bit surprised how different it was, when using Safari, and how impossible it was to even reveal those parts of My Profile.

How old is your version of Safari? Most modern browsers will render close to the same with default settings but very old ones or those whose settings have been tweaked may not.

A lot is going to depend on who wrote the website and what kind of coding they used. I tend to use Windows Edge but noticed that in my family tree at Ancestry, some things just wouldn't work or display. I then used Google Chrome and those features worked just fine.

How old is your version of Safari? Most modern browsers will render close to the same with default settings but very old ones or those whose settings have been tweaked may not.

I was thinking the same. I'm on a MacBook Pro with Safari and have no problem seeing my profile. Chrome is usually automatically updated in the background, which is probably why it worked first time for the OP. That said, switching to Chrome is often the solution when working with some websites. Some of our Washington State government sites only function properly with Chrome.

Back