• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Issue with a Flea Market vendor

69zeff65

At this point in time I'm hoping this Flea Market vendor from Greensboro N.C. sees the light and does as he had stated he would do in a matter of him sending the incorrect part. I was very very clear on the exact final drive unit I was looking for and repeated that 11/32 drum brake for an R 100S application description via E-mail several times and paid a premium price to obtain this rather difficult to find unit. He sent me a 11/33 /7 unit which is a common and not a very expensive drive. Although he stated in E-mails he would "do whatever to make this right" he has so far refused to do so and our final E-mail exchange was him advising me that the part was mine which I take to mean I'm stuck with his mistake and he has my $395 and he is not a very honest Flea Market vendor. along with the $395 I'm out I am also out additional money that I spent on his word that he would "do whatever to make it right". So be very weary Flea Market patrons as there seems to be a weasel in the hen house. I guess I should have been a little leery of this individual as issues with another previous purchase from him indicated he did not have his act together. I have copies of all E-mails including the ones that should have steered me away after the first transaction.

Let us know what happens. He sent the wrong part to me, as well, but I'm reticent to send it back. Same story, he'll make things right - but he did send a really nice instrument cluster at a very good price, though not for my /6 model. I was thinking of perhaps just hanging on to it and taking it to the upcoming Antique Bike Rally, or just keep it in case I ever get an R80.

Well he might want to rethink this particular issue

I sent a USPS money order through the USPS and I would not really want to make a federal case out of this but will do what is required. He has also offered to return my money AFTER he gets the part back. Well had he advised me of that when I told him he sent the OBVIOUSLY incorrect final Drive I probably would not have committed money and a one week time frame to the purchase of the correct unit. It seems that this Flea Market Vendor from Greensboro N.C. has more than one customer who got the wrong part. He even went as far as claiming he is out $1,700 in my deal when all I asked for was a refund and $20 to ship the WRONG PART back, that is after I drain the gear oil out that was left in it after he shipped it full of old oil. I would almost think he had done that intentionally so the box would be removed from UPS and disposed of before it got to me. Looks like a Skaleewag is in our midst!!! Just make it right Richard, like you promised.

Let us know what happens. He sent the wrong part to me, as well, but I'm reticent to send it back. Same story, he'll make things right - but he did send a really nice instrument cluster at a very good price, though not for my /6 model. I was thinking of perhaps just hanging on to it and taking it to the upcoming Antique Bike Rally, or just keep it in case I ever get an R80.

Hey Weasel, My 76 r90/6's odometer just went south this am on my ride to work. My odometer went from 120k to 180k, 2 miles from my home! The tach needle was missing when I bought the bike 7 yrs ago. Let me know, I'd be interested in a good instrument cluster for a /6!

Mike H
76 R90/6
93 R100R Legend

OOPS, NEVER MIND!!!!!

Last edited:
/ mod hat on /

Please don't use the forum to make deals. Tell the individual to check their PMs and then send them a PM. We against turning the forum into a swap meet or flea market.

Thanks for doing that!

/ mod hat off /

That's the point, I need a /6 cluster, too, not a cluster from the 1980's. That's what got sent to me, a cluster from the 80's. Oddly enough, the R80 ratio is the same as for my R60, though it's green faced and not white faced. In any case, I was told it was a /6 R75 cluster - which I would have had to get recalibrated. Estimated cost to do that by Palo Alto was 275 plus whatever else was needed to rebuild it. So, you see why I'm reluctant to send the unit back. I was told that if I sent the unit back, he would refund my money plus shipping costs. That's fair enough. It was my fault. I should have asked for a photo of the cluster and I would have known right away not to buy it. He sent me a photo of what he thought was a /6 seat, but I pointed out that what he had was a /7 seat. He really didn't do me wrong - he admitted he didn't really know that much from one model to another. So, I can always use the /7 speedo unit from the cluster. The R60/6 speedo units are hard to come by.

Now he has changed his tune

Yup he just E-mailed me and told me to just send it back to get a refund. Unfortunately that's a far cry from his promise to "do what ever to make it right" that looks as though it will cost me another $100 (deposit on the correct unit) and shipping via USPS with tracking. I have no trust in the guy, that lack of trust is a direct result of his attempt to bamboozle me on this. The USPS with tracking will cost him about $65 so I guess his cost is just getting higher. Oh and I never told him about my Summer riding buddies that live out there on the West side of Pilot Mountain, I'm about due for a trip up there and into the mountains maybe I could stop by and see him. I'll have to look on a map and see how much gas and time I'll waste on that little detour. Am I correct in reading that this guy sent you a speedo and tach for an R 80/7 when you asked for one for the speedo and tach from an R 90/6? If that's true then this guy is just a thief!!!

For now, I think he just doesn't know his product well...I don't think he's a rider or long-time BMW enthusiast. I won't judge him on that. Let him try to fix things up with you is my advice. He could become a good source of parts in the end.

They aren't that tough to fix

Its usually a little plastic piece on the gear/number wheel shaft that falls apart and allows the numbers to free wheel in all different directions. There is probably a thread of some sort on this site that will give you the info to repair it yourself. I just took mine apart, figured out how it worked, asked an Air Head guru how it was supposed to work and then I fixed it. Took longer to get a hold of the Guru and get an answer than it did to fix it. Back on subject, I'll ship it back to the guy for a full refund plus what I spend on insured shipping with tracking and let you all know what he does, I suspect I will be out even more money. I certainly don't need the junk he sent me and I advise anyone against doing business with somebody like this who must have some real problems going on to be doing this here. If you want his user name and phone number I have it, he has adds up with other contact information that's slightly different too. Just PM me for that stuff.

For now, I think he just doesn't know his product well...I don't think he's a rider or long-time BMW enthusiast. I won't judge him on that. Let him try to fix things up with you is my advice. He could become a good source of parts in the end.
Nope can't do that, Fool me once shame on you, Fool me twice shame on me. You can't fix ignorant and even if you could its not my job with this guy. I will do a follow up and even apologize if the guy keeps his word and does "what ever to make it right", as of right now I'm out about $495 and he has slammed the door in my face. I stick by my previous description of him.

Nope can't do that, Fool me once shame on you, Fool me twice shame on me. You can't fix ignorant and even if you could its not my job with this guy. I will do a follow up and even apologize if the guy keeps his word and does "what ever to make it right", as of right now I'm out about $495 and he has slammed the door in my face. I stick by my previous description of him.

I understand your frustration. I had ordered a part (not from the vendor you ordered from), but from a well respected supplier in the Airhead community. I asked for a specific wiring harness for my monoshock RT, and he sent me the part for the dual shock model, which was not compatible with my bike. He never made it right, and told me it was my problem. Having a photo of the part emailed to you is not a bad idea.

Well considering I was very specific

I gave a detailed description of the final drive I was looking for along with what would be the correct ratio stamped on the housing. This vendor assured me several times via Email that that was what he had and that was what he would send. His only legitimate claim to ignorance is he choose the wrong pocket to pick. According to the E-mails we exchange prior to and during the transaction I firmly believe he has very good knowledge of Air head BMW's, knew exactly what he was sending me and knew that it was not what I had asked for or paid a premium price for. He cannot be trusted at all in my honest opinion.

If I front the money for the part and shipping prior to shipment from the seller and he sends the wrong part, the shoe is on his foot to front the money for return. Any other method is out of balance, and identifies a seller to stay away from.

Do hope you can recover most of your loss by finding another buyer.

This is a case where naming names is just stating facts for the benefit of the community. The seller has the option of defending their position.

I don't do eBay or flea market purchase without sufficient info to confirm it will do as I want. Less than that and I don't agree to purchase. For any final drive, I must have good clear pix of the drive splines and ratio numbers. Just cannot guess value with less.

I had hoped he would make this right

The sellers name is Richard Cockman, user name, rcbmw59, Email is rcbmw59@yahoo.co. There are other adds that list him as a seller but tell you to Contact Cat at vintagecatbmw@gmail.com or a telephone # (825) 279-0332. H e did eventually tell me he would refund my money only after I advised him I would notifying the USPS of possible mail fraud, I used a USPS money order and kept all our E-mails. I have already lost the correct final drive and my deposit on that due to the dishonesty from this guy. I certainly hope he does change his mind and I can report this right here. I got his home address too and may request a Man to Man apology from him.

This guy may not even be a member

Shame on me for not noticing the Vendor in question has not listed his MOA number but instead has rcbmw(0) in that slot. He may not even be an MOA member. Oh he has also planted another add on the Flea Market and his latest add is for an Air Head seat and his pictures are very suggestive that he is a member so be careful when you make contact. I have requested that the Flea Market staff take a look at this guy and find out what his real deal is. A friend of mine says he seems to remember somebody from the Greensboro N.C. who eventually stopped his E bay stuff because of consistently bad "feedback" so they call it. I may not get my $$$ back even after the Final Drive is back in his inventory but I'm pretty sure the USPS will want to have a chat with him.

We do have a forum member with that email address from Greensboro...has been a forum member for more than a year. There are other Flea Market ads from other sellers where the seller doesn't list an MOA number. That doesn't necessarily say that this particular seller is on the up-n-up. The MOA staff will have to look into the requirements to be able to post something in the Flea Market.

Thank you for the attention

At this point I have pretty much written off the $$$ I have spent but will spend another little bit to return his Final Drive with proper tracking. At that point in time he will have a little time to issue a full refund before I turn the already composed criminal complaint to the USPS. I have a close friend who is a post master here and he has offered assistance but no guarantee of a refund. I just don't want other people here to get stuck with the "Bait & Switch" and claim of "ignorance" this guy is pulling. I have had nearly a hundred Flea Market transactions and this is the first one that is just plain bad, it will more than likely be my last one though. I can't afford to give away that kind of money or spend the time on retribution.

I looked up his "one" post

We do have a forum member with that email address from Greensboro...has been a forum member for more than a year. There are other Flea Market ads from other sellers where the seller doesn't list an MOA number. That doesn't necessarily say that this particular seller is on the up-n-up. The MOA staff will have to look into the requirements to be able to post something in the Flea Market.

Yup its pretty ironic that this guy has blasted a former employer about being "dishonest" and it pretty much confirms my assertions that this guy is an experienced BMW tech and would know the stuff he is sending to customers is not what he claims it is. You gotta wonder, just where did he get these items from? and What is his connection to Vintage Cat BMW? Oh the plot thickens and maybe Richard will come clean before he's fully exposed.

At this point I have pretty much written off the $$$ I have spent but will spend another little bit to return his Final Drive with proper tracking. At that point in time he will have a little time to issue a full refund before I turn the already composed criminal complaint to the USPS. I have a close friend who is a post master here and he has offered assistance but no guarantee of a refund. I just don't want other people here to get stuck with the "Bait & Switch" and claim of "ignorance" this guy is pulling. I have had nearly a hundred Flea Market transactions and this is the first one that is just plain bad, it will more than likely be my last one though. I can't afford to give away that kind of money or spend the time on retribution.
I had a ebay "situation" once that involved a US Postal Money order & can assure you that knowing the postmaster will not help you one iota! You are up against more there than you can control. Now, if, that's IF! you can take it to national TV you might get somewhere? I was able to aid in getting the guy in jail but was lucky that he was in my same sate or would have been not doable. I simply wasted my time on USPS forms. FWIW, I also lost $100 on a USPS insured pkg. one time even though I had the paperwork as the company that was to have received the pkg. would not respond to the USPS. I remember "Hill Street Blues" Sgt. saying " it's a tough place out there, be careful"! Nice to have warned us though...

Back