• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is this standard equipment?

grendellion

Did some service on my 2004 R1150RT that I picked up a month or so ago. I was pleasantly surprised at the care the shop took of it before selling it to me but I found this toolkit under the seat. I don't think this is standard issue. It did have metric tools at least.
hd-toolkit.jpg

It appears to be a mix of standard issue and owner supplied. The T-handle are not standard issue. The vinyl case doesn't appear to be standard either.

I figured the original owner chose this tool bag for it's longevity. HD riders have to be pulling them out constantly, as I understand.

Those feeler gauges with the white and yellow handles are for setting valve lash. Should be 2 of each - non-standard for the tool kit, but keep them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My tool roll is a jumble of tools that came with an '82 R100 and my current R1100, plus a couple of things I have added over the years. I just went through and thinned it out in preparation for an upcoming trip, and couldn't remember (if I ever knew) the purpose of the angled, "tire-iron"-shaped wrench (showing in the OP's pic) that wouldn't be performed just as well with a more normal wrench of the same size.

Does anyone know?

Last edited:
In this case it is a lug wrench to remove the wheel. Only the monoshock airheads had them (85 on). The earlier Airheads had a removable axel.

In this case it is a lug wrench to remove the wheel. Only the monoshock airheads had them (85 on). The earlier Airheads had a removable axel.

Don't forget the R80G/S which was mono shock from 1981. It has an angled lug wrench in the OEM tool kit for the lug nuts.

Back