• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hwy 1 Ride to Ragged Point

tangoalpha

Greetings my fellow Moto-Brethren.

I hope you’re all doing well and enjoying the summer riding weather. Yesterday the weather here on the Central Coast was especially wonderful, so after taking a morning hike at the Pismo Beach Preserve, I decided to take a leisurely ride up Hwy 1 to Big Sur. Given that I had plans later that afternoon, I opted to ride up to Ragged Point for lunch. For those who may be unfamiliar, Ragged Point is the southern end of Big Sur as you enter the Los Padres National Forest. This section of Hwy 1 is often praised as some of the most scenic and beautiful coastline in the world.

I happen to agree with that sentiment and I’m very thankful to be fortunate enough to live less than 100 miles away. Big Sur is such a special place and I promise you that if you ever have the opportunity to ride that section of Hwy 1 up the coast to Big Sur, it will be a ride that you will never forget.

Along the way, I passed through Cambria, a charming little town surrounded by hills, beautiful pine trees along the ocean. As I pressed on, riding further up the coast I made my way to San Simeon where from Hwy 1, you can see the Hearst Castle, famous California landmark along the Central Coast, built by William Randolph Hearst, the newspaper magnate.

This section of two lane highway which hugs the coastline, is my favorite part of the ride, until you hit the twisties as you climb your way up towards Ragged Point. I’m often overwhelmed with feelings of awe and gratitude to enjoy the rustic and untamed beauty around me. Many who haven’t visited the Central Coast might imagine that this area is developed and built up, like the LA or the Bay Area, but in fact this area along the coast is anything but. It’s largely untouched, pristine, wild and beautiful beyond what you might imagine. The word majestic, seems to apply and that it certainly true the further you ride up the coast, working your way through Big Sur.

At last, I finally hit the twisties that wind their way up the hillside towards Ragged Point eventually bringing my fun to an end as I had reached my destination. I pulled in to the Ragged Point Inn & Resort for lunch where I was greeted by live music and the smell of BBQ Tri-Tip in the air. There were plenty of cool bikes and cars there to admire as this is a favorite spot among us locals and tourists alike to fuel up, grab a bite to eat, walk the grounds as you take in the sights or perhaps spend the night at the resort.

After enjoying the live music and a very satisfying lunch, it was time to make my way home, which I did. By this time of day, there were a lot of riders on the road enjoying the weather on their way to or from their destination. It was a great day…a wonderful ride to a very special place, so I thought I’d share just a few pics that you might enjoy of my afternoon outing.
ea8379ae645d57a537c77abf25b8f960.jpg

ebb23d5de7c0387539cc9b667ef526f5.jpg

9d20ba259d3cdb685b77b4bf61bbf6fc.jpg

aef86f90eb2cef94e50a11c17a22badc.jpg

731ab13d1a250c64bb60dc97dfc881fd.jpg

6a1194b5c4f485d4182faef744ea2ca7.jpg

4d0e4c502a2e66c7ba95eb9a3e4d5e66.jpg

c55712c514f4f32eb7f7ff5001db9ca0.jpg

Ride safe everyone!

Sounds like a nice ride, indeed!

Just one man's opinion: although BMW certainly improves their bikes with succeeding models, the R1150RT is to my eye one of the very best looking of the RT family.

Sounds like a nice ride, indeed!

Just one man's opinion: although BMW certainly improves their bikes with succeeding models, the R1150RT is to my eye one of the very best looking of the RT family.

Thanks Stooie. We appear to have similar taste when it comes to styling. The RT generation that immediately followed, beginning in 2005 had a number of improvements over my bike, but I still prefer the voluptuous styling of my RT. Many times I’ve wondered, who the Chief Designer was for the for the R1100/R1150RT and what influence he/she had over the next generation that followed, if any. The RT styling that was introduced in 2005 was wildly dissimilar and has somewhat of a Transformer robot look to it. Cool, in its own way and lots of upgrades, including larger storage capacity, electronic cruise control, higher engine displacement, etc. I still prefer my old RT though.

During a couple of my stops on Saturday while my bike was sitting parked, 3 different couples approached me to comment on how beautiful they thought my bike was. One comment came from a woman while her husband just stood and nodded in agreement. Another gentlemen approached me and we engaged in about a 10-15 minute conversation. Turns out he used to own the exact bike many years ago and as it turns out he still has new saddle bag lids in his garage which he offered me free of charge. Nice guy!

It’s cool that something such as motorcycle design can have broad appeal, to even non-riders who appreciate and comment on the styling. I do rather enjoy feedback, chatting with folks as they pass by or engaging for a few minutes of conversation to talk about the bike. 20 years later…the ole’ RT is still turning heads. Wish that I could say the same. The RT photographs much better than I do. [emoji23]

Thanks for the comment Stooie. I hope you have a great week. Ride often and ride safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice ride report! Did you see walruses? How did you like the blind rises and drops? Such a great road from Ragged Point to Cambria.

Last time I road at dawn from Watsonville to Cambria for breakfast there were a bunch of walruses on a small beach north of San Simeon.

The Ragged Point hotel and restaurant is a cool place to stop. I have stayed there a few times over the years.

Nice ride report! Did you see walruses? How did you like the blind rises and drops? Such a great road from Ragged Point to Cambria.

Last time I road at dawn from Watsonville to Cambria for breakfast there were a bunch of walruses on a small beach north of San Simeon.

The Ragged Point hotel and restaurant is a cool place to stop. I have stayed there a few times over the years.

Yes, you’re right there are a few blind rises and drops along the way. I always pay extra close attention to any vehicles that may be coming from the other direction as those are conditions where vehicles may find themselves over the line and in your lane. You really need to control your speed through there. That said, if you go at a comfortable and leisurely pace, it’s a wonderful ride.

I didn’t see any Walruses however there is a huge Elephant Seal observation area. Could that be what you’re referring to? Some of the males can weigh as much as 5,000 pounds and reach a length of 16 feet long. They show up on the beach a few times a year, often in the thousands. It’s really quite something to see. Here’s a link on the Elephant Seal Observation Area. https://visitsansimeonca.com/what-...NqNQdFbKKQNLClRI4CXJMPJOhn_CXStRoCmwoQAvD_BwE

Love that first photo of your bike in front of the water. Beautiful.

Thanks Chiba. That photo is the obligatory beauty shot. Ironically, I wasn’t going to take any photos. It was foggy along the coast during my ride which broke up a little as I made my return trip. That section along the coast is beautiful, but I’ve taken photos there in years past so I was content to press on without taking photos.

Then, I thought about you guys, the MOA members who often include ride photos for everyone’s interest in their posts. After passing a few vistas I forced myself off the highway and took those photos along the coast. As I did it, I was thinking about the many wonderful members who’ve helped me over the past few years, giving me advice, tips and tricks and even offered me parts to keep that old RT on the road. After reading and responding to many of my posts, I thought they might enjoy seeing a few photos of Der Beemer looking its best.

So that’s a brief story on the photo that almost didn’t happen. After reading the responses like yours, I’m glad that I did.

Ride safe…ride often.

Yes, you’re right there are a few blind rises and drops along the way. I always pay extra close attention to any vehicles that may be coming from the other direction as those are conditions where vehicles may find themselves over the line and in your lane. You really need to control your speed through there. That said, if you go at a comfortable and leisurely pace, it’s a wonderful ride.

I didn’t see any Walruses however there is a huge Elephant Seal observation area. Could that be what you’re referring to? Some of the males can weigh as much as 5,000 pounds and reach a length of 16 feet long. They show up on the beach a few times a year, often in the thousands. It’s really quite something to see. Here’s a link on the Elephant Seal Observation Area. https://visitsansimeonca.com/what-...NqNQdFbKKQNLClRI4CXJMPJOhn_CXStRoCmwoQAvD_BwE

Indeed, elephant seals :)

You would think I would know being that Ano Nuevo is just up the coast from me!

Back