• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cam + Valve Tools

gregu

Greetings All - For a 2020 R1250RT...I am wrestling to decide about cam timing and valve adjustment tools here on the west coast. I checked clearances at 12k and all 8 within tolerance but 6 could be closer to target. Options:
1. Ride to east coast and meet Boxflyer at a free event or rent his tools at approx. $400 plus shipping.
(Don't see any west coast members with tools to rent/share based on my limited web expertise.)
2. Trailer to dealer (85 miles 1 -way) and pay $150 to inspect valve clearance and $150 to adjust. No comment if this includes cam and chain adjustment.
3. Buy jigs and tensioner from Max BMW and shims online at ~$500. (I have everything else.)
If I ride the bike to 50k, my unknown is how many times I could need to adjust the cams and re-shim the clearances.
My questions for the wethead/shifthead high mile members based on the number of times you actually have needed to adjust:
1. Buy/build tools or have dealer adjust?
2. Any members in CA have the jig/tensioner? PM me?
Thanks for your input, Greg

I have a 2018 and a couple of friends ride same RT years. So I ordered all the tools. That was March, got everything but the cam chain tensioner tool, which they say will be in around Christmas (yes I ordered in March of 2023!). I am told I am 125 or 123 on the list of 200 being made sometime in some year?? I have no doubt Boxflyer knows what he is doing, but his tool in not quite the same as BMW tool, but will work the same. I think the mother ship doesn't really want us to do our own maintenance on these bikes, but I figured for a $500-600 investment I could save it in the long run at $1200 per 12K service. JMO

tools

I have a 2019 R1250RT. My choice was to drive hundreds of miles for service... and pay hundreds of dollars. I bought all the tools. I can do the work myself. Boxflyer's videos are great! I am in Las Cruces, NM - a bit of a drive from CA.

I have a 2019 R1250RT. My choice was to drive hundreds of miles for service... and pay hundreds of dollars. I bought all the tools. I can do the work myself. Boxflyer's videos are great! I am in Las Cruces, NM - a bit of a drive from CA.

Did he put his videos back to public ? He had taken all of the valve related ones down last month.

I ordered my timing tools and cam tool in September

The Cam Timing YouTube videos are back online and were back up about 3 days after I needed to revise them.

Today...I transferred my inventory of tools and production to a Full fledged CNC Machine Shop...

Boxflyer Cam Timing Tools will be available for sale thru this outlet very soon...

Stand by for specific details.

36K service

Just completed my 36,000 mile service today. Valve lash was in spec for all intake/exhaust valves. However, I did correct the cam alignment/timing for both the right and left side intake/exhaust cams.

edit: Cams are now aligned and in time. Should I expect a noticeable difference in the way the bike runs? Smoother?

Last edited:
The Cam Timing YouTube videos are back online and were back up about 3 days after I needed to revise them.

Today...I transferred my inventory of tools and production to a Full fledged CNC Machine Shop...

Boxflyer Cam Timing Tools will be available for sale thru this outlet very soon...

Stand by for specific details.
Hello. Are these available yet? I'd like to do my clearance adjustments before spring and like many here I'm a long way from a dealership. Thanks.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 85ED8507-D905-4964-83FD-9A373A9A0AAA.png
    85ED8507-D905-4964-83FD-9A373A9A0AAA.png
    1 MB · Views: 13
Back