• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Honest assessment, riding like an a**?

Just wanted to provide the final disposition of this incident. Hired a lawyer, dropped the charge to a non-moving violation. All in, between lawyer and fines, around 1500 bucks. Fine was a bit higher for the non-moving violation, and the lawyer fees, of course, weren't cheap.

All told, good learning experience, slow down, be more aware and, find the right attorney if you're in this situation. Called a few who said "we can get it dropped to a lower speeding ticket". Then I found one who said they could get it "gone" for the right price. And gone it now is, never happened.

What a system. You only have to have a few experiences like this before you start to sympathize with those who espouse the "eat the rich" viewpoint. So ridiculously unfair, but, hey, worked out in my favor this time (certainly didn't when I was younger, poor and couldn't afford an attorney for this kind of issue). Speeding (and a few other victimless crimes) are just so open for abuse, when nobody cares (in fact, nobody even knows other than you and the police officer) you've committed a crime it's just open to this kind of "disappearing" for the right price.

Guess I suffered enough as a young/poor kid in the system, now it's my time to be "that guy" who buys his way out of trouble. Hopefully this will be the last time I need to do it, trying to be much more mindful of the speed signs (so at least I know when I'm over!). I did install a radar detector (Valentine 1) and am running a great app called JBV1; perhaps the best feature, it announces speed limit changes and also displays heat maps for radar traps. Very, very helpful, and absolutely would have prevented my 1000+ dollar education.

I remember getting more speeding tickets after I started using a detector than before. Gave me a false sense of security. Found they are not foolproof the hard way. What finally worked for me was slowing down. Who woulda thunk. Good luck in the future with yours.

Yeah, radar detectors give you a false sense of security, so you actually speed more, and the detectors of course don't prevent every instance, so you still get a ticket at times. And for some people they can also be another distraction they don't need.

Back