• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hex EzCan Update & resulting issues

jgoertz

If you have a Gen1 EzCan, there may be an update to the firmware. I found it after adding a set of Denali DRL's to my R1200RT (LC). I installed the DRL's, mounting them on the fender. I connected them to the EzCan "White" circuit, configured as a general aux circuit. (Plenty of power in this circuit for the B6 DRL's). By default, tho', this circuit stays on for 10s after shutting off the ignition. I wanted them to shut off with the ignition. Simple, right? Hook up the computer to the EzCan, open the EzCan configuration app, and change the timing setting (the only configurable parameter on the white circuit. No problem!

When I opened the app, I received a message that my EzCan's firmware needed updating, but first I had to register it with Hex.com. No problem, but I had registered it back in 2018 when I originally installed it. I re-entered the registration info, verified my e-mail address, and restarted the app. Firmware downloaded/updated without problem. I made my changes, and none of my lights were working now. Back to the drawing board. Reopened the app. This time the app said that with this version of the firmware, I needed to update the app. Okay, logged onto the Hex site and downloaded a new version of the EzCan configuration app. Opened it, and saw my settings were now all different for all my lights. (I have a set of Denalli running lights, brake lights, and DRL's). Still no lights. I reset all settings to the defaults, applied the defaults, then reset everything as I wanted. Finally! Success! All lights seem to be working as I want (I didn't check the "California-Legal flashing", but I assume they work again).

Some background:
Version 1*, Hex EzCan purchased @ MOA-Rally, Salt Lake City
Denali DR1, mounted under the mirrors, each light on a separate EzCan circuit
Denali B6 auxiliary brakelights & pods, configured to flash "California Legal" and to flash when engine braking suddenly
Denali DRL's auxiliary running lights, mounted low on the front fender, connected to the EzCan auxiliary circuit

*Version 1 uses "2-wire" connectors, has 4 circuits, 2 hi-power and 2 lo-power.
*Version 2 uses "2-wire" or "3-wire" connectors, and each of the 4 circuits is hi-power

I thought this was supposed to make it easy?

This is one of the reasons I bypassed the whole "can opener" thing and just installed a PDM60 connected directly to the battery. Sure, I can't control accessories from the wonderwheel but most everything I put on the bike doesn't need, or offer, adjustment.

Ski

This is one of the reasons I bypassed the whole "can opener" thing and just installed a PDM60 connected directly to the battery. Sure, I can't control accessories from the wonderwheel but most everything I put on the bike doesn't need, or offer, adjustment.

Ski

Not to worry. I don't even own a bike with a wonderwheel.

I tried to update my Gen 1 EZCan as well.

Downloaded the new Firmware to my Laptop just fine.

Connected EZCan to Laptop and initiated Update - Got an error message halfway through.

Nothing worked. no green LED on EZCan, Red/White flashing LED instead.

Advised HEX, sent Logs etc

Hex sent an older edition of the Firmware to try.

Downloaded and tried upload to EZCan - same result

Sent Logs to HEX

Awaiting further instructions.

Connected EZCan to Laptop and initiated Update - Got an error message halfway through.

Sent Logs to HEX

I had the PC connected to the EzCan during the download/update process. EzCan updated w/o problem. Downloaded the new version of the configuration application. I reset the EzCan to its defaults (one of the options on the configuration menu, upper right corner IIRC). All accessories now worked. Reset the options as I wanted. All accessories now worked as I wanted. Buttoned up the seats, and now I'm waiting for the "Stay at home" order to lift so I can go ride/enjoy my RT.

Sent Logs to HEX

Another Email, a different Engineer this time, another software version, another try, same results - awaiting further instruction

Any idea when the new firmware was released? Does it also apply to the Denali branded variation?

Thanks

Nevermind, the answer is yes. Released 3/31/2020. v2003.2

https://denalielectronics.com/pages/denali-cansmart-canbus-controller

My Denali CANsmart updated without problems (but technically I'm using the HEX software).

Now I just need to get use to not using the info button to switch through the instant mpg/average mpg/temp/etc. so fast! (Which disables or enables both sets of lights without having to hook the bike up to the computer)

Hex turned me over to Twisted Throttle to obtain a replacement under warranty.

A note was sent to Twisted Throttle on Friday, no response yet.

Hex turned me over to Twisted Throttle to obtain a replacement under warranty.

A note was sent to Twisted Throttle on Friday, no response yet.

When you get your answer from Twisted Throttle, ask them to update the software for you! May save you some headaches.

Back