• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Accessory Manager…Denali or HEX EZcan?

collingsbob

The 1300 is the first bike I have ever owned that apparently requires an accessory manager.
It seems that there are 3 to choose from the Canopener from Clearwater, the HEX EZcan Mojave from Hex and the Denali CanSmart accessory manager. I have already purchased a pair of Denali D3’s ..I think the Denali B6 brake light looks good.

I really like the Denali DialDim which allows me to run the D3’s at 15% during the day, then have them switch to full brightness automatically when I switch the headlights to high beam, but I don’t think that product allows for integration of the brake light/accessory horn etc..

My Question is - any significant differences between the HEX product and Denali product for my intended use?

I think Hex makes the Denali CanSmart. At least they used to. I checked both out, back in '16. Only slight differences then -- CanSmart used a three-wire connector, EzCan a two-wire setup. I opted for the EzCan, as it was on sale at one of the Rallies (Salt Lake, maybe?). When the Gen 1 EzCan failed after years of flawless service, I replaced it with a Gen 2 EzCan. The Gen 2 EzCan now used three-wire connectors! I had to rewire all my farkles! It was a great excuse to by a new solder gun. All in all, I've been happy with the EzCan, and Hex has been very quick to answer any and all my questions as they arose. I even got same day turnaround, even tho' they said they were on a 3 day holiday (and I e-mailed on day 2). I'm a very happy customer of Hex.

Forgot to mention -- my farkles include a set of Denali Auxiliary Lights (DR1's, I think), 3 B6 Brakelight bars (one on either side of my tag, one below), a pair of DRL's (Amber, mounted on the lower forks), and a Denali Mini-Soundbomb horn. All Farkles controlled by the Hex EzCan.

Last edited:
I currently have three bikes with ezCANs installed. They make installation and control of accessories neat, easy and effective. There was a period a few years ago when ezCANs were having issues. Had to do with the potting material, in which the electronics are embedded, was cracking in cold conditions and causing failures. That was corrected and I haven’t heard of any failures in the past three years or so.

No experience with other brands, so I can’t answer your original question.

I currently have three bikes with ezCANs installed. They make installation and control of accessories neat, easy and effective. There was a period a few years ago when ezCANs were having issues. Had to do with the potting material, in which the electronics are embedded, was cracking in cold conditions and causing failures. That was corrected and I haven’t heard of any failures in the past three years or so.

No experience with other brands, so I can’t answer your original question.
That's what killed my Gen 1 EzCan.

I have Denali D3s, but use a Hex EzCan. My understanding is Hex is still supplying Denali's device (if I'm wrong, someone will correct me). I saw no reason to not buy directly from the manufacturer, i.e., the one with the original programming team who can quickly update firmware to fix problems and add features. I do not have any idea whether Denali has the same capability or instead relies on Hex. To be clear: I'm probably biased, *not* against Denali, but toward Hex as a very satisfied Hex GS911 user for years.

Afternoon.
I Have EZcan and understand the Hex makes both. The EZcan I purchased did not come with electrical wires but did come with generic connectors. The Denali at the time (early last year) did come with wires and matching connectors. The Denali version cost more but would have been easier.
The EZcan was a little more involved and wires had to be purchased and connected. EZcan works great. Using white and yellow LED lights and Denali B6 brake light.
2022 F750GS Low

I called the dealer - Dual Sport Plus in Brantford, Ontario to ask if either the HEX or the Denali was truly plug and play with Denali lights..I await their reply with breathless anticipation.

Back