• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Denali Light Installation - Tank Removal Question/Help

itznuthin

I have a 2023 R1250 GSA. I just purchased a Denali CanSmart controller, D3 driving lights, Sound Bomb horn, and auxiliary brake lights. I have found a dearth of information showing what I need to do to install the lights on my GSA, and the instructions that come from Denali are generic. One excellent source of bike-specific information I've found is a YouTube video by "A BIKE THING". Very thorough video. In it, he describes how I need to remove essentially all the panels in the front of the bike and the panels around the gas tank, the seat height adjuster, etc. This I can probably do with little damage done on my part. However, he also indicates I need to remove the tank. This involves pulling out multiple hoses, electrical connections, gas lines, etc. I'm sure many of you would find this easy and may say to me that it's not as bad as I think, but believe me, it is way beyond my skill level (there are stories I could tell you to prove this - would probably make you laugh), and I know I will have an inoperable bike sitting in my garage if I attempt to do this.

The YouTuber is a professional installer, so I am hoping there are other ways to run the wiring from the front of the bike back to the CanSmart that don't require gas tank removal. Can those of you who had installed lighting and routed cables back to the controller give me any advice? Are there other safe and reliable ways to route the cables that don't include removing the tank? If that has to be done I'm going to need to come up with a bunch of money to take it to my dealer (3 hours away) and probably leave it there overnight. Really hoping this isn't the case.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Don

Don, I installed Clearwaters on my RT. I shall assume that Clearwater vs. Denali are somewhat similar. I removed all the Tupperware and cleanly installed all the wiring. I did NOT remove the tank. (I have removed the tank - it is not that difficult - for a new front shock installation, but that is another story.) You will NOT need to remove your tank, either. I likely have many photos of my Clearwater installation, may try to post some this evening. Presently, I have to get ready to meet my account, hence the delay.

Last edited:
I didn't remove the tank to install the Clearwater lights Darla/Erica on my 2018 GSA and the bikes are the same except for the engine. it is a bit fiddly but doable.. YMMV

1. Remove seat/seats. Remove battery covers. Remove all panels (tupperware) that cover the tank. It is claimed that one can snake the wires through underneath the tupperware; do NOT do it that way. There are many videos that demonstrate removing panels/tank cover so I'll just show a bare nekkid tank.
Wires go in this groove in the tank:
1 (1).jpeg
Temporarily position with tape:
4 (2).jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the Great Help

I would like to thank everyone who replied to my post. I have gone from wondering whether I could do this to feeling very confident that I can. I got great information and feel I have a clear path to getting this done with confidence. Thanks again to everyone. Regards, Don

P.S. Other than my stupid Torx stipping problem I've gotten myself into if you've seen my recent post.

Back