• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Installing Auxiliary Brake Light on 2023 R1250GSA - How to Run the Wires

itznuthin

I purchased an auxiliary Denali brake light to put on my GSA. The brake light fits below the license plate using the lower license plate bolts. I need to run the wire from the auxiliary brake light up to the CanSmart I've installed under the rear seat. However, there is no gap or hole under the seat that will allow me to run the wires. I've attached a picture.

It looks like I will have to drill a pretty good-sized hole in the plastic through which I would run the wires. Definitely don't want to do this unless I have no alternative. If anyone has installed an auxiliary brake light on a recent model GS/GSA, how did you run the wires to the brake light?

Thanks, Don

GSA Rear Seat Area.jpg

I installed the same brake light on my 2018 GS. Not wanting to drill a hole, I ran the wiring along the left side of the frame up to the front part of the plastic tray then back to connect to the Hex EzCan. I tried to take a photo, but it did not come out well due to the rear carrier being installed. If you go this route, keep the zip ties loose a first and test fit the carrier. The wiring needs to be at the bottom of the frame rail or the carrier will not fit properly. I know this is kind of a short description, but I hope it helps.

Remove the 2 T30 torx screws on the underside holding the license plate onto the frame (yellow circles). Gently pull the entire assembly including the license plate and turn signals towards the back (red arrows). It will pivot down on two tabs (white circles). There’s enough gap around the holes for the tabs to thread the brake light wires. You can zip tie or hot glue the wires under the fender or behind the license plate bracket. I just finished installing the Innov K3 rear camera on the reflector following Steve’s (A Bike Thing) directions and routed the wires through that hole.

92c1e55b0838c24ebdb2c76332ceefe6.jpg

Remove the 2 T30 torx screws on the underside holding the license plate onto the frame (yellow circles). Gently pull the entire assembly including the license plate and turn signals towards the back (red arrows). It will pivot down on two tabs (white circles). There’s enough gap around the holes for the tabs to thread the brake light wires. You can zip tie or hot glue the wires under the fender or behind the license plate bracket. I just finished installing the Innov K3 rear camera on the reflector following Steve’s (A Bike Thing) directions and routed the wires through that hole.

That seems like a better way to route the wires.

Thanks! Worked Great

92c1e55b0838c24ebdb2c76332ceefe6.jpg

I was able to use this approach to run the wires. I didn't realize there was a separate plate that could be removed. I was able to run the Denali wires alongside the BMW brake wires. Thanks for your advice. Don

Just wanted to add some more info...

Since I am installing a trailer hitch, Innovv camera etc., I need a bigger hole to pass all the wires. So, here's what I've done

When you flip down the license plate assembly, you'll see a covered area that keeps all the dirt out. It is a fairly sizable area that is empty space and can be used for a variety of things. As you see in the picture below, my rear camera is installed on the reflector and protrudes inside that area where most of the length of the wires will be wrapped and tucked. There are 2 x 1/4" holes that are already available for pass through. If needed, you can make them a little bigger. I widened them to pass the trailer electrical harness through.

i-h9gSdBJ-X2.jpg

i-JtFBVNx-X2.jpg

i-PbnhKtz-X2.jpg

i-wx5ckFj-X2.jpg

Then, when you clear the space at the tail end, there's enough room to drill a hole to pass the wires down. I used a 1" hole saw (smallest one that I have in my tool box). I figured that the hole would be bid enough for me to push some of the other electronics into that cubby below and save on the space above.

i-ZGGSvC8-X2.jpg

i-hBf8XSN-X2.jpg

Hope this helps. I plan to ride it this way for bit and then come back to check how much dirt/water may be entering. If needed, I can always add some silicone/hot glue to seal the holes.

Back