• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2023 R1250GSA without LED Headlight

I picked up my 2023 R1250GSA on December 23, 2022 from a dealer in Cleveland, and had the same experience. A halogen headlight, a $500 discount on the invoice to compensate, and the dealer saying he'd heard the lights would be replaced for that $500 + labor when the LEDs were available again likely in spring 2023. I'm irritated about it, but on the scale of things to be irritated about in the last few years this is pretty low. And there's plenty of other things to like about the bike too. I'll have to see what the total cost is to go LED if/when they're available before I decide if I want it. Now if the snow will stop for a bit so I can get some miles on it!

invoice.jpeg

I picked up my 2023 R1250GSA on December 23, 2022 from a dealer in Cleveland, and had the same experience. A halogen headlight, a $500 discount on the invoice to compensate, and the dealer saying he'd heard the lights would be replaced for that $500 + labor when the LEDs were available again likely in spring 2023. I'm irritated about it, but on the scale of things to be irritated about in the last few years this is pretty low. And there's plenty of other things to like about the bike too. I'll have to see what the total cost is to go LED if/when they're available before I decide if I want it. Now if the snow will stop for a bit so I can get some miles on it!

The first thing that popped out for me is this is a "Low Suspension" bike and the seat height is STILL 35-35.8"... geez..

Purchased my 1250 GSA in November with the Halogen primary lights which I’m OK with considering that is what my prior bike had. I was focused on getting ESA which this one had but all others at the dealership did not. Looking over the selection at three dealerships the equipment lists were all over the board. As one Sales Manager told me: with supply shortages the factory keeps running short on sub-assemblies from their vendors. They then are forced to decide to substitute “optional” equipment or just stop building bikes. As long as they can find an alternative set up that is possible they will use it and keep the line running while just adjusting price. I’m not surprised by any business going that route.

An update from my friend, dealer said the LED would be available third quarter 2023. Still $750 CAD and he must return the halogen headlight assembly.

Was at my dealer in Charlotte on Thursday and no update. Said $500 off price but not sure what will happen when the LEDs are available. There appears to be inconsistency across dealers here in the US.

I went into BMW of Riverside, CA mid January 2023 and they had one single bike out of maybe 8 that had ESA and Adaptive LED. I was already aware of the Halogen issue so I snatched it up immediately. It had just arrived so somehow bikes sporadically are arriving with and without halogens, you just really have to search for them.

3067D608-77B6-45BE-B48B-4750DACD689F.jpg

Was in my local dealer, here in Canada, last week. The one 2023 GSA that's been on the floor since before Christmas - and has the halogen headlight - was still there. But, there were three additional 2023 GSA's now on the floor, all of which had the adaptive LED headlight. So, it would seem that the supply shortage has been resolved (or maybe just partially, who knows?). One of the sales guy's mention that there was supposed to be some sort of retrofit program for those buying a bile with a halogen headlight. It may just be me, but I wouldn't buy a brand new 2023 model GS/GSA without the LED headlight. I know I'd never trust vague promises from the dealer about what might happen somewhere down the line, not to mention the pain in the rear that this would entail, if/when such a retrofit program appears.

A friend of mine is taking delivery of his 2023 1250 gsa Trophy this week with halogen headlights. When he signed for it he got a $750 reduction on the purchase price and when the LEDs are available, will get it for the same $750 cost, installation included. Retail price for the LED assembly is $3170 CAD.

So a dealer in CO just a few days ago told me something fairly similar, but different. They give a $500 reduction in the purchase price when you get the halogen, and when the LED is available you get upgraded for the $500 you need to give them back. That is what he told me their cost is. Note, we are talking about LED, not the adaptive LED which is the higher price you are mentioning. You don't get upgraded to the adaptive setup.

Anyway, that's another version.... Take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:
I'm hoping that this gets resolved before the riding season starts in PA.

Wait--you mean there's a NOT riding season in PA? I didn't get that memo. I've been able to scratch out 1987 miles on the 2023 RT I got from Hermy's in the middle of January.

Anyone Heard Anything Recently re 2023 R1250GSA Headlight

I was wondering if anyone had heard anything new regarding replacing the halogen headlights delivered with some of the 2023 R1250GSA's. I'm hoping that someone knows of someone who has either received the updated headlight or has been notified of pending delivery. I really hope that BMW doesn't forget about this with all that's going on (i.e., the new GSA they are working on). If you have any information I would truly be interested in what you've heard.

They are available to order via your dealer. Might be back ordered but they are being installed as we speak, or write.

They are available to order via your dealer. Might be back ordered but they are being installed as we speak, or write.

Thanks, I was assuming I would be contacted - naive on my part. Called my dealer. They said they can be ordered at this point and they have some on order. Said they aren't easy to get, but they put me on the list. Really happy this is finally moving forward.

Led r1250gs

Thanks, I was assuming I would be contacted - naive on my part. Called my dealer. They said they can be ordered at this point and they have some on order. Said they aren't easy to get, but they put me on the list. Really happy this is finally moving forward.

I purchased a '23 R1250GS yesterday and the sticker has a $500 credit due to halogen. For $500 including labor, dealer is replacing with non-adaptive LED headlight for delivery.

What did they tell you the cost was going to be? I also have a 2023 R1250GS Adventure that came with halogen lights.

I just returned from my dealer, and I was told that I would have to pay full price (over $2,500) if I wanted to get the spec LED Headlights.

They did tell me that they would reach out to BMW to find out if there is a program for owners of bikes without the proper LED headlights.

I still believe I will receive the LED lights at not charge or I'm done with BMW

What did they tell you the cost was going to be? I also have a 2023 R1250GS Adventure that came with halogen lights.

I just returned from my dealer, and I was told that I would have to pay full price (over $2,500) if I wanted to get the spec LED Headlights.

They did tell me that they would reach out to BMW to find out if there is a program for owners of bikes without the proper LED headlights.

This is not what I have heard, and this will literally be the end of my 25 years of buying BMW's if they stiff me on this. When I called my dealer I stated that I was one of the '23 GSAs that came temporarily with a halogen headlight and I wanted to know if the LEDs are available yet. When she said yes I only asked what it would cost to install because it was my understanding that the $500 discount I received when I bought the bike was to compensate for the installation which I would have to pay out of pocket. She told me it was a 2-3 hour job. I didn't ask specifically if I was to pay for the LED light, and she didn't give me a price. It's highly unusual when I order something, especially something expensive, that they don't even mention the price I would be charged, so I don't think they are going to charge me for the light. If they plan to charge me I'll cancel the order.

I'll be at the BMWMOA national rally next month and both BMW and my dealer will be there. I'll ask at the rally.

This is not what I have heard, and this will literally be the end of my 25 years of buying BMW's if they stiff me on this. When I called my dealer I stated that I was one of the '23 GSAs that came temporarily with a halogen headlight and I wanted to know if the LEDs are available yet. When she said yes I only asked what it would cost to install because it was my understanding that the $500 discount I received when I bought the bike was to compensate for the installation which I would have to pay out of pocket. She told me it was a 2-3 hour job. I didn't ask specifically if I was to pay for the LED light, and she didn't give me a price. It's highly unusual when I order something, especially something expensive, that they don't even mention the price I would be charged, so I don't think they are going to charge me for the light. If they plan to charge me I'll cancel the order.

I'll be at the BMWMOA national rally next month and both BMW and my dealer will be there. I'll ask at the rally.

I bought my first BMW in 1995 (K75S). Being a premium brand, I have always expected above average customer service from both the dealer and BMW.....I must say I have been disappointed more than once.

This confirms my understanding

I purchased a '23 R1250GS yesterday and the sticker has a $500 credit due to halogen. For $500 including labor, dealer is replacing with non-adaptive LED headlight for delivery.

This confirms my understanding. I can't imagine the dealer is providing the headlight out of their own funds - it would be too expensive. This makes me believe that BMW is providing the light, so I do expect that I will not be charged for the light, but I will have to pay for installation whether it is over or under the $500 discount.

This confirms my understanding. I can't imagine the dealer is providing the headlight out of their own funds - it would be too expensive. This makes me believe that BMW is providing the light, so I do expect that I will not be charged for the light, but I will have to pay for installation whether it is over or under the $500 discount.

I sure hope that is how it will work for me.

Back