• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

No Brake Signal - Hex ezCan

bentibbs

2018 R1200GS Rallye

Good Morning. I've having an issue and need a bit of help. In 2018 I installed the Hex ezCan to control my Weiser 2 in 1 turn signal and brake lights. The system worked flawlessly until just a couple of days ago when I noticed the rear brake lights were not working. Turn signals work, no problems. Front running lights work, no problem. Factory brake light works, no problem. Chased the wires, no problems. Used a jump wire and tested the Weiser brake light lead at the ezCan connector, no problem, lights work perfectly.

Plugged the ezCan in to my computer, updated the firmware and app. Tested the circuit in the diagnostic page in the app, brake lights worked. Thought all was good. Went to test to make sure the lights were working, got nothing but the factory brake light. So, went back into the app, tested the circuit and got nothing. So, either the ezCan isn't getting a signal from the bike or the ezCan isn't sending the signal to the lights. I suspect the ezCan, since the factory light is working.

I sent an email to Hex asking for help. Wondering, if any of you guys have any thoughts?

Thanks.

Ben

I had a similar problem last October, my ezcan was of the same vintage as yours. It turned out to be the Ezcan, was replaced by Ted Porters Beemer Shop where I had purchased it in 2018.

Have you been riding in "cold" near/below freezing temperatures? Has the bike been in freezing temperatures?

Failure of a single EZCan function has been a symptom of soon to be total EZCan failure for me.

I ask about cold because there has been a known issue with the potting compound used in pre-2020 EZCan units which cracked circuit boards when cold.

The good news is that HEX seems to stand behind their products and has replaced many failed units.

Have you been riding in "cold" near/below freezing temperatures? Has the bike been in freezing temperatures?

Failure of a single EZCan function has been a symptom of soon to be total EZCan failure for me.

I ask about cold because there has been a known issue with the potting compound used in pre-2020 EZCan units which cracked circuit boards when cold.

The good news is that HEX seems to stand behind their products and has replaced many failed units.

Thank you. I have been riding it in the cold, below freezing when we started out a few days. I hope ezCan will replace. I sent them an email.

Hex EzCan is a responsive company, but don't replace units forever. I had an early pre '20 Gen I EzCan that started giving problems on the way to Great Falls. It completely gave up the ghost shortly after returning to AL. I had purchased this unit for Ted Porter @ the Salt Lake BMWMOA rally. I think I was 2 years out of warranty when my Gen I unit failed. Hex gave me some things I could try to do a full reset (no luck), but said if this didn't work I would have to buy a new unit. Ted gave me the same story. I purchased/installed a new Gen II unit -- also from Ted -- and it is working perfectly! Maybe I'll get more than 5 years out of this unit.

I hope you do get a free replacement but I didn't (nor did I expect to get a replacement of a unit 2 years out of warranty).

Back