• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Harley Davidson Motorcycle Oil

cooling is the key

As I recall ,from a tech session ,(I believe with Paul Glaves) the major area of distinctions in motorcycle oils is the fact that there is a major difference in those that are formulated for air cooled engines; therefore, on this basis, it would appear that the HD oil would be more suitable for a BMW (that was air or air/oil cooled) than a automotive oil or one designed for a liquid cooled system...wj

"Harley" brand oil? Dino or Syn III? (the III in Syn III means it goes in all three cavities, ie engine, gear box and primary chain case) It really doesn't matter, but Mobil 1 15W50 is "better" oil than Syn III or HD dino.

The only reason not to use automobile oil in a motorcycle is if it has energy conserving, friction modifiers as noted in the SAE stamp on the label, *if* your bike has a *wet clutch* because they cause slippage.

Motorcycle specific oils state they have better shear resistance qualities than automobile motor oil, again, for bikes with a unitised gear-boxes, not pre-units. I agree, that's a bunch of nonsense re motorcycle specific seals etc. as there are too many multiple millions if not billions of miles put on hundreds of thousands of motorcycles all over the world using automobile oil, with no ill effects. Some people feel better spending more money on oil, that's their right, but the oil is no better than other premium oils that cost 1/2 the amount. V-twin specific motor oils are the biggest rip-off of all motorcycle specific oils.

I've recently converted to using Castrol Syntec 5W50 from many faithful and trouble free years of using M1 15W50 in my unitised gear box, wet clutch bike, and have been using M1 15W50 in my K75 for 10's of thousands of trouble free miles.

My 2 cents, not gospel, YMMV.

Correct me if I am wrong.

I seem to recall and BMW recommends motorcycle oil, and it should be rated no higher than SG. Higher rates were a no-no.

and i'll quote that article:

"Bottom Line

It could appear from this data, then, that there is no validity to the constantly-used argument that motorcycle-specific oils provide superior lubrication to automotive oils when used in a motorcycle. If the viscosity drop is the only criterion, then there is certainly no reason to spend the extra money on oil specifically designed for motorcycles. There does, however, appear to be a legitimate argument for using synthetic and synthetic-blend oils over the petroleum based products. "

it's all about heat, as far as i'm concerned, water cooled bikes (K/F bikes) need synthetic the LEAST, followed by oilheads and finally airheads. regularly changed oil meeting or exceeding the grade set forth by the manufacturer should be fine

it amazes me that this discussion, repeated thousands of times over many, many years can still cause such heated arguments. people who buy expensive oil seem to feel the need to justify the expense. throw the cheapest oil you can find in your bike and run it as normal, i bet you won't notice the difference.

The Motor Company's specialty........

Don't feel like participating in the April oil thread................but H-D's "specialty" is NOT manufacturing motorcycles..........it's their awesome MARKETING machine!!!!:german

"""I attended a 'Tech Session' recently at my local BMW dealer, and according to the BMW Master Mechanic giving the presentation, automotive oils are a 'no-no' in cycles. Too many detergents and other 'performance' additives that do not treat our seals and inner components kindly""". qouted from Greenwald

I'll have to say that the head mechanic at the dealership I use recommended any good grade oil in the correct viscosity rated for the season. And further said that the only difference in the Bmw oil (manufactured by Spectro oils of America) is that it has an API classification of SG. And since the SG class, oil has had more refining leading to a more superior lubricant i.e. "SH","SL"and so on. Supposedly the lower in the alphabet the greater the refining process. An effort to keep the mineral based oils competetive with the synthetic. But who knows he may have had similar brainwashing sessions as your mechanic. LOL

Actually the rear cylinder on a v twin runs much hotter than the front for some reason. Airflow perhaps? Harley oil and Mobile1 Vtwin oil have a special additive package s for this hig heat condition.
robert r1100rt r1150gs ST1300

"""I attended a 'Tech Session' recently at my local BMW dealer, and according to the BMW Master Mechanic giving the presentation, automotive oils are a 'no-no' in cycles. Too many detergents and other 'performance' additives that do not treat our seals and inner components kindly""". qouted from Greenwald

I'll have to say that the head mechanic at the dealership I use recommended any good grade oil in the correct viscosity rated for the season. And further said that the only difference in the Bmw oil (manufactured by Spectro oils of America) is that it has an API classification of SG. And since the SG class, oil has had more refining leading to a more superior lubricant i.e. "SH","SL"and so on. Supposedly the lower in the alphabet the greater the refining process. An effort to keep the mineral based oils competetive with the synthetic. But who knows he may have had similar brainwashing sessions as your mechanic. LOL

Nope.
The reason for SG or SH reccomendation is that the later ratings have specified less of the anti-wear additives to be kind to the catalytic convertors in cars. BMW just says SG or SH to insure the former levels of these additives.

Amsoil

Google Amsoil's web they have a specific test that was conducted for bike motor oils, and comparison, nice read some very technical. Hope this helped.
Amsoil has a higher Zink content that protects bearings ..:wave

Michael..:thumb

Thanks Michael - Good AMSOIL Site

Thanks for the Amsoil endorsement. I am very happy with it in my bike - glad my BMW technician recommended it.

As an afterthought, I have thrown away my 'soapbox' and vow never to raise the issue of 'best oil,' 'best filter,' 'best tire,' 'best anything!' again.

There seems to be a 'sub-culture' within the BMW ranks that will always pursue inexpensive alternatives, from 'Tomahawk Retreaded tires' to 'Fram filters' to 'Dollar Store oil' to 'Autolite plugs,' rather than spend a little extra for high-quality parts and fluids. Their choice - I just don't feel 'victimized' by my dealer's advice, or 'ripped off' by putting high-end maintenance back into my expensive motorcycle.

Ride safe, and enjoy your machine (whatever oil, filter, tire, plug or gasket it may have!).

Thanks for the Amsoil endorsement. I am very happy with it in my bike - glad my BMW technician recommended it.

As an afterthought, I have thrown away my 'soapbox' and vow never to raise the issue of 'best oil,' 'best filter,' 'best tire,' 'best anything!' again.

There seems to be a 'sub-culture' within the BMW ranks that will always pursue inexpensive alternatives, from 'Tomahawk Retreaded tires' to 'Fram filters' to 'Dollar Store oil' to 'Autolite plugs,' rather than spend a little extra for high-quality parts and fluids. Their choice - I just don't feel 'victimized' by my dealer's advice, or 'ripped off' by putting high-end maintenance back into my expensive motorcycle.

Ride safe, and enjoy your machine (whatever oil, filter, tire, plug or gasket it may have!).

Very good. Me too. I was just talking about this with someone and we were wondering if some of those folks who ride motorcycles were more into this "ripping me off" kind of thinking. Some of it sounds almost angry. We wondered if the attitude and the anger came first and the place to focus it, second.
Someone said that everybody puts their pants on one leg at a time and I think that is true for manufacturers too. I don't see quality easy to maintain in a made for discount store product. This is not to say that quality is always the higher priced brand. But, better to keep an open mind and lose the attitude I think.

I always use the wonderful Hans Christian Andersen allegory about the emperor who had no clothes as a metaphore for BMW "culture." If some folks want to carry on that expensive and or brand specific oil is going to make any difference to engine longevity as opposed to high quality and less expensive off the shelf alternatives, and dismiss the mountain of empirical and anecdotal proof/testimony to the contrary, then I guess they see "tuxedos" and that makes them "special." Sorry, I see no "clothes." Guess I'm not special.

Do Not Use Harley Davidson Motor Oil In Any Other Motorcycle!

Harley Davidson oil will cause immediate catastrophic failure of your oilhead!!

Harley oil is formulated from whale oil for proper lubrication of the unique top grain leather piston rings and wooden bearing surfaces.

Just kidding. Actually HD oil is made by Specto, the same manufacturer who supplies BMW oil.

Synthetic oil heat transfer question.

I do NOT know if it is true, but has anyone seen any data that proves or disproves that synthetic oils do not transfer heat as well as conventional oils. I have heard this several times but never seen any test data.

I think there is no question that synthetics retain their viscosity better and resist breakdown better in extreme high heat situations. But that doesn't seem to be a problem on my oilhead.

Back