• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

hand / Wind protection

K

keybuster324

Hello all, I have a 94 R1100RS and would like some wind protection for my hands (it has been around 30 degrees several mornings since saturday). It seems that I have seen someone refering to using the hand guards from a GS model for wind protection, this kit goes for around $85.00 which seems OK if they fit, but it looks like the inner mount needs to mount to a round handlebar and my 94 has the rubber mounted bars that are made of several units and the part that angles down is rectangular. Has anyone done this and do i need to fabricate a new inner mount or are there other options? thanks, Bob Druge

One idea Bob, which I have used in the past, is to pick up a pair of Motocross hand guards (Acerbis, UFO, etc). They are cheap enough that you won't feel bad about trimming them to fit.

I attached them with zip ties by punching a couple of 'lacing' holes in the guards. You could also use some automotive trim mounting tape to make the installation nice and secure. When warm weather rolls back around simply snip the zip ties, pull the guards off and store them until the next autumn.

I've known RS riders who leave guards on year round. They claim they help in the rain. But heck, I ride an RT so I've never noticed any particular problem with rain or cold :p

I'm intrigued by HippoHands. My next-door-neighbor motorcycle officer swears by them. He can't wear gloves due to the need to rapidly access his side arm - not something most of us need to worry about, but he says they work.

I notice the model suggested for R1150RT's specifically mentions the product is for use on bars without stalk mirrors on the bars. My RT-P has stalk mirrors on the bars. Does anyone know what model of HippoHands will work on an 02-04 RT-P with stalk mirrors on the bars?

a few years ago i installed hand guards on a K-75 S that had K-75 C bars on it.
i used a pair of airhead GS guards, i seem to remember each guard had a two point mounting method. one point fit the K-75 switch housing, while the other point didn't. i secured the loose end with a zip-tie. rode that bike for several years that way. guards were still in place when i sold the bike.
being cheap is the mother of invention.

I have used the stock GS handguards on my 94 R1100RS for many years. The guard mounts attach to each lh and rh control pod so it doesn't matter whether the handlebar are one-pice tubular or the original RS style rubber mounted bars. Just make sure you use the early year R1100GS guards to be compatible with your older RS.

I know because I have used the same hand guards with both types of handlebar on my RS. They mount easily and do make a difference in wind/water protection. Just remember that the LH mirror uses left-hand thread when you remove it. The mirrors need to be removed to install the guard mounts, then reinstalled once the guard mounts are in place.

I'm a motorcop in the NW. We use watershed-rainwear.com here. Very similar to hippohands but made to use with the stalk mirrors. Made with goretex, have a reflective stripe and can be insulated. I think they are around $95 a set.

I have a 94 R1100RS and I installed the the hand guard kit from a 95 R1100GS. All parts match up with no problems.

I'm intrigued by HippoHands. My next-door-neighbor motorcycle officer swears by them. He can't wear gloves due to the need to rapidly access his side arm - not something most of us need to worry about, but he says they work.

I notice the model suggested for R1150RT's specifically mentions the product is for use on bars without stalk mirrors on the bars. My RT-P has stalk mirrors on the bars. Does anyone know what model of HippoHands will work on an 02-04 RT-P with stalk mirrors on the bars?

I have a 2004 1150RT but with GS mirrors in addition to stock mirrors. I use ATV grip covers, kinda like hippo hands, and just had to mod them slightly to fit the mirror stalks. Works fine, I wear summer gloves with them and can put my hands in and out just fine.

Full Report Here

I'm a motorcop in the NW. We use watershed-rainwear.com here. Very similar to hippohands but made to use with the stalk mirrors. Made with goretex, have a reflective stripe and can be insulated. I think they are around $95 a set.

Those look great. When the brochure has a photo of my bike with the product installed, I know it's going to work! :clap

I've emailed them requesting additional information.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Just another Idea

I put stock GS hand guards on my '04 RS.
Bar back adapters gave me fairing clearance.
some minor custom machining required for steering head bolt down.

IMGP0007.bmp.jpg

Last edited:
I have the GS guards on my R1150R and it was the best 30 clams I've ever spent on my bike. Heated grips do a fair job keeping your palms warm but the knuckles still get cold.

I leave mine on year round because they do help a lot in the rain. They almost negate the need for rain gloves.

Touratech makes a sweet little spolier add on for both the 1150 & 1200 handguards. as nice as the stockers were, this made a big diff in rain and long cold runs. have them on Helens 1150 and my GS...sorry for the buggy pic...does that well too:laugh

Attachments

• SANY0006.JPG
    SANY0006.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 224
I have the GS guards on my R1150R and it was the best 30 clams I've ever spent on my bike. Heated grips do a fair job keeping your palms warm but the knuckles still get cold.

I leave mine on year round because they do help a lot in the rain. They almost negate the need for rain gloves.

Do you have any photos of your installation? Did you have to modify your guards? I got 1150GS guards for my R1150R but it appears that they will not bolt on without modification. It looks like I will have to at least cut away the bottom inside mounting flange to prevent interference with the group of cables and hoses. The inside mounting bracket that clamps to the handlebar appears to have its mounting hole at a different angle than the guard's flange; that is, the riser part of the GS bar must be a different angle than the R bar. The flange is flexible --especially if I cut away the bottom -- so that's not an insurmountable problem.

Previously, I started another thread about this question. I'd love to see the finished result on an R1150R before I start cutting on ninety bucks worth of plastic. Thanks.

that picture I had attached is on a R1150R, I had to insert the cutout of the handguard around the cables, I believe I had to cut one zip tie on the handlebars to free the bundle away from the bar. It does all fit without cutting anything...trust me, I did three of these on R1150R's.
I also recall if you bolt the bar end loosely in place, it helps a lot to line up bar clamp location. These pics are not the best, let me know if you need more detail

http://henzilla.smugmug.com/gallery/3728950#214074441

http://watershed-rainwear.com/HandlebarCvr.pdf

I've ordered the above product, which was quite the experience. Two emails were never responded to. A voice mail was ignored. It seems this company doesn't like to sell to private citizens - only police departments. They say the product will either ship this week if they have it in stock, or in a couple of weeks if they have to make more.

Not a great way to run a railroad. Let's hope their product is better than their customer service!

To attach to a R1150R you only have to trim a small portion from the left to allow the fast idle to engage. A dremel works perfectly. It takes a while to get all the things lined up correctly. Cut nothing except for the overly tightened cable ties. Only snug the clamp then tighten the bar end mounts to keep from touching the levers, this is critical.

Have had a version of "HippoHands" since about 1980. Work great on the coldest days (20-30 degrees F) with thin summer gloves and heated grips on low.

I think that it is because it creates a dead air space around your hands that is kept warm by your hands and the grips. The version I have has velcro on the top at the handlebar end that allows the morror stalk to pass through.

Best part is that you retain dexterity with your hands that you lose with thick gloves on. I have ridden without them and used very warm gloves- but the insulation of the gloves doesn't allow the heat of the grips to come through and the cold air around the handlebar carries much of the heat away. With thin gloves and the HippoHands, it can get too hot (not complaining on real cold days) and sometimes I need to cycle the grips on and off to stay comfortable.

Sound like I like them? Absolutely.

John

quickconnectinstall012.jpg
[/IMG]

This is a pic of the throttle side on my 1100GS. I bought a set of "KTM" hand guards not knowing if I could modify them to work but the dealer said I could bring them back as long as I didn't alter them. Turns out, that with a little imagination & simple mods, they worked. Just adding this to show what I did with a similar problem.

Back