• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1200RS Fatal Flaw (?)

wayfast

New member here, and did the first 300+ mile ride today on my recently acquired 2001 K1200RS. My previous Beemer was a 2007 R-RT, so that is my frame of reference. I love the power and handling of the K-bike, and I can deal with the lack of wind protection, limited range and cramped ergos. What's harder is the brutally-stiff throttle-return spring and hair-trigger throttle response. After 30 minutes of fighting that short-throw throttle and industrial-strength spring my wrist is cramping and my right hand goes numb. My throttle mechanism has been thoroughly checked and works as designed. The bike has always been well-maintained and kept in a clean and heated space.

I've heard others talk about this so I know it's not just me, but has anyone resolved this issue in a way that can be duplicated? I'm thinking, for example, that the K-GT must use a more forgiving throttle mechanism because I've never heard this complaint about that model. If so, I'm hoping that the GT's throttle mechanism could be transplanted into an RS since the machines are nearly identical under the skin. It would seem to me in all the years that this bike has been around that someone must have found a way to alleviate the challenge of managing that RS throttle grip and bring it more in line with every other motorcycle. Just hoping to not have to re-invent the wheel.

Whatever solutions are out there I would welcome a chance to ride this bike for more than 30 minutes at a time. Thanks.

IMG_8514.jpg

I have no experience with this particular model, but have found the combination of foam sleeves to make the grip larger, along with the addition of a “wrist rest” or “throttle boss”, makes it easier to apply leverage to work the throttle. Both are easy and inexpensive things to try.

It does take a little time to get used to larger grips, but seems normal enough after a while.

Good luck finding your solution.

fatal flaw

If you search the forum you will find others who have this problem.
Apparently there are 3 return springs on the throttle and 1 or more
can be removed. I'm still procrastinating on applying this fix. Ouch!

Welcome to the BMW MOA way fast! You'll get an answer soon, I'm sure because you've tapped the font of all BMW motorcycle knowledge.

Gorgeous piece of machinery for sure! How did you get those wheels so clean? I'll bet you took lessons from RangerReece aka "Mr. Compulsive."

If you search the forum you will find others who have this problem.
Apparently there are 3 return springs on the throttle and 1 or more
can be removed. I'm still procrastinating on applying this fix. Ouch!

That's what I remember, you remove one of the springs.
The newer K1200RS and GT still had a strong throttle spring but you could get a break by using cruise control..
I just lived it on our K1200RS bikes.
The strange thing is my wife never complained about it.

Welcome to the forum.

While my brother and I were on our 5 state tour in June, his 07K1200GT throttle return quit working. He had throttle, just not return. I called Sturgis as we were 3-4 days out but headed into that area.

They got the bike in early the morning we arrived [ 8:45 am ], checked it over and brought it back around front stating parts only available in Germany, listing 3 oem parts to be replaced. Mentioned that there was an upgraded part [ which they listed on the order sheet for his mechanic back home to order for him ].

No charge to get the bike in, take the throttle apart and discover parts aren't available in the US.

Back